TKR Arthroscopic Surgery after TKR to Release Popliteus.

@jaspa Other things that really work-- I keep a small basin beside me in bed. It is stocked with my water bottles, meds, and crackers so that I don't take pills on an empty stomach. I also bought a multi-port charging station that sits on my nightstand for charging my phone and tablets. I sometimes use a tote bag to carry my empty/ full water bottles and gel packs between my bedroom and the kitchen. I bought a cheap holder that fits over the walker and carried my cell phone, water bottles, and gel packs. I graduated to the tote when I started using the cane. Some people use a backpack.

I already have a high toilet, so I bought standalone rails that fit on either side and do not require bolting to the toilet. (Vive standalone toilet rail) They are sturdy, and I highly recommend them. You will need a raised toilet seat and rails if your toilet is lower.

I haven't used the shower chair that I bought and don't know whether I ever will. My doctor uses an old fashioned island dressing that can't get wet for 2 weeks. (The hidden blessing is that I am not allergic to it.) I bought a knee cover that would allow me to shower, but it just seems like too much effort. I surprisingly am fine with washing my hair in my deep kitchen sink and giving myself head to toe sponge baths. I bought a bulk package of white washcloths before surgery for this purpose.

I assume that you will receive home aids when you are released from the hospital, such as a grabber, long shoe horn, etc. If not, you will find a grabber useful for high and low items. (I picked a lettuce leaf off of my toe this morning.:heehee:)

Also think about what you are going to wear when you are lounging about the house. I have found that calf-length dresses and/or nightgowns are really comfortable because they go on over my head. For PT, I wear wide-legged Capri pants in a soft fabric.
 
Last edited:
I elevate using the Lounge Doctor, which is mentioned in the elevation article in Bone Smart.

Many of our members use the Lounge Doctor.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 13–I feel amazing today with a lot less pain and energy to burn. I think that I will be a semi-permanent member of the over did it club. I vacuumed my living room before PT without my cane. In my defense, I used a lightweight cordless vacuum. After PT, I walked outside for the first time and did a round trip on the sidewalk that fronts my house. I am now icing and elevating.:) I have the energy to climb mountains, but I am stuck in the valley.

My in-home PT doesn’t think that I need outpatient PT as long as my flexion keeps improving. As we know, the only thing that is going to improve it is reducing the swelling and gentle stretches. Which is another reason for me to stop doing too much. Bummer.
 
@Rain Dancer thank you so much for all your helpful hints especially the washcloths, I have an attachment on toilet to raise it already as my knees didn't like the lower toilet for over a year but I threw out the handles awhile ago so will look into the free standing thing to see if it fits in my tiny bathroom. Hope you are icing and resting.
 
Day 14–Slow day to make up for yesterday’s excesses. The flexion fairy did not show up overnight to improve my flexion, so I am going to have to wait it out. I get my staples removed Thursday and can’t wait!
 
Wow, are you walking without the cane already?

@Jo Wo I am walking without a cane most of the time in my house, which is small. I still use it to get up when seated because of the initial stiffness. I started forgetting to use it, and it just spiraled from there. My balance is really good, despite a flexion of about 70.
 
I still use mine at night for the bathroom walk, and in the morning til my leg loosens up, and on the stairs. Outside I sometimes hold it without using it because the ground is uneven and the acorns are already dropping on the walkway, they could cause a sudden loss of balance.
 
@Jo Wo Sounds like a good plan. I expect to use the cane outside for awhile. I fortunately have only one step inside my house, so that makes it easier.
 
Two weeks from surgery—Surgery seems so long ago, which is a good thing. It is nice to put those first couple of chaotic days behind me. The pain has decreased quite a bit. I am not ready to reduce the Advil and Tylenol yet, but I can envision getting there. I have discovered that marching in place is helping my flexion. I only do about 10 steps with the left knee, but have noticed that my bend while walking is much improved. This seems to work better than the heel slides.
 
Rain Dancer you are amazing! I hope I do half as well as you are doing. My surgery isn't until 8/20 and it is encouraging to read about recoveries that are going well.
 
Interesting tip about the marching in place....I did that with home pt, but haven't done it in a while. Heel slides are only now getting easier for me at six weeks. The past few days my scar has loosened up a lot, and my swelling seems reduced too.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom