Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

(((@Hip Hip Hooray! ))) I so understand where you're coming from regarding the grief. My mom passed away in the spring of 2014 after a tulmultuous time where I battled my sister over her care. I was still in Germany and had contacted Adult Protective Services in Colorado who had to remove her from her home and hospitalize her. It looked like things were getting stabilized and then she died three weeks after the intervention. It was so sudden and I didn't get to say goodbye. I just powered through at the time and then last year we were in midst of moving/settling.
Last week would have been her 87th birthday and it all hit me like a tsunami.
Sorry for unloading that here. I hear your grief. *Hugs*
It sounds like your audition went well and how great that you are connecting with all of these great people. I love The Parent Trap. It's one of my all time favorites. :)
Also, the dance class sounds fantastic. If you do decide to go I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts about the teacher and her experience post THR.
I'm glad you're happy with your healing. You've certainly gone about it in a wonderful manner and that has really paid off. Way to go, Girl! :)

@Hipster Girl, yes, the slippers are fabulous! They are SO soft. They honestly feel like silk to me.
Regarding the icing and elevating: I still do both every night and also after I come home from PT. I had pretty much stopped, but was experiencing the expected stiffness from both the exercising and just getting back to my regular pre op routine. I figured it couldn't hurt so I incorporated them again and it does help. Now, whether it's a placebo effect or what...I'm not sure, but I can tell a difference between when I do it and when I don't. :)
 
Hi Gals! @Hipster Girl, I completely agree with the philosophy, "The only way out is through." I know that I get a huge sense of relief if I move my emotions through my body and release them. I will keep visualizing you getting a job that is something you love and that pays an excellent salary. I'm impressed that you've filled out so many applications. I can tell from your writing that you are excellent.

@DeepBreath, How sad about your mom. No wonder you felt out of sorts last week. That kind of family stuff is really intense. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

I heard back from the dance teacher who has had both of her hips replaced. I told her I was being very cautious. She told me to continue to be. She had one hip replaced with turn out, and the other hip replaced without, 17 and a half years later. I don't have turn out with these hips, and I don't want to force it. I think I'll just do the Pilates section and see if I can do the barre standing on a parallel standing leg. It'll be nice just to hear the music again, and to be around dancers.

I've been doing a Kundalini Yoga set the past few days. It's really energizing me. One of the ladies in my knitting group asked me if I was dancing again. She said that she noticed that I have a spring in my step. I have been watching Fosse's Beat Me Daddy Eight to the Bar on Youtube, and teaching myself the choreography. It's a fabulous piece. It's funny that she picked up on that...I'm being very careful, though. No jumps or anything fancy.

Time to do my yoga. I'm so glad you are enjoying the slippers. Right now I'm working on a sweater. I love hand knit sweaters! This one is purple llama and silk yarn. It's going to be gorgeous! I had the yarn in my stash. A quiet luxury...

Take care of yourselves...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - Your posts are so inspiring to me at your 6 month anniversary time. Being on week 9 of recovery and facing #2 surgery I can use a bit of inspiration. So it is great to hear of your creative endeavours and trying more and more things with those new hips as they continue to progress in their healing.

Hope you have a wonderful time at that dance class. Lovely to hear the woman in your knitting class noticed a spring in your step! Sounds like you're having fun with the Fosse choreography.

Sorry about the grief over your mom and your wonderful past experiences in dance. Grief does come in waves thank goodness. Coming and going and not all at once. But it can come up so unexpectedly. Sounds like you are dealing with it in a very healthy way.

Good luck with knitting the sweater. It does sound divine!
 
Hi @Readysetgo, Thank you for your nice post. I may have had a little too much fun with the Fosse choreography. The muscles around my tailbone are sore today. It's very mild, but just a reminder that I can't get too overly enthusiastic. I added some more Pilates exercises to my yoga last night. That might be why...I'm not sure. I just took a bath and took an Ibuprofin. I think I'll ice my hips and my tailbone tonight. I didn't do any exercising today. I just walked the dogs. That's plenty.

I hope things are going well for you. I'll have to catch up on your thread. I got a warning when I went to click on the site this afternoon. Something about malware. Has anyone else received that notice? I ended up clicking on through the email.

The sweater is coming along nicely. I'm using a diamonds pattern that I really like. I'm having trouble putting it down...it's addictive. I haven't made a sweater in quite a while. I forgot how rewarding it is.

All the Best to Everyone...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for the kind words. :)
Ooh, you used a term regarding the dance teacher's hip that I haven't encountered before: turn out. What does that mean? She sounds like a neat lady and someone who would give great advice about the THR experience. I read about the things you'll cautiously do and think, "Heck, if I had a hundred years I couldn't do that!" :heehee:
Yaay for the spring in your step! What a wonderful thing to hear.
The sweater you're working on sounds fantastic! I love the words you used to describe the yarn: 'a quiet luxury'. :)
I'm sorry to hear your tailbone area is bothering you. It's just so doggone easy to get things tweaked, isn't it?
The bath, ibuprofen, and icing sound like a great plan.
I hope you have a great evening and are happily knitting away. Take care, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! - I have just started reading your threads. I'm only on page 10. I wanted to say that your posts are so encouraging and actually soothing as well.
I just read how you and your Mother share a birthday. I am sorry for your loss. Loosing a Mother is so hard. My Mother passed away 6 yrs ago yesterday. Her birthday is/was the day before mine. The 'first' bday without her was very hard. So I know what you are feeling and going thru. Be kind to yourself and let yourself grieve. Whether it's crying or whatever. I have my Mothers journals. I even saved her answering machine where I have listened to some of the messages she recorded.
I think going through my surgery next wk without having my Mom say "everything will be ok" will make me sad. My husband is good at encouragibg me that, but there is just something special hearing encouragement from your Mother.
Looking forward to reading more of your story.
Have a blessed day tomorrow
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - Just wanted to let you know I just got that malware or whatever warning notice. Got out, then tried again and was fine. Odd. Hope nothing is screwy with the site...

Hope your tailbone is feeling better. I do find that pulling back from being too active when I've overdone it and taking a break really helps. I haven't been icing lately. Think the few frigid days we had last month turned me off of ice! Using my heatpad instead. But I'll definitely be back on the ice and will be getting a few more ice packs for surgery next week!

That sweater is sounding more and more delicious. Enjoy your knitting!
 
Hi @DeepBreath! Yes, I have been happily knitting. I went to the Panera knitting group today. It's hard for me to stop. Once I get going on a sweater, I want to continue and finish it. I'm really happy with this yarn and the design. I reworked an old vintage sweater pattern that I bought on EBay. It's so much fun. I took it with me to my knitting group today. It's fun to see what everyone is making.

Turnout is external rotation. We use it in ballet. It's not natural, and is probably the reason I had to have my hips replaced. I wore away all of the cartilage by forcing my hips to rotate as far as possible. I won't be doing that anymore. I'm hoping the class will be something I can do without feeling pressured to push my body. We'll see. I'll try it on Friday.

I hope you are feeling better, too. My pain from yesterday has faded. It's amazing what rest, ice, and Ibuprofin can do! I did some vacuuming and got my orchard watered. I'm going to water the front cottage garden tonight. It's very warm here....almost 80 degrees! Take care, friend.
 
Hi @Arlene56, Happy Birthday! I'm sorry about your mom. I'm sure she will be watching over you during your surgery. I know what you mean, I wanted to call my mom, and it was painful not to be able to do that. Thank you for the post. My thread is very long, but hopefully the first part will be helpful, since it was written right after the surgery. I'm glad it is soothing you. If I had known how much easier it was going to be than I had imagined, I would have had a lot less fear.

I saved messages from my mom on my phone, too. It's nice to listen to her voice once in a while. I think she would be very pleased with my hip replacements. She had arthritis, too. Her mother had both knees replaced. The last time she saw me she said, "You're walking like me." Now I can walk normally.

I will be thinking of you when you have your surgery next week. I'm sure it will go well. It's such a relief once the waiting period is complete.
 
Hi @Readysetgo, Yes, I find that pulling back after overexerting helps, too. I have a tendency to overdo. That's good that you're getting more ice packs for your surgery. I ran out of ice when the weather was really hot. It's such a mainstay after having a THR. It must be really cold where you live. I can see why you wouldn't feel like icing. Sounds like a good climate for a knitter!

I'll keep up on your thread and will be thinking of you next week. I remember the countdown. That's the hardest part. I just tried to focus on the preparation. Take care of yourself...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I was wondering the same thing about what turnout was. I can see how the extreme external rotation like in ballet could be very damaging over time. My surgeon had told me that a lot of dancers and cheerleaders have hip dysplasia which is how they are so flexible. I was a cheerleader back in high school and I had dysplasia but didn't know it until I scheduled my THR.

Your sweater sounds beautiful - I absolutely LOVE purple. You have quite the knack for knitting and it's great that you are really enjoying it. I hope you get a few cooler days so you can wear your sweater. 80 degrees sounds lovely but definitely not sweater weather. :)

I think it is so nice that you saved your mom's messages and can listen to them and hear her voice once in awhile. I bet that is really nice and comforting. I am sure she would be very happy about your hip replacements and how well you are progressing. :yes:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh my gosh, you have my mouth watering over the soups you are making! I love Albondigas! It is SO fabulous, as is potato leek soup. Yum. That's what I love about winter time. I am so inspired to cook soups and stews, which I just love.

I was just reading your old posts and had not heard of Albondigas before and just looked up a recipe and it looks delicious! I love Mexican food and love cilantro (coriander In Aus) but hubby doesn't like it at all! I will have to convince him to make it for my recovery. I love soups too and glad my surgeries are in winter so I can enjoy them. Better get a news low cooker!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Thank you, @Hipster Girl. I think my mom would be happy, too. Her hip was giving out on her before she died. Before she died I told her I was afraid to go to the doctor. I was pretty sure that I needed a hip replacement. She reacted very intensely. She said, "I don't think you have any idea of what a hip replacement entails." She thought the rehab would take months. She was also referring to the cost. Thank God I had been saving money. It was actually much easier to recover at home than I expected. Things have come so far since her mother had her knees replaced.

Last night I found out that my favorite Broadway conductor died. H was 85, and passed away yesterday morning. It was a real blow. He and I had been in contact over the past few years. We worked together when I was 22, and again when I was 33. I had just been to visit him last summer. He was so encouraging and kind to me. He was working on a new show about Liberace and told me that I was right for it. He sent me to an acting coach here in LA, and told me which songs to sing. He wrote down the shows that we had done together and asked me to keep in touch with him. He's the main reason I had the courage to get my hips replaced. I knew I couldn't be limping at an audition. I'm heartbroken that he is gone.

I made my first batch of real soap yesterday. I had been collecting the ingredients for years, but was afraid to work with the lye. Also, I wanted to get some molds. A lady in my knitting group gave me her old ones, so I decided to give it a go. It's taking a while to harden, but it looks beautiful and creamy. I used olive oil, coconut oil, distilled water, and lye. I added my favorite fragrance from a soap making company. It's such a good feeling to do something new. I was nervous about converting the recipe from the metric system to ours. I was also freaked out about using the scales. You have to weigh everything, and I felt unsure. I had never used electric scales before yesterday. It was easy. I caught a glance of myself in the mirror. I looked very comical in my goggles and rubber gloves, like a total character. But, it worked, and I busted through my self doubt. It will take about six weeks for the soap to cure. I still have a couple of bars from the melt and pour sample kit I ordered from Brambleberry. Some of the ladies in my knitting group said they'd like to buy some. I wonder how much I should charge? The molds have beautiful roses and flowers. They are so pretty and feminine. The soap is a soft cream color. I've heard it's great for shampoo, too. It feels good to accomplish a goal that I've been procrastinating on for several years!

@dandy_candi, I think you'll love the soup! It's delicious. Let me know how it goes.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so sorry to hear of your friend/mentor passing. At least you have all of the lovely memories together and the strength they gave you to allow you to book your surgery.

I love the soap making idea! They sound lovely. I didn't realise soap took so long to set! I tend to use soap free body wash because soap tends to dry my skin out but your ingredients sound wet moisturising. I may have to try some soap making in my recovery- do the ingredients cost much? I could make some for hubby :)

Hope you have a good day.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - So sorry to hear about your mentor. He sounds like he was a wonderful man. It's hard loosing someone who made an impact in our lives. Prayers to you.

Soap making sounds so interesting. There is something so soothing smelling soaps. We have a store close by called "Lush". Just love going into that store. I hope your soap making is a success.
 
Oh, @Hip Hip Hooray! I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. That is such a painful thing. He sounds like a gem. You're in my thoughts.
Thank you for explaining what 'turn out' is. So much of what dancers do is absolutely incredible and I can see where a lot of it would be very hard on the body.
The soap making is so cool! I don't blame you for being wary of the lye. That would make me nervous as well. It sounds like it's turning out great though. :)
I agree with @dandy_candi about the soup. They're great during recovery.
How's the sweater coming along?
 
Hi @dandy_candi, I buy the soap making ingredients in bulk, so it was kind of expensive to get started. I bought a digital scale, candy thermometers, glass bowls, a spatula, molds, oils, lye, fragrance, goggles, and rubber gloves. I purchased the supplies over time. Now that I've made my first batch, I'm hooked! It does take about 6 weeks to cure, but I don't mind. This soap is very moisturizing because it contains a lot of olive oil. The Soap Queen has some great articles and Youtube videos. They also sell a beginner's kit at Brambleberry that looks pretty reasonably priced. I just went ahead and bought things in bulk. I started out with their melt and pour sample kit. Next I may try making a goat's milk soap recipe.

Oh, I see you are in Australia. They have companies there that sell soap supplies, too. It's really fun.
 
Hi @Arlene, At first I was worried, because it took a while to go to trace. It's taking a while to harden, but it is happening, slowly but surely. Fragrance is my favorite part of soap. I have a few scents that really smell divine!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, The sweater is coming along nicely, thanks. I'm finishing up the front panel. Last night I went and took class from the teacher who used to dance for NYCB and for Bob Fosse. She's in her seventies now, and she has had both hips replaced. The first part of the class was Pilates. I thought of you. The second half was ballet barre. I did most of the Pilates. It was a little fast for me, but I adjusted. She was really flexible with me, and told me to skip some things. For the barre work, I did everything in a parallel position. It felt so weird. I don't have any pain today, but I think my own routine is just as good. The girls in the class were really sweet. It's just kind of pricey to drive over 60 miles RT and then to pay $16.00 for the class. It was good to see her, though. She is limping badly and said that she is numb. She has a very stilted gait. She jokes that she is crippled. I'm seeing this over and over again with dancers in their 70's who have had their hips done at my age. I had a much better outcome, and I really want to keep it that way. She had a bad LLD after her first hip replacement. I think it's better for me to do my easy yoga and basic pilates at home. She wants to meet for coffee and talk about hips. I appreciate her time and experience. I'll do that and ask her more questions. She said that she went bankrupt and lost three houses after having her hip done. It sure makes me think. Her house that she lives in is worth a million dollars, but she wants to leave it to her son. I'm really looking ahead 20 and 30 years, and thinking about what the best decisions are for the future.

She wants my surgeon's name. She thinks she should have revisions on both sides. Food for thought.

I hope everyone here is doing well. I am still getting that notice that says this is an attack site. I wonder why?
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I think you are extremely wise to take the approach that you are in relation to your recovery. Everybody has to make their own choices as far as what they will and won't do after THR and I guess no decision is the 'wrong' one. I am totally with you though. I would rather lead a bit more modest lifestyle and (hopefully) have these hips for the long run rather than to go full bore and possibly need a revision. Who knows...that might happen anyway, but I do think there are precautions we can take.
The teacher sounds like a really great source of information. I'm sad that she is limping so badly. I hope she gets some good answers from your surgeon or whomever else she consults and is able to be comfortable going forward.

Hmmm...as far as the 'attack site' notification; that is so odd. I know you probably have already done it, but whenever I get odd stuff coming up on my computer I make sure and do a thorough virus scan.
You've been on this site for months and obviously haven't had any problems, so I don't understand why it would be doing that now. When it happens, does the notification try to get you to use a certain product to 'clean' your computer? Just wondering if it's some sort of spam.
I hope it stops doing that for you because that's certainly irritating!

Have a good day, friend! I'm excited to hear how your lovely sweater turns out. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom