TKR Arthroscopic Surgery after TKR to Release Popliteus.

Surgeons who do replacements need to look outside the box and not think that x-rays and the occasional MRI can diagnose all postoperative issues. They need to be doing dynamic ultrasounds, CT scans, and other tests to see what is happening functionally with the knee. And, although this may be controversial, they should do arthroscopic surgery if they can’t figure it out. Based on my experience, I recommend that patients also consult sports medicine doctors when a joint replacement surgeon can’t diagnose the issue.
I agree 100%.

Even after recently falling on my PKR, causing lots of swelling, except for new X-rays which look fine, the only other test my newest, and third second opinion, will do is an MRI of my lumbar spine, to see if it’s causing any nerve issues in my knee. My knee is 6 years old and has never been right, but no one will look further at my knee.


And, although this may be controversial, they should do arthroscopic surgery if they can’t figure it out.

With such a bad experience behind me for 6 years I have always thought I wouldn’t let anyone go inside my knee unless they knew what they were going to do. But now I wish someone would, because something has definitely been wrong for a long time.

I’m grateful that we found my issue but also am struggling with anger that it took so long to fix, and I am angry for others who are suffering with undiagnosed postoperative issues.
I’ve been pretty angry at times, also.

I’m glad that you are a success story!
 
Got my stitches out two days ago and my knee continues to feel fantastic. There still is some fluid in the knee and swelling, but that is to be expected. The top of my left foot is really painful, which we think is from my newest, and hopefully last, gait change. If it weren’t for that, I would be going for long walks and dancing in my kitchen! My flexion is starting to improve, as measured by the car door test. So much for the belief that flexion can’t improve after a certain amount of time. I had been stuck at 95 degrees for 17 months because of the popliteus issue. I can’t wait to see where I end up.
 
Hi Rain Dancer,
It’s been one month to date since your procedure. I hope you continue to make and enjoy steady progress. Happy One Month Anniversary on your way back to some fun dancing in your kitchen. :happyfeet:
@Rain Dancer
 
@Layla Thanks for asking about my progress and for the good wishes! I am doing well. I have to remind myself that I am still recovering from surgery even if the knee feels so much better than before. Thus, some pain and stiffness should be expected. My physical therapist says that the greatest threat after release surgery is the formation of scar tissue, so I am trying to keep active. Yesterday, I gardened for about an hour, pruning bushes and cutting plants to the ground, which was complicated by having to stand on river rock. The knee held up beautifully! I also did laps around the grocery store for the first time in many months, going up and down each aisle to see what was new. And there has been a little dancing in my kitchen. I am getting my life back!
 
Boy, so many PTs are obsessed with adhesions, what they call 'scar tissue'. Adhesions are actually very rare and are caused by hot and dry tissues. Overworking an area will cause the tissues to get hot and dry. That's why gentle exercises are so much better!
 
Major announcement—for the first time since having the TKR, I peddled backwards on the recumbent bike at PT. Only took 20 months and a knee arthroscopy to get me there! Still can’t do a forward revolution, but I know that will come. And … I can get out of my car without having to push the seat back or open the door as wide as it will go. Yippee!
 
I’m home from my weekly PT session. I was able able to pedal forwards for the first time in 20 months! Also, after massage and stretching, my flexion was 111 degrees. I teared up when I heard the number. This journey has been so long and mentally draining. I’m so blessed to be one of the long haulers who found the answer to my problems. I hope that the others will find their answers too.
 
Hello and Happy Monday. I hope you had a nice Easter weekend.
It's now two months since your procedure and things are looking up!
Have a great week and wonderful Spring 2023!
@Rain Dancer
 
This journey has been so long and mentally draining. I’m so blessed to be one of the long haulers who found the answer to my problems. I hope that the others will find their answers too.
Congratulations! I am so glad you are making real progress now. It must be such a relief.
 
Congratulations on your recent progress and thanks for posting to assist others!

I'm not clear in your symptoms to diagnose the tendinopathy. Could you reiterate? I did the test you posted and have popping sensation flexing and extending along with discomfort/pressure on outside of the knee. Tried it on my other side with no symptoms!
 
@2chains Thanks! Sorry that you are still having issues. The popliteus issue affected a number of things. I could only walk a few steps before I had pain on the outside of the knee (lateral side). The pain was on the upper calf, the crease of the knee, and above the knee, which is where the popliteus is located. I had no pain on the medial side. My gait would get worse the longer I walked.

My flexion was stuck at about 93 degrees. (My flexion now is 115 degrees and continues to improve.) My extension was 0 degrees, but I couldn’t keep the knee flat in bed for longer than a few minutes without placing a pillow under it because of pain on the lateral side.

If I tried to lie on my left side (the surgery side) there was sharp lateral pain as I maneuvered the leg into position. The pain could be relieved by putting a pillow between my knees. I would experience the pain again as I rolled onto my back. I had no pain when lying on my right side.

This could be your issue from your description of the test results. Some people experience pain only when lying on the operated side and have no pain when walking. As mentioned in my earlier posts, this issue was not diagnosed via an x-ray or MRI. I hope that you resolve your issue soon. I am happy to answer any more questions that you may have.
 
Thanks for posting these details, I've also linked it in my own thread for reference.

I have a number of similar issues ie. pain/ swelling on outside knee upper calf (but not in the crease or back). Also popping when I do that test. I mentioned the pain in a previous medical appointment and dr considered it back issues ie. L5-S1 lumbar thing.

I will forward the medical review you referenced to my general practitioner and see what they say. :flwrysmile:
 
:hi:Happy Three Month Anniversary, since your procedure.
I hope you're doing well and enjoying the Spring so far.
Take good care and stay in touch!
@Rain Dancer
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom