Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! Yaay about getting back into tap dancing and that your legs weren't sore from the class. I'm sure it does feel great to be getting back into the things you have done and enjoyed prior to the hip problems.
I had to smile about the picture posting comment. Sometimes it is just about pushing buttons until you figure it out. :) Now, iPad stuff...I have no idea and it' amazing how every gadget is different.
I'm glad you got your sink installed and love it!

I'm glad to hear that you still ice and elevate. I do that myself and wondered if I was doing it to far out from my surgery. It feels so great, at the end of a long and busy day, to rest with my feet up and ice on my hips.
They aren't kidding with that mantra! :wink:

Enjoy your day, friend.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, the baking soda softens the skin. I use it once in a while. Sometimes I make a scrub by using sea salt granules, too.

Things are going well. I'm doing the basic PT exercises and my usual routine. My neighbor's tree fell into my backyard during the storm. Because of the drought, it had died. It just toppled from the roots. Yesterday I spent some time cleaning up the branches. It's going to take me a while. I have an electric saw that my ex gave me. It helps a lot. I'll do a little bit each day.

I talked with my dad last night. He keeps talking with people at the bridge club who have had their hips replaced. It's made him kind of a worrier. Many of them have had to have revisions. He told me last night, "Just don't do much of anything." I think he thinks that's the safest approach. It's cute. He said that he had dinner the other night with a 54 year of man who had his hip replaced, and he can't get out of the chair. His pelvis is slightly out of position. I'm fortunate that my pelvis is now perfectly aligned. I remember when it was out of kilter. Everything was off balance...
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Now that I'm icing and elevating again, I don't have any pain. I think it really helps with muscle soreness, too. I like the basic PT exercises that I learned in the hospital, too. When I do those, my legs and hips feel really good. Tonight I'll do some yoga.

I made a yellow cake from scratch with chocolate truffle frosting. The recipe is from a 1950's Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Very vintage. The frosting has chocolate chips, karo syrup, and whipped cream. You whip it all together after melting and chilling it. It gets light and fluffy. I gave some to my neighbor. She has a cake business out of her home. She was so appreciative. She's the one who did my watering for me after my hip surgery.

I got my taxes done yesterday. I will be getting $1,500. back...which was totally unexpected. He said it was because of my private health insurance. Yay! That will go into my emergency fund. My other dog needed to see the vet today, so I'm glad I've been living so frugally. She has some kind or recurring skin infection. He took a culture to see what he needs to prescribe. She keeps licking herself raw.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh my goodness about the tree. I'm glad it didn't do major damage. Good for you for taking it slowly in clearing it away. That can be heavy, hard work.
God love your dad. He obviously worries about you. How do you feel about the stories he tells you about revisions, etc? I ask because I have a friend who does the same thing. She often mentions 'horror stories' she's heard and cautions me about doing this and that. Not gonna lie, it irks me. I think she means well, but part of me just wants to say, "Please quit telling me these things. Allow me to enjoy my new, pain free hips and simply take things as they come."
I hear you about the basic PT exercises. I like the stretch and loosening up effect they have.
Oh my goodness, the cake sounds amazing and that frosting! I'll bet your neighbor was so appreciative. YUM!
Yaay about the refund. That's fantastic. Poor doggy though. I hope the Vet can get to the bottom of her problem. Along with big girl Gracie, we also had a Cairn Terrier. She developed a skin issue where she would lick herself raw. Luckily it turned out to be very manageable with simple meds. It's tough seeing our fur babies in discomfort. Those Vet bills can expensive, can't they. Frugal living definitely pays off when unexpected expenses pop up.

I hope your day is a good one. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you for your posts. They are so helpful to me. The tree isn't very big, fortunately. I didn't work on it today, because because both of my green waste bins are already full of branches. I'll get back to it tomorrow. I did some planting, which was exciting! I now have lovely pansies in my window boxes, and raspberries, blackberries, and rhubarb! Yum! We've had all kinds of rain this season. It's El Nino. The soil is so much better now. I've been mulching with straw, too. After several years of drought, I see a huge difference.

I'm glad your Cairn Terrior recovered. I hope Lana doesn't have to keep taking antibiotics. This is the third round. I might just try giving her garlic in the future. We think she's allergic to something in the compost pile, so I'm training her to stay away from it. She was so cute today. I explained to her that she couldn't go there anymore, and she sat halfway to the back of the property, and looked at me solemnly like, "Okay, Mama. I'm not going to go any further; I'll do what the doctor said." She's so sweet, and so conscientious! She acts very appreciative after I take her to the vet. She really seems to understand.

Sorry about your friend's comments. I can see why that annoys you. That sounds like what some people do to women who are pregnant. With my dad, it actually seems kind of cute to me. He's 85, and I can tell he is really trying to be helpful. He keeps asking me things like, "How do they cut the tendons, and saw the bone through that incision? I can't visualize it." He cracks me up. "Now what about that stem that's in your femur? You don't want to jar it loose..." "How do they get it to stay in the bone?" I don't know. His questions are legitimate. I never think about any of that stuff. I find it amusing. I understand what you're saying, though. I have a good relationship with him, and he doesn't get on my nerves. He's very sincere. Plus, he totally saved me from having to go to a rehab center after my surgery. It was such a relief. I know he means well. Also, it shows me that his cognitive abilities. are working.

I hope you are enjoying your soup. For dinner I made a tuna casserole and a salad from my lettuce patch. You are so right about being frugal. I'm really glad that I buy my groceries on sale and have that hefty emergency fund. My hobbies are pretty cheap, so that helps. Take care, friend! Thanks again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, man, pansies, raspberries, blueberries, and rhubarb. Some of my very favorite things! :)
Lana sounds like such a sweetie. They're just amazing, aren't they? Animals are earth bound angels in my opinion. I hope she gets some relief from her allergies, if that's what it turns out to be. No fun with the itchies.
Your dad is a wonderful soul. I love that he is 85 and still avidly wanting to learn everything he can about certain subjects. That's the way I want to be all my life. :)
Gosh, you mentioned the tuna casserole and it sounds so good. I'm the only one in my family who eats any kind of seafood, but I may just have to make a little one for myself.
Thank you for your posts. It is so interesting to read about your life as an entertainer and the people you've met and worked with. Your approach to life and health and healing is a wonderful thing! :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I was just thinking about you, because I made the cream of broccoli soup today. I had to pick up some cheddar cheese at Costco. I love soup! I found a couple more recipes that I want to make. Albondigas soup, which I enjoy when I go out for Mexican food, (but have never made,) and cream of potato and leek soup. Yum! They aren't the most healthy, but are very delicious. I hope you make a tuna casserole for yourself. I love having that, and it's so frugal! I buy the tuna when it's on sale for .70 a can.

Well, I really enjoyed gardening yesterday, but today my hip flexors were sore. I think the planting, raking, and digging caused it. I also rode the bike uphill a couple of times, standing up. Anyway, I am icing again. I went to the gym and took a jacuzzi and sauna. No workout. One thing I'm seeing is that it's hard for me to slow down and heal. I feel raring to go, but I still need to be patient with the soft tissue. Fortunately, I have my knitting, and am reading a great book. (Emotions and Your Health.) Also, I find if I read threads about people in a lot of pain, I seem to freak out and start getting sympathy pains. When I worry or fret, it goes right to my hips. I find the connection interesting. So, I am going to make a donation to Bonesmart today, and say prayers for the people who are having a hard time, instead of being overly empathetic. (I tend to absorb other people's feelings...)

I found a great animated video of the anterior technique on Dr. Matta's website. hipandpelvis.com (I think that's the name of the website.) It turned my stomach to watch that sort of thing pre op. Now I can do it. I told my dad about it; I think it will help him understand how they get in there. They use instruments to spread the tendons. It's a really clean, direct approach. I was very impressed. No wonder my hip flexors are so sensitive now. That's what takes the brunt of this surgery. It reminds me of dentistry. The old, diseased bone is like the cavity in a decayed tooth.

I hope you are doing well. I'm knitting you and Hipstergirl a little something...I'll send you both a pm.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I think it's wonderful that your dad cares so much and is taking such an interest and trying to understand the procedure and everything. He obviously cares about you very much. You are very blessed.

Oh my gosh, how adorable about Lana being so obedient and staying away from the compost pile even though she clearly wants to go in there. She sounds like such a sweetie! How did you train her to listen to you so well like that? I hope she is feeling better.

Great news on your tax refund and replenishing your emergency fund. I finally got the last of my forms needed to file my taxes this week so I'm going to have to do that soon myself - ugh - one of my least favorite things to do. I don't know why, mine aren't complicated, and I have been using Turbo Tax or similar the past few years, but I still dislike doing my taxes and have to force myself.

Your cake from the 1950 cookbook sounds delicious! And the tuna casserole and broccoli and potato soups, yum! All of those are such yummy comfort foods and not very expensive to make. The casserole is great for freezing and reheating I bet. I have not been eating well this week and I can tell a difference. There's been a lot of unhealthy snacks at the office that people have brought in. I will get back on track this weekend. I can definitely feel an energy slump when I am not eating healthy. Lots of people have been getting sick and eating right helps to fend that sickness off so I don't catch it.

Your posts are inspiring me to get back on track with the basic PT exercises with how you say they are helping you and having a stretching and loosening effect. I have to admit I haven't been doing those basic exercises for a few weeks now because of being so busy but realistically there is no reason I can't do a little here and there throughout the day, even do the standing ones at work, so I will start trying to squeeze that in. My hips are still very tight and I need to loosen them up.

I am super excited that you are knitting @DeepBreath and I something - that is incredibly sweet of you, thank you! I will check my pm's. Off to work now but at least it's Friday, whew~ Have a great day today!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh my gosh, you have my mouth watering over the soups you are making! I love Albondigas! It is SO fabulous, as is potato leek soup. Yum. That's what I love about winter time. I am so inspired to cook soups and stews, which I just love.

I hear you about the rating to go thing. The hips feel so much better, you're eating so great, and are excercising, so of course you feel like you want to go, go, go. But then comes that 'gotta find a balance' thing again. Grrrr...
Yard and garden work takes a lot of streching and bending which is definitely something we hippies feel.
It's good that you have your knitting and reading to give you some good
I am so excited to know what you are knitting for @Hipster Girl and me! (Gosh, that sounds opportunistic of me). Thank you so very much for thinking of us. Something that is handmade that has had care and skill put into it is the most precious thing there is. It will be treasured, I can assure you. :)

Awesome about the video on Dr. Matta's website. I'll bet your dad will be fascinated by that. You're a stronger woman than I am. I *might* be able to handle an animated video of a THR, but even then I'm not sure.
I'll bet it is incredible though to see what all goes into the surgery. The fact that most people can be up and moving the day of or day after, plus improve so greatly in a few weeks/months time is simply amazing to me.

Enjoy your day, friend. I hope your weather is lovely.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, those basic PT exercises from the hospital are hidden gems. I think I will continue them for the rest of my life. They aren't difficult, but they really seem to be good for maintenance. I took it easy and iced yesterday, and my hips feel much better today. I did some yoga last night, and was blown away at the improvement in my ROM. I didn't expect it. It was such a great feeling...I was elated. As a child my hips were always tight. I couldn't do certain things in gymnastics. I can see that Dr. Matta has corrected whatever was wrong. It's going to take time, though. My body really likes the yoga. I'm still waiting on the Pilates.

So glad you and @DeepBreath are enthusiastic about the knitting. Sorry I haven't sent the pm's yet. I went to the dentist and got me permanent crown. Such a relief to have that done. I will get to it. I hope things are okay for you at work. Take care, friend...
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I love those soups, too. I've got a loaf of sourdough bread cooling right now. Something about homemade bread with soup is the ultimate for me! I have to wait another 20 mins. before I'm allowed to eat. I just got back from the dentist. I'm all done for six months. Phew!

I couldn't watch the animated video until now. My dad's questions made me curious. How do they get in there to drill in the femur? The instruments are interesting. I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch the human video. The thought of it still makes me feel sick.

I better get back to my knitting. I'm been a slow poke lately. I'll send you a pm. Take care, friend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. @Hipster Girl, Lana is super conscientious. She was horribly abused by gangs, and is extremely grateful to have a mom and a safe home. She really wants to please. I think she's just highly talented. People ask me how I trained her to play frisbee like a pro. I didn't do anything, she was just a natural. She could have been a show dog...she's such a performer. My mom taught me that we are always training our dogs, just by being with them. Her dogs were perfectly behaved. She just expected it. She also taught me to praise them whenever they do something that you want. "Tell her she's a good girl," she used to say. It really helps to reinforce their positive habits. They like routine and consistency, too. I also walk them every day. They're pretty easy to please...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! do you ever do bread bowls to go with your soup? Now I really am drooling thinking of sour dough. :)

Yaay about being all done with the dentist for 6 months! That's always a good feeling.

When I watch any hip replacement PT thing on YouTube there is inevitably a thumbnail of a surgery in the list of videos recommended for viewing. I can't even look at those without feeling blech.

I hope you enjoy your bread and soup! :)
 
Hello @Hip Hip Hooray! Catching up on your thread, you thread relaxes me so. You have such a nice way of life and it is inspiring! I hear you about the somedays feeling great and somedays feeling sore or tension in the hip flexors. I tend to do my work with my strength coming form my legs, core and hips so it's constantly an exercise in compromise. I am working full time, but that means full time for me. haha There is no way, even before my hip issues, that I could see 7-8 clients in a day. Nobody can keep up that pace for long. I did it for a while in the beginning and then I saw the light.. work for myself and pace myself. So, I already had the training for this part of my journey.

I actually watched the videos about anterior THR before my surgery, I think I had to stop it a couple times and take deep breaths, but I needed to know and understand what muscles and tendons and most importantly in my option, the fascia goes through. Pretty amazing, huh?

Doing the PT exercises are my go to routine. I hope to never forget and continue certain ones, along with my back and neck exercise for life.

Oh! How I wish I could eat like you! Can I come stay with you for a month? You would be my health retreat, lol like Pritikins.. :heehee: Seriously, you could make some income with that.. and now could charge even more because of your gorgeous pedestal sink!! It sound so incredible and I loved your story on the find.

So much to comment on but will try to keep it short. You are in a good place.. congrats on your journey!!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I think it's great that you were able to watch the video on Dr. Matta's website. I am intrigued to know exactly how the operation is performed but I know I don't have the stomach to sit through it, animated or not, I just have a weak stomach for that kind of thing so I block it from my mind, ha :) I am glad your dad will be able to watch it and I bet it will answer a lot of his questions.

Glad to hear you got your permanent crown taken care of. Did you have to take antibiotics when you went to get your crown?

Lana sounds like such a sweetie! It makes me sad to hear she had been abused by gangs....poor baby, I can't even imagine. :sad: No wonder she is so obedient - she has found a warm, loving home where she feels safe and cared for, so she wants to please. It makes my heart smile to know you two found each other.

Your post about doing your taxes inspired me and I got mine knocked out yesterday. First time ever I have done them this early and I hadn't even planned on it; it just kind of happened. I am getting some money back but much less than last year. I am going to put my refund into my emergency fund too. It will be good to have a little extra cash once I'm out of work.

I will be going to the gym in a bit, then try to get some cleaning done so I can relax later and watch the Super Bowl. I'm not a fan of either team but I do like Peyton Manning.:)
 
@DeepBreath, I haven't made bread bowls. I've had them with French Onion soup at a restaurant. One time I hollowed out a home grown Cinderella pumpkin and served soup in it. Same idea. It was really pretty.

I like the animated video on Dr. Matta's site. For some reason it doesn't sicken me to watch it. I think part of that was my terror before surgery. That has transformed into relief. I didn't like looking at my xray for the first several months, either. My perspective is shifting.
 
@CricketHip, I like your idea about the retreat. Sure, you can come stay with me. The only problem is, my cottage is tiny. (567 square feet.) I used to stay at a yoga retreat in the Berkshires. I tried to maintain that lifestyle when I returned home. (daily yoga, walks, and meditation.) It makes such a difference. I also worked in Europe for three years. I loved the food, the culture, and their way of life. It taught me not to rush around all of the time. I learned so much from the Europeans.

I'll work on learning how to post photos. I'm still pretty excited that I was able to download and upload an avatar.
 
@Hipster Girl, My dentist had me take antibiotics before the appt. with the cleaning and temporary crown. He said that I didn't need to take them when I went back for the permanent crown. I feel fine, and my teeth feel excellent. He prescribed enough antibiotics for four visits, in case I need to go back for more work. I actually was kind of paranoid, because there were a few kids in the room where he works, playing with the sink. I kept thinking, "I don't want their germs in there." The dentist told me that they do everything "together as a family." It made me uncomfortable. I like things really sterile, since this surgery.

Congratulations on doing your taxes! That's great. I love the feeling of getting those things done. It's nice to be rebuilding the emergency fund, too. I'm looking forward to receiving me check for the surgery fee from Blue Shield. I love receiving checks that have a comma in them!

Yes, Lana is a sweetie. I just went to give her her medicine. She crawled on to her stomach and hid her head under the bed. She is so comical. It's like she thought I couldn't see her. She makes me chuckle.
 
Right now I've got some henna on my hair, touching up the roots. It's a good time to do some knitting. I think I'll stop by the knitting shop this afternoon and see who is in the group. Sometimes I really enjoy it, and other times I clash with a couple of the women. If that happens, I'll just go to the gym. I'd like to do a few of the machines and to take a jucuzzi and sauna, anyway.

Yesterday I cut up more of that tree. I do a portion each day. I took the dogs to the track and let them run off leash. I ran into a friend there and mentioned how happy I was with how I'm walking. "It's better," she said. It kind of annoyed me. I'm not sure if my gait isn't as smooth as it feels, or if she's just hypercritical. I am astonished and thrilled with it. It's so easy to walk now. I just can't put a price on that. I watch how animals heal, and how natural they are when they start running again. That's I feel, like my body is just reverting back to what it could do before the arthritis. It's a very gradual change. I've laid off of the weights, and I no longer have any burning or pain in my hip flexors. The yoga I'm doing seems to have the most healing results.

Thanks for the posts. It's time to get back to my knitting. I need to do some cleaning today, too. Oh, I talked with my dad, and now he is up to doing 25 push ups a day! I asked him how he did it. He told me that now that he can do more, he goes faster...that it's just technique, like anything. I'm amazed that he can do that at 85 years old. He said that sometimes he feels lethargic, and just wants to sit in his chair. It only takes him five mins. to go up and down the stairs ten times, so he does it. He is so disciplined.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom