Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @DeepBreath, Thanks. I probably should do a virus scan. No, it doesn't give me a notification to clean my computer. I'm not very computer savvy, though. I've read that some other people are getting it here, too.

I don't know if this woman has done that much exercise. I think it's more of a case of the surgery didn't go well. I'm not really sure. She had told me that she wasn't pleased with her hip replacements. We are really fortunate that we had excellent outcomes. I want to keep talking with people who are older, and have had THR. I think there's a lot to learn from their experiences.

My hips feel great today. I walked the dog and did some Hatha Yoga. I made some spaghetti with parmesan, garlic, butter, and herbs for dinner. I'm going to make an apple crisp, too.

I just popped the soap out of the Victorian molds. They are just beautiful! I am so pleased. I love the detail. They have little roses on them. They're so feminine. I was a little nervous, because this was my first batch of cold processed soap. At first it looked like they weren't going to harden, but now they look great. I put the molds in the freezer, which really helped. Soap making is so much fun! It started out kind of green from the olive oil. Once in the molds it looked tan. Now it's gradually changed to a lovely cream color. I am really happy with this soap! It's the little things...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I am not very tech savvy either and any weird glitch really gets under my skin. I did see where somebody had responded to you saying they were getting that message as well. Do you use Windows or are you an Android or Apple user? There is so much odd spam floating around out there.
I agree with you about talking to people who have had THRs, especially older ones. It would be interesting to see what worked for them and what didn't. How sad that the teacher was never really happy with hers. That is a lot of stuff to go through and not be happy with the outcome.
I'm so glad your hips are feeling good! Your menu plan sounds fabulous! I love apple crisp. :)
Yaay for your successful batch of cold processed soap! It sounds lovely. What scent did use for them?
 
Hi @DeepBreath, The message is gone today. I use Windows. For the first batch of soap I used a fruity/floral fragrance that I order from Brambleberry. I also have violet, rose geranium, and something with a jasmine mix. I love lightly scented soaps! I'm already eager to make another batch. I found some avocado, castor, and meadowfoam oils in my stash of supplies. I remember my mom kept encouraging me to try making it. I was too chicken. Now I feel comfortable and excited about it. I'll send some to my dad for Easter.

It's really interesting to me to talk to dancers who have had their hips replaced. It seems like stress and strain take their toll on the body, too. My body seems to really like the new level of exercise, so I will continue the dog walking, yoga, pilates, and a little bit of parallel barre work. I alternate what I do, switching it around on different days. My thighs still look a little dimpled. Oh well. I guess the three years before the surgery took its toll. I feel very fortunate that I had such a good outcome.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! your soap scents sound lovely. How wonderful to do something creative like that. :)
Your exercises sound great...very healthy without putting unnecessary stress on your body. I also like alternating the things I do. That way they don't become hum-drum and work different areas.
I hope you're enjoying your weekend. :)
 
Aww @Hip Hip Hooray! I am so sorry to read about your friend passing. It is so hard to lose a good friend like that and someone who has had such an impact in our lives. It sounds like he was a wonderful friend and mentor to you and I'm so sorry for your loss. (((Hugs)))

That is scary about all those older dancers who have had their hips replaced at our age and are now in need of revisions. That definitely speaks volumes about the consequences of doing too much. We just have to accept that there are some activities we may have to reduce or even stop doing altogether if we want our hips to last, but I think it is a small price to pay for no pain. You are so wise in your approach to your recovery and how you listen to your body. I am glad your teacher is going to see your surgeon and hope she can get some relief - it sounds like she is in so much pain.
.
I also kept getting the site attack notice every time I tried to log on to Bonesmart for a day or two so I would just exit out. I wonder what happened? It seems okay this morning so far.......(fingers crossed it stays that way).
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - I am so sorry you lost your friend the conductor. How amazing that he was still working and writing a new show on Liberace! So fun to think you were perfect for the show as well. Maybe someone will pick up where he left off with it? Anyway, sorry you are having to grieve again and sorry for the loss of a friend.

Oh I love hearing about your soap making! It sounds magical the way they change color and everything. My husband teases my daughter and I because we can't resist going into soap stores and sniffing everything. I love going into flower shops for the same reason. Your scents sound lovely. Your dad will be thrilled to get those as a gift!

I hope your older dancer friend can get a good revision with your surgeon. You're lucky you can talk to other dancers who have had hip replacements.

Good for you for exploring and finding what exercise works just right for your body. It is different for everyone and sometimes difficult to find what's best. And then it keeps changing on top of that!

Hope you had a really nice weekend! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! - you are an inspiration. I love reading your thread. You are very descriptive. Have a wonderful weekend
Thank you, Arlene. I've got to catch up on your thread. It looks like you are just about up to bat! On deck is how I describe it. I will be thinking of you and sending healing vibes. I'm sure you will have a good outcome.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I keep having to remind myself that I don't need to do too much exercise. Yesterday I did some tree trimming in the backyard orchard, 15 mins. of cardio at the gym, and then walked the dogs a few miles. I'm finding that if I don't do my exercise in the morning, I am too pooped out at night. I think I need to switch my routine. Thank you for the card, by the way. It's on my mantle. I meant to send you a pm!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl! I love your new avatar. It's so pretty. I've been thinking of changing mine, too. It's been feeling like Spring here. Last night was an abrupt switch. I was so cold that at 2:30 a.m. I changed into flannel pajamas. I also put a second hand knit alpaca blanket on the bed.

I don't know if these dancers would have needed revisions either way. It makes me so grateful that my legs are exactly the same length. It was a big investment to pay cash for the surgical fee, but I feel like it was worth it. My surgeon is so exact. I think the table that he co-invented makes a big difference, too. It seems like a very complicated surgery to perform. They work in such a small space of the body. It still boggles my mind when I visualize the procedure.

Yes, I deeply miss the conductor. I practice every afternoon, and talk to him when I do. I promised him I would keep singing. His name is Jack Lee, and there is a wonderful article on line about him in Variety. If you google his name and conductor, it appears. He had such an incredible career. I feel very lucky that he was in my life.

I hope you are doing well. Your new interview outfit sounds just perfect!
 
Hi @Readysetgo, Thank you for your kind words. He actually didn't write the show, he was the conductor and vocal supervisor. My dad said the same thing. I know he wrote down my name, the shows we had done together, and some other information in his binder. Another musical director could step in and do the job. There are many variables that have to align. Backing the show is the main thing. I was just really excited about the possibility of working with him.

I love the smell of soaps in soap stores, too. Some of them are so beautiful. Mine are on the drying racks now. I've already written out a couple more recipes. One is for castille soap, and the other is for goat's milk soap.

We had a lot of rain again last night. It's made such a difference here, after such a long drought. I've been pulling weeds when the sun is shining. Everything looks so much greener and healthier. I'm feeding compost to my fruit trees. I saved the rain water in my old wheelbarrow. I'm using it to water my house plants and for soap making. Some of the soap makers on line also use it for shampoo.

You're about two months out of your hip replacement. How are you feeling?
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so glad you got the card. :)
I find I'm the same way about needing to exercise in the morning. After I'm done with all the household stuff, the last thing I want to do in the evening is exercise.
I'm glad you're getting some rain. That drought is just awful.
I'll bet your home smells so wonderful from your soap making!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Yeah, I seem to get so sleepy at night. It is nice to be konk out from 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. I remember the years of not being able to sleep because of the aching hips. It's such a relief to have that behind me.

Yesterday I went on an interview to take care of a seven year old boy after school. It would be from about 6:00 p.m. until his parents get home from work. I saw the post on Facebook. A dancer friend of mine and his partner adopted the child when he was a baby. There was another woman there interviewing, as well. It went well. I worked with the father when we were 26 years old. We danced in 42nd Street together. The little boy is fun. He looks you in the eye, is upbeat, and has a good sense of humor. I could ride bikes with him, take him swimming, and help him with his homework. The parents would get home around 9:00 p.m. There wouldn't be any traffic at that time. They have a really sweet 15 year old beagle. I think it would be very doable. It doesn't seem stressful.

We'll see. The other woman there seemed very competitive. I guess she was counting on the job. I think it would be enjoyable, but I can take it or leave it. He also asked if I would work with a group of 39 second graders. He wants them to sing for the talent show. I have thirty years of teaching experience, and I do love singing. At first I said no, but then I said I would do it. I'm not sure how much that pays.

This isn't exactly what I envisioned for myself, workwise, but it's something. He was asking me about my hips. He's a Bikram yoga instructor. They were telling me about another Bikram yoga instructor/professional dancer who had to have his hip replaced. He dislocated it in a Bikram yoga class after the surgery. Ugh! When I hear stories like that, it makes me ultra cautious.

I could really feel my hips when I go home. I took a bath and did some easy yoga. Time to have a cup of coffee and do some knitting. I messed up my sweater, so I have to rip out the mistakes. Oh well...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so glad you're able to get good rest now that your hips aren't aching through the night! :)
I think the job of caring for your friend's son sounds like a very nice one. The hours don't sound too long and from your description he is neat kiddo. The adorable beagle would be another advantage. :)
Teaching the 2nd graders actually sounds fantastic. Hairy at times perhaps, but ultimately rewarding. I was a teacher's assistant for several years in my 20's and worked with a variety of age groups. While I enjoyed most of them, I found I really liked 2nd graders. They were old enough to have a bit more self control than the littler ones (who are adorable but perhaps not the easiest when you're trying to teach them something very specific) and yet didn't have the 'attitude' of some of the older kids.
How are you feeling about these alternative job opportunities? I know you're newly into your transition phase and wonder what your thoughts are. Change isn't easy, but you have such a wonderful approach to life - how to live and enjoy it, and also work. My money is on you for finding a really great opportunity and making it uniquely your own.
GAH about your friend telling you about the yoga instructor's dislocation. *sigh* I don't know what's up with people who seem bent on sharing horror stories. Does it fulfill some need in them? I don't know. (No offense to your friend) The thing about telling tales like that is that you very seldom get the full story.
Like, how far out from surgery was the yoga instructor? What kind of approach did he have? What kind of movement was he making at the time of the dislocation? Did he have any particular complications regarding his THR that would make dislocation more possible?
You have been extremely wise in your approach to returning to the activities you enjoy. I've been impressed hearing about the things you've undertaken and the manner in which you've done it. Unforeseen things can happen to anybody, but I'd be very surprised if you were to experience a dislocation simply because you know a lot about movement, how the body heals, and are very conscious of your body's dynamics.
I hope you don't worry about that. I know I tend to when somebody tells me a 'helpful' story.
Aww, man. I'm sorry about the sweater. I hope you enjoy your coffee, relaxing bath, and I know you'll soon set your knitting projects to rights. Deep breaths, friend. *Hugs*
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I felt like the new avatar was kind of symbolic not only of the change of seasons but also this new season of my life. Silly I know but it kind of represents new beginnings to me just like Spring does with new growth and flowers blooming and everything. :flwrysmile:

I will search out that article on Jack Lee this weekend. I'd be very interested to read that. He sounds like he was an incredible man and has made such a positive impact on your life.

Glad to hear you are getting a full night's sleep now. Sleep is so important. It was definitely a big investment to pay cash for your surgery - I am so impressed that you did that - but like you said, so worth it. This procedure gives us our life back and that is priceless. Was your surgeon co-inventor of the HANA table?

I am excited for you about the child care opportunity. I think it sounds like a really fun job. The hours are good and he sounds like a sweet little boy and I bet you would enjoy it. I love your approach to life and how you just kind of roll with things and take them as they come. Maybe this is what is meant for you right now at this particular season. It doesn't mean this is what you will be doing forever. I think the fact it would not be stressful is a huge plus.

There was a job opening a co-worker told me about for a shadow jury trial which for me was also one of those random opportunities and not something I would have sought out. It was a temporary position, full-time, but only lasting about 2 weeks. Unfortunately it overlaps with my final two weeks of work so I can't apply but otherwise I would have jumped on it for what sounded like a very interesting opportunity.

I can't believe it is Friday already, time is flying by! And I think this is the weekend we "spring forward" so we lose an hour of our weekend. It usually takes about 2 weeks for my body to adjust to these time changes.

:SUNsmile: Hope you have a good day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DeepBreath, Actually, the other woman who was interviewing for the job told me about the yoga instructor's dislocation. She said that he is very obsessive, and that he went back to yoga right after the surgery. It just kind of freaked me out, because this teacher is in Jersey Boys. He is an excellent dancer, and he really knows his body. I was actually going to go take his class. I had no idea that he had replaced his hip. He is the LAST person I would ever expect to dislocate. But, I don't really know him. I just admire his work. He has an excellent reputation.

The same woman told me that her father had his hip replaced. He is now back to playing soccer. I was shocked. She said that he did all of the physical therapy, so it's okay. I wouldn't feel safe doing that, but everybody is different. I noticed that she and I are not exactly compatible. I wouldn't have to work with her, though. She is a yoga student of the little boy's father. I kind of got the feeling that she didn't want any competition. She said that she's an actress, and that she takes care of people's horses and animals. We'll see what happens. I sent him a message on Facebook, and I haven't heard back from him. Oh well. There's plenty of work to be done around here.

I feel fine about these new opportunities. I was talking to my dad about it, and he was saying that it helps to rub elbows with people. My friend's partner works in wardrobe on television shows. That might be something else I could do. I love hand sewing. Also, maybe one of the other parents at the school needs a sitter. It's just good for people to see you when they are looking to hire. It makes such a difference. My dad was saying that if they just read my application, they would picture a grey haired woman over 50 who couldn't walk very well. I chuckled. (You know how I keep up on my henna!) I just have been out of work for a long time. I think it's better to do something, anything. The longer you're out of work, the more difficult it seems to be to get hired.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks for the reminder to "spring forward". The shadow jury trial sounds great. Too bad you couldn't get out of your old job to do that one. Oh well. It's just nice when people think of you when they hear of work opportunities. I may just post on Facebook that I'm looking for work. First I will see what happens with this position. He already promised the other woman the 16th, 17th, and 18th.

I think it would be fun, too. The little boy seemed attracted to me, which I didn't expect. When I got home, I realized, he doesn't have a mother. No wonder. My mom was very into the home, and I take after her that way. I started thinking about that t.v. show, The Courtship of Eddie's Father. I loved it. The little boy was so sweet.

I went to the gym yesterday, and did the machines. I think I've got the balance right now. I felt really good this morning. I've been walking a few miles a day, and I notice it seems to make my hips stiff. It's funny how just going further makes a difference. I'm back to icing and elevating a couple of times a day.

Yes, Dr. Matta co invented the HANA table. He is brilliant. I am so glad that I was able to go to him. He has brought this surgery so far. I really admire his dedication and commitment. Time to walk the dogs and water my pansies! Toodles...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I think your dad is spot on. My parents always told me that as well, along with 'Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know'. It definitely helps to get your face out there.
Oh my goodness, the wardrobe for television thing sounds wonderful and I think you'd be so good at it.
LOLing at your dad's mention of folks mistakingly thinking of a 'grey haired woman over 50 who couldn't walk well'.
From that picture you posted just shortly before your surgery, you definitely do not fit that description! :)
Wow...that other lady who was talking to your friends about caring for their son sounds....interesting. People are funny. As I get older I tend to just sit back (metaphorically) and study people, especially the ones who seem to have difficulty relating to others. I wonder what makes them tick. I've encountered people in the past few years who honestly seem to go out of their way to make life more difficult than it needs to be and wonder what motivates them to do so.
Hmm...I'm sorry to hear that the yoga instructor dislocated his hip. If he was, as the woman said, obsessive and went back to it too soon that would go a ways in explaining how it happened.
My goodness, her dad went back to playing soccer? I couldn't see myself doing that either, but then again I've never played soccer in the first place. :)
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I love the thought of you caring for your pansies. I love those flowers.
As I was running errands today I saw so many crocuses in bloom. It made for such a cheerful day.
Sending good thoughts out that you hear something soon about the child care position. He sounds like a sweetie and like you two really connected.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! That is impressive that your surgeon co-invented the HANA table. I had read about the HANA table before my surgeries because they were going to use it for me also. I was conked out before I made it to the operating room the first time but I was still awake when they wheeled me in for my 2nd surgery and I remember actually seeing the table and being utterly fascinated by it. What an interesting contraption...and necessary...it's got to be very hard to get a hip patient into all the necessary positions to readily access the hip and I can see how this table makes it easier. I remember asking my surgeon about the table the day after surgery. He came to check on me and all I wanted to talk about was that table. :wink:

I just finished reading the article you mentioned in Variety magazine on Jack Lee. He was clearly very talented and the thing that stood out to me was how he was 86 and worked up until the very end, wow...what an inspiration!

It sounds like you and the little boy really hit it off so I hope that works out for you. The other woman who interviewed sounds a little too competitive. She is going to have to get used to the fact that she's not the only one applying for the job. I remember watching many, many episodes of Courtship of Eddie's Father. I can still remember the theme song: "People let me tell you 'bout my best friend...."

I think posting on Facebook that you are looking for work is a good idea. Also do you have a LinkedIn page? It seems everybody is going to LinkedIn now and one thing they told us in the career workshop I attended was to put on LinkedIn that you are looking for work. That way a potential employer knows that you are available and they know they aren't going to have to get you out of any current position. Sometimes they are trying to fill a position quickly and this makes their life easier.

Your dad was right in that it's good to rub elbows with people. My former boss is having a get-together at his home this evening and he has encouraged me to network when I get there, so hopefully I see someone who knows someone who is looking to hire someone...you just never know....it seems that's how people find jobs these days. I am not sure what is wrong with my resume but it's clearly landing in a black hole somewhere. :unsure:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Well, I didn't realize that I had a voicemail from my friend on my phone. I am going to cover the second grade talent show try out and performance for him. (if they get it.) Maybe we can combine the two, so that I practice with them after school, and then take the little boy home. I think it will be fun. I remember being in the school chorus at that age. It was so much fun! I just felt elated. I'm pleased to have my first job lined up since the surgery. Being out of work was really getting me down.

@Hipster Girl, Yes, that table is very impressive. He has a great mind. I think it's made a big difference in the surgery. Jack Lee was exceptional. Actually, the two of them both remind me of each other. They are such masters. I love being around that kind of energy. It's so inspiring.

I'd forgotten about the theme song from The Courtship of Eddie's Father. I loved that opening! It was really special. That show was ahead of its time. Times have changed so much since then...there are a lot more single parents.

I don't have a LinkedIn page. I guess I should. I hope the get-together at your former boss's house goes well. That's an excellent idea. Knowing someone really helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
 
Back
Top Bottom