Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! - Thanks for sharing those photos! They are a joy to see. Fabulous costumes, too. Very fun! I did have a feeling you were a brunette because you've mentioned using henna. Don't believe blondes can use henna? I used to use henna but now I just go to my trusty hairdresser. She's very good, yet inexpensive.

I hope your toothache has disappeared today. It must be difficult to be worrying about maybe redoing the tooth, how much $ that'll cost, if it'll affect your hips AND to be in pain at the same time. That's a lot to deal with! I just hope it all "goes away" or at least gets resolved easily and inexpensively for you. I'm sorry that novocaine shot hurt so much, too! We have new health insurance and I'm trying to find a good local dentist. I got a cleaning and some fillings replaced before my surgery. Didn't realize that dentist was NOT really in our network plus I felt they were just a bit rough. Never had a cleaning hurt so much! The assistant said some people ask for laughing gas just to get their teeth cleaned there! Well I could see why! So I'm going to try out another one eventually for more work that needs to be done (not soon though, with all the surgeries.)

Thanks again for posting those pics. Not narcissistic at all - just generous and upbeat sharing that brings a smile to our faces! More please if you get a chance! :)
 
I'm sending tons of healing vibes your way, @Hip Hip Hooray! Tooth pain is no fun and then with the added worry about infection...ugh!
I'm glad you have the antibiotics. THR is a huge blessing, but with it comes a bit of new worry where infections are concerned. I hope you get good answers at the dentist tomorrow and that nothing too invasive has to be done.

I honestly pictured you as blonde as well. Perhaps it's the California blonde image. :)
The pictures are great! Have you thought about writing a book about your experiences? I'll bet it would be really interesting.

I hope you enjoy your day and that your mouth pain stays at bay. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I hope the tooth pain has lessened and that you can get it resolved soon. I'm glad the Motrin is helping until you can get in to see the dentist.

I too love the photos - keep 'em coming! What an exciting career you have had with more to come with those new hips of yours! :yes:
 
P.S. I used to work in dental offices.. for many years and dental assisted too. If I were closer I would go with you and hold your hand... used to do that for patients that were fearful or in pain. It makes a big difference for them.

That is so sweet of you, @CricketHip. Thank you. His assistant was the same way. She's been there for years, and is very kind. I usually do well and am able to relax. This particular shot just sent me. He said it numbs the whole side of the mouth.

I slept soundly last night and woke up with no pain today. Had coffee and breakfast and everything was fine. No sensitivity. I'm not going to go back unless it acts up again. I wonder if my mouth was sore from having the crown replaced. It seems like something irritated the nerve.

Thank you for your healing thoughts. It really helped.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Yes, I think I was starting to panic. I had been reading threads on infections here, and I am very suggestible. I had sort of a mini breakdown, and then I started to feel much better. Thank you for the healing thoughts.

Yes, I've been wanting to write a book for years about my performing experiences. I need to start working on that for two hours a day. It would be a good project for me. There are some ways to self publish these days, too.

I thought of you last night when I did Pilates. I started slowly, and feel great today. No pain in the hips. I will slowly work back to a full class. It uses the smaller muscle groups. I'm excited that I can add this to my routine. I hope you are doing well.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, The motrin works like a miracle drug for me. I used it instead of prescription drugs after having my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm very relieved that it seems to be healing. I've noticed that if my emotions escalate, my pain level soars. There is definitely a connection, especially with fear.

I hope things are going well for you at work. It sounds like you have been busy there.
 
@Readysetgo, Wow...laughing gas for a cleaning. I've never had it. Have you? My dentist did the cleaning at the same time as the work, so I was numb. He's gentle and very talented. This was unusual, what happened with the novacaine shot. I hope that you find a good local dentist. (who is in your network.)

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I think that they sell henna for blondes, but I don't know anyone who has used it. I just ordered some Wow from Amazon. It's a powder that you can use to touch up your roots. It really works. That way I won't have to use the henna as regularly. It's amazing how much a difference hair color makes. I would be grey if I didn't use it.

How are you feeling these days? I'll have to catch up on your thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! I forgot about your painful shot! That is exactly right, what the Dr told you, that he was little too accurate. I've had that happen once, too. It felt like the tip of my tongue was going to blow off! Talk about a rush!

It's not a common experience and maybe just remind him of that for the next ( hope not soon!) injection in that site. From what you describe I am guessing it was for a lower tooth and you had a mandibular block, they are deeply numbing.

Glad you are feeling better. Sorry to hear you had to go down the path of real worry and upset. You are doing really well and I hope your tooth is just overly sensitive to temperatures and will settle down. The dentist might have a solution that he can paint around the tooth to help with the sensitivity, too.

It is very very cold here! Like in the single digits. But we still went outside for a walk with Rooney. I still smile broadly when out walking without that lousy bone pain. Will be glad when the muscle pain abates a bit more but I am grateful for my progress.
I loved your last photo.. and there you look a bit blonder :)
 
We're all blondes in "We're in the Money!" This is a television special that we did in Germany with Tom Jones. I am at the top, part of my head got chopped off in this photo.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - Just loving those fun photos!!

I've never tried laughing gas at the dentist. I've heard it's pleasant and effective. My recent dentist charges an out of pocket fee of $75 for it. It was tempting, but I couldn't justify it. Glad your dentist is usually gentle and that the novocaine shot was kind of a fluke.

Hope your tooth pain is really gone now for good. I was glad to hear it had subsided.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Well I finished reading your journey up until the present. What a pleasure to read and so thrilled with your ‘happy ending'! So glad you were able to get back into doing what you love. I found myself getting caught up in your daily threads like I was reading a drama and you were the protagonist. You had to get through so many hurdles to get to your goal. Such great writing that I’m sad it’s over! Not that I want you to go through this again but if you ever have to get your knees done, I see a sequel…. :heehee: I wish we were closer so I could hire you to knit me warm blankets and booties to keep me warm during my recovery! It’s cold here on the East coast! Plus, you could cook me all those wonder, healthy meals that I, myself, love. I enjoyed your pictures you posted – I did a pretty good job of painting your picture! Do you ever preform in NYC?
Cheers!
 
Hi @CricketHip, Thanks for all of your help with the dental pain. It's much better today. I feel like the warm salt water is helping to seal the gums after I eat. I'm happye to hear that you've been getting out to walk. I hope your muscle pain fades. It sure is better than the bone on bone pain, though.

@Readysetgo, Yes, I'm amazed at how much better my jaw feels. I only felt like I needed one Motrin yesterday. I took it at night. No pain today. The dentist's receptionist called this morning and she said I can come in tomorrow. It feels so much better, I'd rather give it some time.

@keepmovin, You are so funny! Thank you for reading my thread. You cracked me up about the sequel. God, I hope not! I am going to be writing again for two hours a day. I'm working on a book about the people I met in show business. I was fortunate enough to with a lot of the old stars. It was so exciting. I used to write for a magazine called Dancer. I just loved it. The job offered a lot of freedom, creatively. It was very fulfilling.

I would love to knit you some stuff. It's my passion. I think the delicious meals really help with recovery, too. There's something about homemade food that is very nurturing. I will keep up on your thread. I hope you can kick that infection. You sound so positive, in spite of it.

As far as NYC, I performed with Tommy Tune in a benefit at the Beacon Theater. Most of the work I did was out of NY. We would rehearse there, and then play out of town. I only lived there for a year.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! so glad your dental pain is better. That's interesting about the warm salt water. I remember my grandmother would have us gargle with warm salt water if we had a sore throat. It is amazing how so many home remedies are better than what you can buy in the store.

Are you second from the left in this photo? The two on the left look so much alike they could be sisters. :)
Backstage with the girls. Wonderful memories!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm on the far left. The one you said looks like she could be my sister was a very good friend. We are still in touch.

I've used the salt water for sore throats, too. It's really fantastic. I've been rising my mouth with it after every meal. The improvement is excellent. I don't need to take a Motrin anymore.

It's funny, I think the nerves and the emotions are very connected. Now that I feel safe, my teeth seem to have relaxed. It's like I just couldn't handle the trauma and fear of replacing a newly cemented crown after just getting over the hip situation. It felt like too much violence on my body.

I did two hours of writing last night. I wrote the outline for my book. It felt very creative and energizing. I've been feeling kind of aimless lately. This gives me a goal and the power to achieve it.

On Valentine's Day I received the sweetest message from the associate choreographer from Jersey Boys. It was one of the nicest things I have ever read. I had thanked him for the audition and for all of his help and encouragement. He told me that he enjoys seeing the improvement I've made over the years with my audition material. (I practice my songs every day, and I think he can see the difference.) He told me that he wishes that we could have danced together when we were younger. He thinks that we would have been a smash. I felt the same way. I have such a connection with him, and it's easy for me to match his lines. Oh well...I am lucky to get to dance with him when he comes to town for auditions. It was a bright spot in my day...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! I so hear you about the worry regarding infection. I have had some overwhelmed moments as well from reading about that subject. I am already kind of a germaphobe and find that I am having a bit of a struggle not going overboard with cleaning and worrying about germs/infections, etc.
I keep tellling myself to be reasonably clean and mindful of things like cuts, etc, but not drown myself in hand sanitizer. :wink: I'm hoping that as time goes on I can relax about stuff like that.

I think the book sounds terrific. It sounds like you have worked with some truly fascinating people and have traveled to many interesting places. I'd love to read that book!
I had a friend who self published a book a couple of years ago. She somehow did it through Apple. I'm not sure how she ultimately felt about that experience. I was hoping she'd go through a venue where it would be available on Kindle, but she didn't like their terms. Luckily, I got to be a beta reader for her so I could enjoy her work.

Yay about the Pilates! Thank you so much for sharing about that. It's very helpful to read what you're doing and knowing about the timeline of your surgery/recovery. I know that my experience will be at different pace because you are very athletic and have the extensive dance background. It is heartening to know though that you are able to do Pilates and that it hasn't been painful for you. I look forward to getting back into it! :)

What a sweet message from the Jersey Boys asst. choreographer! It's lovely when we meet people with whom we 'click'. It's also great to get good feedback about your auditioning material. I hope you get to work with him in the future. :flwrysmile:
 
Squeeeee! Something fabulous came in the mail today!
They are gorgeous! So soft and warm.
The workmanship is just beautiful.
Thank you SO much, @Hip Hip Hooray!
I will treasure these always. :roseshwr:

**I am so bummed. I tried to post a picture of them, but no matter what I do to the pic, I keep getting a message that 'the image is too big for the server to upload'. I've posted pics from my device before so I don't know why it won't let me now. :sad:
They are beautiful though, Thank you!!
 
Oh yay! I'm so glad they arrived. Do they fit okay? I know they look really small, but they stretch like crazy. I'd love to see a photo if you can figure out how to get it to work. (I got that "too big" message for a while, too. When I tried uploading the photo again the next day, it worked.)

I have a friend who self published a book, too. It's wonderful. His company was a little shady. I think Amazon sounds good. I may be able to get an agent, and get with a reputable publishing company. That would be nice.

Thank you for the encouragement. His message made my day. He's so kind, and extremely talented. It gives me the inspiration to keep practicing and studying. They can see that from the other side of the table.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They fit perfectly and they are so nice and warm! They'll feel great this winter, especially while puttering around in my kitchen. I have a bay window and two other large windows in there and it gets cold. I'll be toasty AND stylish. :)
Yes, I will keep on trying with the photo. I've encountered similar glitches on other sites, so I'm hoping I can get it to post eventually.

I think your plan to perhaps go through Amazon is a good one and the agent is as well. My friend is a wonderful, creative lady, but she lacks patience. :) She wants things done yesterday. I know she was disappointed with the sales of her book, but the venue is very important. Her work was only available through Apple and if you didn't have an Apple device, well...you couldn't read it. That leaves out a lot of potential customers.
I'm excited for you that you're working on this project!

I'm sure it is evident that you are working hard on your craft. Entertainers make things look so easy. It makes folks in the audience think, "Why, I could do that!" Yeah....until you get up and try to sing...or dance...or act. It takes so much work and incredible discipline to make that magic happen! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom