Guest viewing is limited

TKR April 28, 2026

I have no choice but to use my arms to sit to stand for the longest time. I’m hoping it’s not forever.
The way I was shown to try to get up using less arm strength it is to edge your bottom nearer the front of the chair with your feet firmly on the floor and your knees ever so slightly over your feet. Then you rock your upper body backwards and forwards a couple of times using the momentum as you go forward on the final time while engaging your core and legs to push yourself up.
Your physio can show you this, and gradually this should get everything working together again and hopefully the rocking becomes less obvious and eventually tails off.
When you are sitting too far back in the chair - simple biomechanics means it’s too much load to get up easily. I hope this helps and please practice with your physio.
 
One week to go until your Right TKR. I hope you're hanging in there and the pain isn't unbearable.
Wishing you comfort as you count down these few days before surgery.
Take care!
@Jermert
 
I’m doing well, still doing 2 times a week PT on left, not seeing a lot of improvement, I kind of wish they would leave me be and just let me heal but alas I must follow the rules. Flexion remains slow and I still have a bit of LCL pain from time to time. I’m ready for the right, I feel I learned a lot from my left and your guidance along with the other moderators. Bring it on I’m ready.
 
We appreciate your kind sentiment.

Bring it on I’m ready
Good, I'm glad you're ready! I hope you'll continue to share your recoveries here as one rolls into the other. We value your input as part of the community because what you share may help someone else more than you realize.

As far as improvement, you still have plenty of time since you're not quite four months post op. You're the boss of you, not PT, so don't allow them to push you or force you to do anything that causes you pain. :wink: While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase. Give it time, without getting hung up on numbers or unrealistic timelines and you'll do just fine. Two new knees...soon you'll be ready to chase some dreams, Jermert!
I hope you sleep well tonight!
@Jermert
 
So, more fodder for all who wish to share opinions and experience with me.

My surgeon and his PA have both insinuated that if my flexion doesn’t improve to at least 120 degrees I may have to be put under anesthesia and the knee be manually manipulated to get the desired mobility. My questions are these, is this another painful procedure, it sure sounds like it. So should I resist, and if you feel at some point it may be necessary, when and how long does that recovery last?
 
I'm guessing this feels a little threatening to you, Jermert. When we hear there are timelines we need to follow or deadlines we need to meet, it can feel a little unsettling. Not all surgeons approach stiffness after TKR the same way and MUA isn't always a necessary path. You can regain your ROM with continued "gentle" PT, activity, more time and patience. You have lots of room for improvement at not even four months post op, there is no
Window Of Opportunity that will close on you. Many continue to enjoy progress into their second and even third years post op. If you're making progress, even if it's slower than you hoped, you're still moving in the right direction. I can certainly understand why you'd be hesitant to face another procedure and pain that could potentially set you back when your knee is continuing to improve and you're facing your next surgery in six days.
Wishing you comfort as you await your Right TKR next Tuesday. We'll be here to cheer you on in your recovery.
A brighter future awaits! :thumb:
@Jermert
 
I think you should dismiss this idea about having a MUA. The majority of OSs won't even do one once a patient reaches 90 degrees. A MUA is needed when adheisons are stopping your knee from bending. When you reach a certain bend, the knee would have a 'hard stop' and refuses to bend any more. This would be at a low ROM number, like 50 or so.

The scar tissue (which is more correctly called adhesions) is very rare, and one of the easiest ways to develop it is to work your knee too hard. Over-worked knees get inflamed and hot, and hot tissues become drier than normal and more likely to stick together and form adhesions.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.

When you have a MUA, your knee will be forced to bend further than it is healed enough to do. This will cause a big setback in your recovery. Your knee will become inflamed, swollen, and very painful. My suggestion is to wait at least until after your upcoming TKR if you do decide to have the MUA. Your old knee will have to take on most of the work since your new knee will a 'newborn' and needs lots of TLC.
 
@Jermert We have lots of members who have declined an MUA and recovered beautifully. It might be helpful to read these stats about their progress, and see how their flexion returned slowly but surely.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
2 months - 80 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

TortiTabby's ROM
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks: 120

I hope this is reassuring, since you are are further along than any of these members were at 4 months post-op. Recovery takes time.
 
knee will become inflamed, swollen, and very painful. My

@Jermert We have lots of members who have declined an MUA and recovered beautifully. It might be helpful to read these stats about their progress, and see how their flexion returned slowly but surely.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
2 months - 80 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

TortiTabby's ROM
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks: 120

I hope this is reassuring, since you are are further along than any of these members were at 4 months post-op. Recovery takes time.
Thanks so much for sharing the encouragement.
 
I think I would be reluctant to have a MUA at around the same time as you are having the other side done. I know some people here have coped with bilateral knee replacements- but I certainly felt I needed a 'good' leg to cope- especially as I have a lot of stairs.
MUAs vary a lot in frequency between countries but the overall results are less variable. It is another surgical procedure though and has its own recovery time with pain/ soreness.
I was never measured and have excellent ROM. How do you feel your mobility is shaping up? Can you feel your knee is gradually getting more movement?
I would listen to your body. I found certain movements painful ( like squats) for several months and my ROM would have been very limited in those movements.
You could also try to get another opinion from an independent physio/ PT or surgeon about your level of recovery if you feel very pushed into MUA.
ROM after surgery does vary a lot. If you are still having pain/ swelling - then this will limit it. Also what you can expect varies according to things like pre- op flexibility, muscle development and pre existing injuries.Also the type of implant.
Some people who had very strong, tight muscles before surgery may have less ROM but have a very strong well functioning implant. I read about someone here on BoneSmart who had limited ROM but was paddleboarding successfully. This is something I couldnt do despite much greater ROM. Function is more important than numbers.
I was rather hypermobile and had a very mobile implant so I have excellent ROM- but my muscles are not that strong and I have some loose ligaments which have led to painful tendinitis.
Implants do vary in their movement range.
I have an Oxford fixed lateral which is very mobile. In fact this type of implant is now always uses fixed rather than mobile bearings.This is because when it used to use mobile bearings there was a 10% chance of dislocation.
So think carefully about what is right for you and do not necessarily be pushed into anything.
 
Function is more important than numbers.
No truer words have been spoken about our ROM! My bend hung around 110 the first few years, but I was able to do everything I wanted to do. Now, it's 130+! I'm proof that it can improve on its own even after 5-10 years!
 
If interested, following you'll find threads of those that experienced MUA's
Here -> MUA
 
New measurements today, last PT session on lefty. Extension -3 and flexion 116, I’m happy with those and I believe I have grounds to decline the manual manipulation. Yay me. Thanks to everyone who has lifted my spirits these past few days. I’m ready for my next challenge. Righty coming 8/25
 
Hi Jermert :wave:
Great news! I am glad you're feeling more relaxed and you're avoiding the MUA. I hope you'll share your
Right TKR recovery with us so we can cheer you on and continue to read about Lefty's progress also.
Thanks for updating us, I hope you sleep well tonight and have a nice weekend!
@Jermert
 
Those numbers are great and will continue to improve. I had a very difficult first year after my PKR, but had a lot of improvement all through my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. I even saw a little bit more ROM in my third year!
 
At least than 4 months out, your numbers are quite good! I suggest with your upcoming replacement, that you get gentle with lefty. It doesn't need to be inflamed when having to take over all the 'work' after your new surgery.
 
Those are excellent numbers. For Righty on 8/25 remember to be icing and elevating both legs. At first it might seem odd, but you'll quickly become used to it! Good job.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, Jermert!
Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery.
Will be on the lookout for your first update. Hope to hear from you soon. :thumb:
@Jermert
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom