TKR Arthroscopic Surgery after TKR to Release Popliteus.

@Ghostpipe Sorry to hear about that horrible experience with NSAIDs. Glad you are okay. I wish that I could take them longer. My knee is not happy without the Advil.
 
Wow what a miraculous recover. Trying not to feel jealous, am glad things going well for you
Thanks @Moone. My recovery doesn't feel so miraculous since I got off of Advil! And my flexion is stuck. I could throttle the PA who said that I would need an MUA if my numbers didn't improve in 2 weeks. I will not allow an MUA, but it still put that worm in my head. The long recovery gives me too much time to dwell on flexion. I have bookmarked the posts that mention others' successful outcomes after a slow start with flexion. I am hoping that PT on Wednesday will involve techniques to reduce swelling on the inside. (I have very little swelling on the outside.)
 
And you are not even a month into this year long or more recovery, so don’t push it or let PT work you too hard. Time is what you need, and that can’t be rushed. Hang in there.
 
Totally agree early years, understand how things get in your head but you're really doing awesome. Give it time and keep plugging away I am sure you will get there!
 
Day 21–Big day! I changed the cat litter and sanitized everything and then took my first shower. I had no issues with either activity and feel very accomplished. :) The “firsts” are always important as we recover. I had a pretty good day pain wise because I did not attempt any bending stretches. I did plenty of walking around the house for exercise. I am a little nervous about driving myself to PT tomorrow—I hope that my car will start and that I can find a parking space. There is on-street parking only. Another “first” in my recovery! I also entertained myself by looking at my hospital bill for same day surgery. Yikes! Thank goodness for health insurance.
 
Three Week Anniversary! Great day so far. Was able to drive to my first outpatient PT without any trouble. Love my PT, who definitely believes that less is more. In a few minutes, my flexion went from 67 to 75, with no pushing or straps. He said that swelling is the issue, and he saw no sign of adhesions. We did one type of flexion exercise and a combined quad squeeze/extension exercise with deep breathing. Aside from some minor strength testing of feet and numbness testing, we didn’t do anything else. For homework, I am to do flexion stretching for 2-3 minutes 5 times a day and extension/quads for 5-10 minutes 5 times a day. That’s it other than ADL spread throughout the day.

For flexion, I sit in a lower chair, bring my heel in until I feel discomfort, and then ease in and out of the stretch by shifting my hip. It is amazing how well that simple exercise works. So, I can now say goodbye to flexion anxiety and get on with living! My next PT appointment is Monday.
 
Day 23--Rough night. I discovered that Tylenol also was killing my digestive track so I stopped it completely. I don't think it was helping anyways. I had trouble sleeping because of abdominal discomfort that radiated to my back. I am much better today. I am left with icing and elevation as my primary means to control pain and they are working so far. I do not have any additional pain or swelling from PT yesterday and am able to do the exercises today without issues.
 
Day 24–Still trucking along, even though I feel as if I am serving a prison sentence in my own home! The flexion exercise that I described above is miraculous in loosening up the knee, so that is a plus. My PT essentially told me to chill out to keep the internal swelling down. Do ADL in small doses. Small walks every hour or so. Forget the fact that the weeds are growing an inch an hour in my garden beds. I am not enjoying the restriction. So, I am immersed in Netflix and have just started Bridgerton. I have the attention span of a gnat right now, so we will see how long it takes to watch an episode. The settings and costumes are amazing.
 
Last edited:
My PT essentially told me to chill out to keep the internal swelling down. Do ADL in small doses. Small walks every hour or so. Forget the fact that the weeds are growing an inch an hour in my garden beds. I am not enjoying the restriction.
None of us enjoy the restriction but you are blessed to have a PT with such sound advice. Anything that aggravates a new knee and causes more swelling isn't helping, whether it's aggressive PT or us doing too much and causing the same result.
 
Had my second outpatient PT session today, and it went well. Flexion improved from 75 to 80. Therapist told me that small, steady increases are better for me. We also worked on gait. He wants me to take much shorter steps to really focus on bending and not circling my foot to the side. Still icing and elevating constantly. I now can tolerate placing a towel under my knee while stretched out in bed. It gives me a break from constantly elevating. I am going to be a wild woman today and do a load of laundry! I can barely contain my excitement. :wowspring:
 
Week 4 Update. Crazy day as we experienced the remnants of Fred. My neighborhood was under a flash flood warning and tornado watch. After getting 3 inches of rain in two hours, I thought that we were doomed. I could hear the water rushing through the overflow channel at the end of my street. We lucked out and the afternoon rains were gentle and short-lived. I did not want to experience flooding after a TKR! Because my house is on a slight elevation, I have only ever had my crawlspace flood. And there is nothing important in the crawlspace. But the floodwaters leave behind a lot of mud that has to be power washed from my driveway and sidewalk.

Hard to believe that I am only at the 4 week mark. This journey seems longer than 4 weeks. I spend my days icing and elevating to keep the inflammation in check. My extension is 0 and my flexion is slowly increasing, with the bare minimum of stretching. I am grateful that I have had quad strength since day one and am able to take care of myself and my cat. I desperately wish that I could take anything for even minimal pain relief, but my body doesn't like meds. I have tried magnesium gel, which didn't help, and tomorrow I am going to try arnica gel. The pain is manageable, but is pretty constant. The good news is that it isn't that deep throbbing or achiness that some people have, and I can sleep through it.

I have chronic inflammation from Lyme disease and an autoimmune disorder. I was wondering how it would affect my recovery and now I know--my knee needs to be treated very gently or I quickly backslide. I am not a patient person, so it is tough to rest as much as possible. I know that I am not alone in this regard. Monday's fairly gentle PT session was too much, so I cancelled tomorrow's session. I will do no more than one PT session a week and may cancel even those.

Despite all of this, I remain optimistic that I will have a good outcome, and am still certain that I needed this surgery. I couldn't walk without pain and could only stand for a few minutes without pain. I went overnight from walking 2-3 miles and gardening to not being able to do anything. I am very fortunate to be retired and have the time to recover.
 
That is a great update, and a good example of listening to your body and doing what is right for you!

I’m glad things did not get bad for you in regards to Fred. We didn’t get anything here in Delaware.
 
You will return to activity--though I know it feels like a long time away. :console2:
 
Claire56 good luck with surgery tomorrow. Keep us posted on your recovery. U will do great!!!
 
@Jellyfingers Sorry to hear about your ROM. It is frustrating, isn’t it? Despite knowing that it will come, I want to know the exact date of its arrival! :) Have you tried not exercising as much, which is the Bone Smart recommendation? Good luck!
 
Had a great PT session today—flexion is up another 5 degrees to 85! Slow and steady progress. PT says that the first 3 months are the worst, which helped to calibrate my expectation. I tried wearing leggings today—the first time I have worn something tight against my sensitive incision. I had no issue. My PT told me today that it is important that I continue to wear things that touch the knee. Otherwise, it could become permanently sensitized. Yikes! Otherwise, just staying inside to avoid the heat and humidity. Hope all of our Long Island, New England and Tennessee folks are safe from flooding.
 
Great news @Rain Dancer. You give me hope! Have a physio session this morning and tomorrow evening, which gives structure to my recovery which I need :) but will try not to overdo it. Might try getting out of shorts this weekend, good tip re sensitivity.
 
Back
Top Bottom