Guest viewing is limited

TKR April 28, 2026

She didn’t say much nice about my Flexion, said I was at 70 percent or a little more. Does anyone know what the end goal is? Will heat applied prior to therapy exercises help to loosen joint up.
At only 2 weeks out, you should not be concerned with your bend at all. Swelling is what is keeping your knee from bending more. Applying heat will only increase your swelling, having this opposite effect. Heat feeds inflammation, which increases your swelling. Where as, ice reduces inflammation, helping to lower your swelling. When this happens, your knee will naturally bend more. It's a time thing, not an exercise thing.
I’m not a whiner but man this really hurts or am I doing something wrong?
Yes, you are doing something wrong if it is causing pain. Pain is counterproductive, and again, you'll increase that swelling and inflammation. A little discomfort is OK, but pain is not.

Unfortunately, many therapists are not trained in joint replacement therapy and actually are more harmful than helpful. At only 2 weeks you should only be doing gentle movements and a little walking. This is a yearlong recovery and you need lots of time to heal! Patience is the only muscle you should be exercises right now!
 
Hi Jermert,
Great news you got rid of the staples and the incision is looking good! :thumb:
Will heat applied prior to therapy exercises help to loosen joint up
I wouldn't advise this. Applying heat now can increase blood flow to the area which can cause more swelling, pain and stiffness. This can make it more difficult for you to bend your knee. You also don't want heat around the incision as it can irritate the area.

She didn’t say much nice about my Flexion, said I was at 70 percent or a little more.
This is fine. Don't worry about numbers or any unrealistic goals or timelines. You'll get where you need to be as your body continues to heal. Trust the process. :wink:

You will find the following activity progression (to use as a rough guideline) in the Activity Progression For TKR under the Recovery Guidelines. Some will exceed, some will lag behind, both are ok.

If you're really hurting, you may be pushing it more than necessary. If you feel you're not, consider talking to your care team about adjusting or adding meds. Make sure you're icing because it really does help with pain. Ice for at least 45 minutes and always place fabric between the ice source and bare skin.

Week 1 Post Total Knee Replacement​

Focus on short walks within the home, at least every hour or two that you're awake, such as trips to the bathroom or kitchen. Avoid activities like cooking or housework at this stage. Continue with ankle pumps and gentle knee bends to promote circulation and help prevent blood clots. Prioritize rest, ice, and keep the leg elevated as much as possible to support healing.
Week 2
In addition to the activities from Week 1, begin incorporating short walks around the home 3-4 times per day, aiming for approximately five minutes each. The goal is to build endurance gradually. Avoid pushing through pain or fatigue. Stop and rest before reaching the point of discomfort, or exhaustion.
Week 3
Continue with all previous activities. Gradually increase walks to 5-10 minutes, several times per day, as tolerated.
New activity: Begin preparing simple meals or snacks for yourself to encourage gentle movement and independence, while staying within your current mobility and energy limits.

Wishing you comfort and hope the pain eases enough for you to enjoy the weekend.
Thanks for the update...take care! :)
 
Walking is a great way to regain mobility. This early in your recovery, don't worry about distance -- walk slowiy and purposefully with proper gait. IN this early phase, it's best to keep using some kind of walking aid -- a walker, a cane, or crutches -- for support so that you do not develop a limp.

We recommend heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through the foot to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual

1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step. It can feel awkward at first, but with practice, will become more natural.
 
Walking was my friend and I used a stick for confidence for months. @benne68 is right that good form is more important than distance at this stage. I also used ice for ages as I found resting with my Aircast Cryocuff really comfortable after a good walk outside in the morning. I used to walk gradually increasing distances, stopping half way for coffee/ read the newspaper and then walk home.
Dont worry about bend too much early on. As others say; swelling and pain will limit your bend currently. And forcing things will only increase the pain and swelling and be counterproductive.
 
I echo all the others, it is way too early to worry about your bend. It will return as your swelling goes down and as you heal. Too often our medical teams expect way too much, way too early.
 
Thanks legseleven. I am trying that starting today.
 
Went well, therapist put me on cane today, I’m at 86 degrees Flexion and -106 degrees extension. He seemed pleased with my progress. I did tell him today I understood the need to push a little but I was not interested in pain to heal.
 
Wonderful news! You're doing really well and I'm happy to hear you've communicated your limits clearly with your PT. Keep up the good work...great things to come! :thumb:
@Jermert
 
She didn’t say much nice about my Flexion, said I was at 70 percent or a little more. Does anyone know what the end goal is? Will heat applied prior to therapy exercises help to loosen joint up. I’m not a whiner but man this really hurts or am I doing something wrong?
When I completed PT, my range of motion was 125° with the strap and 122° on my own. I think that is the around the desired goal, but I'm no expert.

When I was six weeks post-op, we added high intensity laser therapy (5-minute treatment) to the end of each PT session. It sends focused heat deep into the tissue. My husband and I both felt I turned a corner once we began that, it was subtle, but notable. Might be something to look at in a few weeks, if available. My insurance did not cover it, so we paid out of pocket.

Yes, this is painful. And it tests our patience. People told me, but experiencing it firsthand is a whole other thing. Thanks to reading this forum, I knew I didn't have to let any of the exercises be painful, although it is important to challenge and push myself without risk of injury. My Physical Therapist was realistic and not pushy.

There is a lot of good information in these forums. Thank you bonesmart!!
 
Yes, this is painful. And it tests our patience.
The Bonesmart way is that it should not be painful. Pain is a clue to stop. The majority of recoveries have been fine without PT and the flexion and extension returns as the knee heals and the internal swelling subsides. As you say @alex_mom patience is key.
 
Hi Jermert,
Hope you're having a good week.
You've hit a milestone...Happy One Month Anniversary!
Have a great day and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Jermert
 
Thank you Layla, hard to believe. I have progressed out of the walker to the cane and now without the cane while I’m in the house or yard. Still very stiff but I’m hoping for the release coming soon. Have a wonderful day!!!!
 
Hi again Jermert,
Thanks for the update!
It's wonderful news you've transitioned from the walker to only using the cane at times. You may find it beneficial to take it with you on outings where there are other people because it does signal to others to allow you space to move about.

It is common to still have pain, swelling and stiffness at only one month post op. Icing on a regular basis may help reduce the stiffness by reducing swelling and inflammation. You're not beyond the point to appreciate the benefits of icing. So give it a try and see if you notice any difference with the stiffness. Article on Icing -> HERE
You're making good progress. Keep it up and enjoy the week! :thumb:
@Jermert
 
Hello all, PT today was tiring however lots of good to report. Cane is gone, walking with no aid, starting to train on steps. Standing on the new knee unsupported. Got on an exercise bike and was able to do a revolution backwards which takes roughly 92• to get around so I’m very happy with my progress. Home icing now and will be for a bit. Next weeks goal is one flight of stairs. We shall see how it goes. I’m floating on cloud nine right now. Suggested the get a high intensity laser to use for rehab and he listened and actually emailed their purchasing to try and by one. So everything is looking up. I can thank the members of this forum for all your support.
 
I’m floating on cloud nine right now.
Woohoo:xmark: So many positives! I'm happy for you, Jermert.
We're thankful you're sharing your journey with us, keep posting the good news!:thumb:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom