Guest viewing is limited

TKR April 28, 2026

That’s great news @Jermert. Having realistic and achievable goals is a great way to approach recovery and you’re doing great.
Thanks for updating us, we love good recovery stories and it’s so helpful for other members to read.
 
Reading your post made do my happy dance! You are coming along so well.
 
Rough day today!!!!!!! Physical therapy yesterday, I’m guessing by the stiffness of the joint and general pain I’ve overdone it. Am I wrong to rest it and ice it all day today. Worst day I’ve had, still able to move around without stability aids but weak and wobbly.
 
Your assumption that you overdid it is likely right. I'm sorry you're hurting, Jermert.
Sounds like you entered the ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Resting and icing today, without exercising, is your best bet. Icing for at least 45 minutes each time you ice, should help.
Engage in the activities of daily living, as tolerated, until the pain and stiffness ease.

Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between your skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

I hope you feel better soon!
@Jermert
 
Sorry you are having a tough day, @Jermert. It's easy to overdo things as we start to feel a bit better.

Rest, ice and elevate are the best things you can do for yourself. Remember that this recovery is a marathon not a sprint and you are still early days in this journey.

Also, please note that I've moved your latest post out of William's thread and here into your own. Please post your personal updates here so you have a full record of your recovery journey. You might want to bookmark the thread to make it easier to find.
 
Oh bad luck, it’s so easy to do, we get on what we think is a roll and then oops ODIC…
I often iced after exercise, even up to 4.5 months post op when it finally stopped being effective.
You can’t really rest, elevate and ice too much so long as you’re moving about and doing your daily activities as well. The knee is in charge of this recovery and you’ll get better at grading your activities. (The Bonesmart way is PT should not equal pain.)
PS I love this picture, it’s so true.
IMG_4728.webp
 
In the first few months, I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down. It helped to keep me off of meds, and kept the swelling down. That swelling really adds to the pain.

When you take PT again, it's best to just do gentle movements, especially with no pushing or pulling of your leg! Gentle movements will benefit you a lot more than aggressive ones will.
 
Much better today, had PT again but discussed with therapist prior to starting about pushing to hard. Came home and iced after the session and I’m happy to say I don’t feel anything like I did a few days ago. I feel much better. Thanks again for the encouragement.
 
Good for you for standing up for yourself! It's really unfortunate that many PTs have never been properly trained in how to work with a joint replacement patient. They try to apply the techniques they use for rehabbing sports injuries -- and that doesn't work.

You might want to review this article again: Myth busting: no pain, no gain
 
Well I may have really overdone it yesterday, I was feeling very good and decided I was going to mow part or all of my small yard. I finished getting mower out of the garage and filled the fuel tank when my bull mastiff came up behind me and I tripped over him and fell on my replaced knee. The initial pain was immense and did not improve overnight. Mobility was reduced and knee very stiff. My LCL was very sore and tender to touch. While showering today a felt a slight pop in the joint and the pain was immediately better but not gone. Any guesses or suggestions. I really hope I haven’t set myself back.
 
I'm sorry this happened to you, @Jermert. It's probably just soft tissue discomfort. However, to be on the safe side, you should call your surgeon's office and ask if you should be seen.

Meanwhile, are you icing and elevating?
 
Oh no, so sorry, Jermert!
It can't hurt to be evaluated to make sure all is aligned and intact as it should be. Hopefully you'll receive some reassurance and advice on the best way to treat the issue. Best wishes it resolves soon.
@Jermert
 
Oh no, falling on that knee is something we are all afraid of doing, and you did just that. Your soft tissues are quite angry now. When my tkr was just shy of a year out, I stepped in a hole, fell, broke my right foot and ankle, and fell right on that new knee. It took months for it to settle back now. Of course, having the broken bones and that same leg didn't help.

I agree that you should take it very easy and baby it until your knee settles back down. You can't rush it and it'll take as long as it takes!
 
Thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement. Just my clumsiness at work. Well my dog helped lol.
 
Yes following RICE, surgeon left decision up to me whether I needed to be seen. Ugh.
I would probably err on the side of caution and get it checked. Generally these implants are incredibly solid and falls just lead to soft tissue injury- although that's not to underestimate the pain that can cause.
Take it really easy and baby your knee.
 
Hi Jermert,
You're coming up on a week tomorrow since you took a tumble. How are you doing? I hope things have settled and with some rest / ice you're doing better. :fingersx: Please let us know...we do care.
@Jermert
 
Well I am almost back to where I was, the walking doesn’t hurt as much as it did. So I’m still icing and elevating. I can sleep on my side again which is wonderful. I am starting to work on scar tissue again so keep me in your thoughts, fingers crossed it’s all gonna be ok
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom