TKR Arthroscopic Surgery after TKR to Release Popliteus.

@Jo Wo Thank you for telling me about your difficulty with the heel slides. I thought there was something wrong with me, but it sounds as if I just have to wait it out. Glad to hear about the reduced swelling. My staples come out today, and I suspect that I will be walking better without them.
 
For me, heel slides always remain tough, even months out. I am happy with my flexion. Don’t know the measurements. Don’t care to know. I can do most of the things I want and I am not even halfway through this year long recovery.
 
@Rain Dancer you are doing great!
Is this normal that Tylenol and Advil are taken together for the pain instead of the heavy duty stuff which is what I want to be able to avoid if possible.
Also what about any natural remedies such as Arnica which I use now when my knees or legs are really bothering me? Would love to hear what everyone thinks.
 
Staples came out today, and my knee feels so much better without the pulling sensation. Of course, the PA was concerned about flexion. He said that I needed to be at 90 degrees in two weeks or they would do an MUA at six weeks. I told him that I would not agree to do an MUA so soon in my recovery. It's a shame that an otherwise excellent surgical team gets so hung up on the numbers. Fortunately, I am in charge of my recovery.
 
@jaspa I couldn't take advil the first month while I was on aspirin for clot prevention, but I add it midway between tylenol doses if needed.

@Raindancer, at pt they have me lie face up on the table and roll a cylindrical bolster toward my bottom with my feet. It is easier than the heel slides for some reason.
 
@jaspa I know that our local rehab hospital transitions people off of opioids onto Advil and Tylenol when they are admitted. My home nurse is a casual nurse at the rehab hospital and got me onto the protocol when tramadol turned out to be such a disaster for me. It seems to be the newest trend to use the combination. I still had quite a bit of pain when walking, but I could sleep, and the nausea went away. I will do anything to avoid nausea! I am going to start tapering off as I continue to heal. I don't regret my decision.
 
@Jo Wo Thanks for the tip about the bolster. I have one of those and am going to try it.
 
@Jo Wo @BBCG Thanks for the great advice. The sleep felt wonderful and I napped this afternoon too. I am getting my best sleep when I don’t elevate. It is amazing how much better I feel without the Tramadol. I have pain, but it is manageable, and I don’t feel sluggish or nauseated. In fact, my energy is pretty amazing. I even washed my hair tonight by balancing at the kitchen sink without the walker. I feel very blessed.

Little things like a hair wash make you feel so much more human again! I did the same thing and what a difference! I am finding the fewer pain meds I use the better I am feeling over all
 
Was just discharged from home PT. The last thing we did was to see whether I could get into my Beetle. Yes, I can! So, I can drive myself to PT if I decide to go. I might schedule it for next Friday and just work on gentle stretches in the interim to try to boost flexion. The PT office is only 5 minutes away.
 
Last edited:
My guy must be old school - no ice machine, no CPM, No wedge pillow, etc. were mentioned. Flex ice paks, Ankle bends, and regular bed pillows to elevate, but it's working fine so far. LOL One piece of equipment I would consider essential is a raised commode to position over the toilet so you do not have such a far drop or rise. That has been a game changer. Local thrift store had them for 5 dollars.
 
Day 18–the dog days of summer and rehab! I am tapering off Advil and Tylenol today. My last Tylenol was at 4am and my last Advil was at 7 am. My back is objecting to no Advil, but the knee seems fine. I may take some Advil before bed. I am looking forward to my alarm not waking me up every 3 hours to take a pill. Of course, my cat will wake me up at about 3 am for breakfast, which will give me a chance to get a gel pack. He wages a campaign of increasing antics until I acquiesce to his demands. The final stage involves licking my face, which I can’t stand. Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.:catbutterfly:
 
My guy must be old school - no ice machine, no CPM, No wedge pillow, etc. were mentioned. Flex ice paks, Ankle bends, and regular bed pillows to elevate, but it's working fine so far. LOL One piece of equipment I would consider essential is a raised commode to position over the toilet so you do not have such a far drop or rise. That has been a game changer. Local thrift store had them for 5 dollars.
I struggled if I had to sit on the pot until I discovered the turn the walker around trick.

I was not given ice machine, CPM, or wedge. I was told do not sleep with pillow under my knee - something I have done for years - I think I got in the habit of pillow under my knees when I had low back issues. So now my good leg has a pillow under it and PKR leg lays flat on bed during sleep. Never have pain in my leg if I stay on my back.

I still can't sleep on side. I tried several times but soon as I get the leg somewhat in position and comfortable the side of my knee starts aching and I have to flip to my back. I can see how it would be a major problem sleeping if I had pain like that in knee when on my back.
 
Day 20–I slept for 7 hours last night without interruption! It felt wonderful. I am completely off the Advil and am taking 1000 mg of Tylenol twice a day. My stomach is much happier without the Advil, but my knee isn’t. I wish that NSAIDs didn’t have such terrible side effects. I may try Voltaren cream, which doesn’t upset my stomach. My first outside PT appointment is Wednesday. I want to see what they have to offer. Meanwhile I am just hunkered down and avoiding the heat and humidity.
 
You are right to avoid the NSAIDs if they upset your stomach. They didn’t upset mine, but a month ago I ended up in hospital having three bags of blood. Unbeknown to me I had a stomach ulcer. All I had noticed was that my fingernails had gone white and I kept feeling really dizzy, and a change in faeces.
I was so worried about not sleeping that I took a volteren tablet every night before bedtime, when my stomach was probably almost empty.
 
Ps. Two days in hospital did wonders for my ROM! Came out with really bendy legs and the best angle ever. It didn’t last long.
 
Wow what a miraculous recover. Trying not to feel jealous, am glad things going well for you
 
Back
Top Bottom