Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hello Hip Hip. :) I am so pleased to read up on your thread and see that you have your insurance issues settled. I sure hope the reimbursement check shows up asap!
Your audition stories are always so interesting, loved the "passive aggressive" comment from the younger girl. Hhhmmm, someday soon, she will realize just how narrow that view is/was.
Speaking of soon, I just have such a strong feeling that really soon you are going to hear back from one of your auditions .. sure hope my feeling is accurate!

I am going to be 4 months post op on Monday.. 4 months! Hard to believe. I am working a bit with some gentle stretching, followed by some balancing exercises. I always feel great afterwards.
Have you had any significant rainfall? I meant to pay attention to that but forgot over the holidays.
 
Okay, I'm sort of chuckling over those of you in your early 50's who are going through perimenopause - I went through the real thing at age 47!! I really laugh, though, when medical folks ask me if there's any possibility that I'm pregnant!!!! Yeah, right...

I'm so glad to hear that you're taking it more slowly with your dancing and I, too, feel badly for the ballerina who can't stop dancing. Sort of luckily, I also have a balance disorder, so I've not been a dancer in quite a while. With theater, I'm almost deaf, so singing isn't really an option. I've found that working backstage with the wigs is my real talent (I was a licensed hairdresser many years ago), and it's wonderful to be doing hair, again. I think it's great that you can cross your legs, again (I can't yet), and it gives me hope that I'll be able to do that, once more. I'm also thrilled that you can be a mentor to those local folks who will be having hip surgery. Life and growing older take us in so many different directions, and it's nice when someone in that stage can roll with the changes! Blessings to you!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! The black dress, stockings, and heels sounds like what I would wear also. I couldn't agree more on dressing to show respect. I always think it's better to be overdressed than dressed too casually. Thanks, @Hipster Girl. I feel the same way. I remember on my first National Tour, the older cast members always dressed up for travel days. They were from a generation that dressed up to go to the airport. I really liked that. America has changed so much that way...

I don't think I've heard that song "And the Angels Sing" but it sounds like it was a hit with the directors. I take that as a very encouraging sign if they were snapping their fingers & swaying to the music. Sounds like the perfect choice for an old-fashioned show. I'm impressed that you always know the right songs to sing. That in itself takes a special talent. Thank you. I have a book full of music for all of my auditions. My coach taught a workshop, and she told us what we need to have ready. I got a lot of work with this song when I was in my 20's and 30's, so I still pull it out for period shows. Especially tap shows. It worked for this season.

Yay on getting the billing lady to process the paperwork for your refund! It will be good to finally get that resolved. Every now and then, there is one in billing who "gets it". The rest of the time it is like :headbang: Oh, it's such a relief! The lady at Dr. Matta's office said to allow three weeks for them to process the paperwork. She was excellent. I'm just happy to be insured again. That made me very nervous, not having insurance, and not getting anywhere with the people on the phone...

Off to work now. Just wanted to pop in here real quick and see how everyone is doing. Have a great day! :)
Thanks for stoppy by, @Hipster Girl. I really appreciate your posts. I will be over on your thread soon. While I was out of town, I read your message about the work situation on my new mini ipad. I hope things are improving.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yaay about the insurance and also about the audition!
I had to shake my head at the other woman's comment about you auditioning. My goodness, life doesn't just stop when we get past 30 or so (thank goodness!) and like you said, there are great roles for women our age.
It sounds like you looked absolutely lovely. I totally agree that putting in the effort to look sharp pays great dividends.
Enjoy your busy week! Sending out good thoughts for sun and fun filled days. :)
Hi @DeepBreath. I get a lot of that. I got it when I was in my thirties, too. It's funny, when I was younger, it didn't happen. But, once we all started aging, I heard constant comments about how I look from other women. When you perform, your product is you. So, I do spend a lot of time on hair, make up, exercise, yoga, and a good diet. In this business, you have to look your best. That way, whether I get hired or not, at least I feel like I gave it 100%. Men are so visual. Most of the people auditioning me are men.

The weather was great for my trip. I just got back from five days in the Bay Area, visiting my dad and brothers. Hope all's well with you.
 
Hello Hip Hip. :) I am so pleased to read up on your thread and see that you have your insurance issues settled. I sure hope the reimbursement check shows up asap!
Your audition stories are always so interesting, loved the "passive aggressive" comment from the younger girl. Hhhmmm, someday soon, she will realize just how narrow that view is/was. Yeah, she seemed talented, but insecure. One of the shows they are doing is Hello Dolly. I worked with Carol Channing at MGM, and would love to do that role. Also, they are doing Cabaret, which is older dancers. This woman didn't dance. I think that was her motive. Another one of the shows is a tap show. After saying the comment about my age she told me that I could find her on Facebook. Too funny. I won't be doing that. She expected that I would. That's another generational thing. Oh well. I'm learning...
Speaking of soon, I just have such a strong feeling that really soon you are going to hear back from one of your auditions .. sure hope my feeling is accurate! Oh, I hope so, too! Thank you for saying that. I have a few more auditions this month. I just go. It's good practice. It keeps me motivated.

I am going to be 4 months post op on Monday.. 4 months! Hard to believe. I am working a bit with some gentle stretching, followed by some balancing exercises. I always feel great afterwards.
Have you had any significant rainfall? I meant to pay attention to that but forgot over the holidays.
Oh my God...we've had tons of rain! It's been fantastic. You should see the photographs of the Sierras. We had so much at once that my living room had a small flood. The carpet is okay now. I mulched the entire front yard, driveway, and porch with straw. It acts like a sponge, and that way the water can't get into the cottage. Congrats on hitting the four month mark! I think at four months is when I really started to feel my best. I hope you're doing well. The stretches sound good.
 
Okay, I'm sort of chuckling over those of you in your early 50's who are going through perimenopause - I went through the real thing at age 47!! I really laugh, though, when medical folks ask me if there's any possibility that I'm pregnant!!!! Yeah, right...

I'm so glad to hear that you're taking it more slowly with your dancing and I, too, feel badly for the ballerina who can't stop dancing. Sort of luckily, I also have a balance disorder, so I've not been a dancer in quite a while. With theater, I'm almost deaf, so singing isn't really an option. I've found that working backstage with the wigs is my real talent (I was a licensed hairdresser many years ago), and it's wonderful to be doing hair, again. That's great, @HipSurprise. The hair dept. is so important. It really makes or breaks you. I have such respect for talented hairdressers. I think it's great that you can cross your legs, again (I can't yet), and it gives me hope that I'll be able to do that, once more. Yes, it's really easy. I asked my surgeon first, and he answered, "You can cross your legs." It's been years since I've been able to do that. It's the little things... I'm also thrilled that you can be a mentor to those local folks who will be having hip surgery. Life and growing older take us in so many different directions, and it's nice when someone in that stage can roll with the changes! Blessings to you! I know. I never expected any of this. It's really helped me with my fear of doctors. I used to be such a wreck over anything medical. Now I have more trust and faith. I really respect the people who work in medicine. They do such great things.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I have always respected women in show business who work so hard to keep their careers going, as I can only imagine how challenging it is. I won't go on a tirade about our sexist, patriarchal society, but it does irk me. I get it, it's a visual medium, but there is so much more to life than being a juicy 25 year old. Not to be ageist, but I really think people become more interesting when they get to 40 and beyond. Their faces and bodies tell the stories as much as their words. I wish more people respected that fact.
How lovely that you spent the week in the Bay Area! I'll bet it was gorgeous.
I hope your upcoming week is a great one and that there is no more flooding in your cottage.
We actually got snow here yesterday! It was just for a few hours, but it was so lovely to sit and watch.
Sending good thoughts, friend. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I know what you mean. One thing I'm noticing is that they are starting to write more shows for women over 40. There's a new one headed to Broadway that has a group of dancers who are over 60! I think things might change, over time. There are many people who feel like you do.

Yesterday I went and auditioned for a theater that is doing Peter Pan later this year. I almost didn't go, because I thought it might be a waste of time. I didn't think I was the right type. There is one part for a woman in her 30's or 40's, who is a soprano. Mrs. Darling. I put on my black dress and heels and went, anyway. I had to wait until 4:00 to be seen. It was worth it, though. I ran into the choreographer in the hallway. We chatted for a while during lunch. He's such a nice guy. Extremely talented. I sang my legit song, and it went really well. The producer seemed surprised and said, "Very good!" He even put down his ipad in the middle of the song. (I'd heard that he wasn't looking at the actors.) I liked him. I saw another woman from behind the table when I was in the bathroom and she said, "You were great!" She seemed very kind. I like that company. The choreoographer double checked my height and told me, "I know all about your dancing." (We danced for Juliet Prowse together years ago.) He asked me how I would feel about flying. I told him that I loved it. I flew at MGM and it was really fun. It wouldn't hurt my hips, either. All in all, a wonderful audition. It feels good to aim at a target.

My hips were a little sore after the road trip and audition, but nothing major. I'm glad that I can get back into my yoga and gym routine. I went to the gym once while I was in the Bay Are and used the machines. My father lives in a beautiful neighborhood, and I enjoyed walking the dogs there. The gardens are exquisite.

I've got to make an appt. for another audition on Sat. This time it's for Gypsy. I've always loved the number "Gotta Get a Gimmick," and now I'm the right age!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! It sounds like your audition went great! :) The mention of flying made me smile. How fun!

I would love to see more plays, movies, television shows, etc that feature middle aged women and beyond. We are an interesting lot!

Juliet Prowse...what a fabulous dancer she was. She is an entertainer who left life's stage much too soon.
Oh my goodness, Gypsy!! I love that show. Winging positive vibes your way. :)
I can only imagine how gorgeous it is in the Bay Area. I have never visited there, but really hope to one day.
Good for you for getting back in to the gym and yoga routine. It's so important, isn't it?
I am learning that a careful balance of not overdoing it, but doing enough is absolutely necessary. Figuring out what that balance is can be a bit challenging. :wink:
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! your audition sounds like it went very well! That is so exciting too that the choreographer knew you & that you had danced together...small world, isn't it? The flying thing, I am fascinated by that, what is that exactly? Is that like on strings or whatever that hold you up and it looks like you are flying? :scaredycat:

I am happy to hear that more shows are being written for older dancers although I am sure you don't look anywhere near your age. It's sad that we live in such a youth obsessed society where there is little appreciation for older women. I would so love to see that change as older women have so much to offer.

I bet it was wonderful to visit with your dad and brothers. I'm sure they were so happy to see you. I have never been to the Bay Area but it does sound lovely.

Glad your hips are feeling a bit better today and that your cottage has dried out some. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I know what you mean about that balance. Yesterday was very productive. I went to the dentist, paid my property taxes, deposited the check from Blue Shield, worked out at the gym, filled the gas tank, and paid all of my bills on line. The dentist looked in my mouth and said, "Wow! The work has really held up well." I could tell he was surprised and pleased. I just have one tiny cavity and some decay inside an older crown. I've been using Dr. Ellie's preventive system for the last ten years, so I'm really pleased. I used to have terrible teeth. I go back tomorrow for a deep cleaning, and will have the crown replaced. I have to take antibiotics one hour before the surgery. My surgeon wants me to do that for two years. I know this website has articles that say you don't need to, but I will do it anyway. I almost never take them.

I am so relieved that I don't need any major work. I used to lie awake worrying about my teeth, just like I did with my hips. It's amazing how similar teeth and bones are. The one thing I've learned from this surgery is not to procrastinate when I need to see a doctor or dentist.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! your audition sounds like it went very well! That is so exciting too that the choreographer knew you & that you had danced together...small world, isn't it? The flying thing, I am fascinated by that, what is that exactly? Is that like on strings or whatever that hold you up and it looks like you are flying? :scaredycat:They put you in a harness. It's a lot of fun. There is a tape of Cathy Rigby on Youtube in one of the companies of Peter Pan. She did all kinds of gymnastics in the air. I was so impressed with her voice and her acting!

I am happy to hear that more shows are being written for older dancers although I am sure you don't look anywhere near your age. It's sad that we live in such a youth obsessed society where there is little appreciation for older women. I would so love to see that change as older women have so much to offer. I think many women feel like you do. Menopause the Musical has an open ended run in Las Vegas. As long as people keep buying tickets, I'm sure the demand will create more jobs for us.

I bet it was wonderful to visit with your dad and brothers. I'm sure they were so happy to see you. I have never been to the Bay Area but it does sound lovely. It was beautiful. We drove across the Golden Gate bridge and went to pick up my dad's cousin. She's 85. I hadn't seen her since I was a child. She's such a nice lady.

Glad your hips are feeling a bit better today and that your cottage has dried out some. :)
Thanks. The fans did the trick with the carpet. My left side of my bum is sore today from using the butt blaster at the gym yesterday. I added weights, and that was a mistake. I only did a half set, but I still feel some aggravation today. I rolled around on the foam roller, and that helped to massage it. I will go back to using no weight on that machine. I seem to do best with my easy yoga at home before bedtime.

I hope things are improving for you at work. Take care, Everyone!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Wow, you had a busy day yesterday! Hooray about the great dentist visit! I'll be sending good vibes for you tomorrow for the cleaning and crown replacement.
You are so right about not waiting on doctor or dentist stuff. I was very bummed when my OS told me he wanted me to wait 3 months after my last THR to go to the dentist so things can 'settle down'. I build up tartar very quickly and generally require 3 visits per year for cleanings. This wait will put me at 6 months between visits. I am being super diligent in my flossing, brushing, and rinsing.
I hear you about the antibiotics. I have no problem taking them for two years...heck, I'd be okay with taking them for life if it helped prevent any infection issues!

Good luck tomorrow and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day today. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath! I went to the dentist this morning and got everything done. Phew! The novocaine really hurt this time. It was kind of a shock. I usually can breathe through it. Oh well. Once I was numb, it was much better. He did the cleaning, filling and crown all together, so that I only have to take the antibiotics once. He's really nice that way. He said that I won't need to take them when I go back for the permanent crown in two weeks.

Whole chickens were on sale for .79 a lb. today, so I stopped at the store on the way home and picked up two. I heated up some barley and sauteed vegetables for lunch. Had some fresh avocado, too. I've been making a concerted effort to include more plant estrogen in my diet. I really feel a difference. It takes more time, but it's worth it.

My dentist asked me what I'm doing for work now. I told him about my auditions for singing and acting. He said, "You look better than the young girls." That made me feel good. He thinks I have good genes, but I told him it's work and discipline. I really think you can do a lot with your daily habits. I performed for many years with Tommy Tune and Juliet Prowse as a dancer. Both of them ate very well and practiced yoga every day. They were also very conscious about the company they kept. They both looked so young. They were in such great shape! Tommy is still performing. I remember noticing that at intermission he ate a plate of broccoli and brown rice. I was very impressed.

Tomorrow is my audition for Gypsy. I'm excited. It's one of my favorite shows. Time to go practice. I hope you are dong well. I think your teeth will be fine after six months. I know you usually get extra cleanings, but it sounds like you are very diligent with your habits.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! sending good vibes your way today for your Gypsy audition. I know you will do great! Let us know how it goes. We are cheering you on!

That is so cool about the harness. I am going to search for that Cathy Rigby video. I bet that would be such a wonderful feeling of freedom. It sounds like such a blast! Have you done the flying before?

I so agree about the healthy eating habits and that is very impressive that Tommy Tune would eat broccoli and brown rice during intermission when most people would probably grab a candy bar or bag of chips. Eating properly is soooo important to how we feel day to day, the aging process, preventing sickness, and so much more. It takes a concerted effort but is so worth it. I'm really inspired by how well you try to eat. I could take a lesson from you. I have to force myself to eat veggies but I'm doing better than I used to. It takes thought and effort though.

You are so right about not procrastinating on going to the doctor or dentist and it's great you are getting your dental work done. I'm supposed to do the antibiotics too but my surgeon says for life - I wish it was only two years like yours. My OS may just be overly cautious. I don't really understand the necessity for it but I'm no doctor so I don't really know. I've heard both sides and not sure which is right.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! it is so true that 'we are what we eat'. Making good choices nutrition wise is vital.
I'm glad the dental work went well. Sometimes those novocaine shots can really surprise you, especially if they're in the roof of the mouth. No fun!
I am SO excited for you about the Gypsy audition! I won't tell you to 'break' anything, just go knock 'em dead! :)
 
Hi @HipsterGirl, I enjoyed the flying a lot when I was young. I did it at MGM Reno in Hello Hollywood, Hello! I also flew at MGM Las Vegas in EFX. My only fear now would be for safety. l worry about the stagehands getting distracted. With technology, I've seen a lot of accidents in shows. Usually, everything is okay. But, if someone misses a cue, it can be dangerous. I was fine, but had some friends get badly hurt. (not flying, but with other oversights.) It is a cool effect, though.

I've been making an effort to eat really well, and I feel like it's helping. I think people look and feel more attractive when they have a good diet. Tonight I made cauliflower with cheese sauce. I reheated some mashed potatoes. Had some more sliced avocado with homemade salad dressing. I hope you are doing well.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Thanks for the encouragement. The audition rocked! I had so much fun. The pianist and I had a wonderful connection. He was a really sweet man. It's funny, they treat me like I'm famous. (I think it's because I was fortunate enough to work with a lot of the old stars.) I was also hired by some top directors. The older I get, the luckier I feel! Anyway, I really had fun, and they were beaming at the end. I don't have housing, which may nix me. Oh well. It was great practice. Also, most of the other women were younger. The strippers are supposed to be 40-60. It's just funnier that way. So, this time my age was perfect!

Just took a bath. Now I need to do my yoga. It's been a long day. I'll catch up with your thread tomorrow a.m. I hope all is well with you.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! so glad the audition went great! I find myself so fascinated by your line of work as it's so far removed from what I do. I have never known an entertainer before so it is so neat to get the inside track so to speak. I can't even imagine how cool it was for you to work with some of those in the industry who are true legends. :yes:

The flying sounds utterly fascinating. I can see how it could be a little unnerving from the safety aspect but oh such a blast!

I bought some kale & spinach mix at Costco that I tried to make salads from but it was just awful so I am now throwing some of it in the blender with fruit, yogurt, and chia seeds to make some healthful smoothies and I am getting the nutrients but can't even taste the kale. It's a good way to add some extra nutritional punch to my diet.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Your smoothies sound great, and very nutritious! I haven't been making salads as often in this weather. I do make cooked vegetables each day. Whatever works, huh?

I enjoy show business. There is a lot of rejection, but I've learned to just perform at the audition, and to let go of the outcome. So much of it is timing. Yesterday I spent a lot of time in my vehicle. It's almost a three our drive each way. I brought my German shepherd with me. She loves to ride in the car. She's great company. The coast is just gorgeous...

My tooth is still aching from the dental work. Oh well. At least it is no longer throbbing. The novocaine shot was really traumatizing. He thinks I'm hypersensitive, but the pain is real. Maybe laughing gas would have been a better choice. I'm glad it's over.

I did yoga last night before bed. My hips respond best to that. This morning I'm going to run the dogs along the bike. I need to do some housework today, too. I've got another audition on Wednesday. More preparation to do!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom