Guest viewing is limited

TKR April 28, 2026

Thanks for the update, Jermert! Will keep you in our thoughts and on our radar.
It is good to read that you're almost back to where you were before the fall. :yay:
I'm a side sleeper for the most part and it's unfortunate when you can't sleep in the position you find most comfortable, so glad you're able to again.
Have a great rest of the day and week! :SUNsmile:
@Jermert
 
I can sleep on my side again which is wonderful
I second this. It was 5 weeks post bilateral last year before I could even try and I’m finding this year occasionally I can do it for a short time, like at 3.30 am today. Yay!
I hope you’re all continue to improve and feel better, very bad luck.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Jermert!
I hope you have a good week and a safe 4th of July weekend!
Please keep us posted on your progress.
@Jermert
 
So today was another PT day and the following are the results 5 degrees extension 105 degrees flexion
Looking for 0 and 120 respectivley. Saw surgeon on Monday, he was hoping for more mobility but seemed pretty satisfied other than that. Right knee now scheduled for mid late August for tkr.
 
Do you have a date for the right TKR yet? Let us know so we can add it to your signature.
 
5 degrees extension 105 degrees flexion
Looking for 0 and 120 respectivley.
You will get there with more time. At less than 3 months post-op, you are not even 1/4 of the way through this year-long recovery.

We have lots of members who regained their range of motion slowly -- but they did ultimately reach their goals. Here are progress reports shared by a few members whose ROM returned slowly but surely. Notice that their flexion was not as good as yours at the 3 month mark!

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
2 months - 80 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

TortiTabby's ROM
6 wks: 85
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks: 120

Just remember that we are all different and our bodies heal in their own time.
 
Keep in mind that regaining our ROM doesn't require aggressive bending or challenging movements, in fact that approach can be self defeating. It is more about consistent, gentle repetition over time. Healing takes time. Time for the body to recover, for the pain and swelling to ease, and for everything to settle. Your ROM is already there, just waiting for the right conditions to emerge. In most cases it doesn't need to be forced, struggled for, or stressed over, It will come naturally and gradually.

So it's Righty's turn in August. Two new knees! You'll feel like a new man heading into 2027! :yahoo:
@Jermert
 
Hi Jermert!
Stopping by to say Hi and check on your progress.
It is your three month anniversary today...Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Wondering about the date for your Right TKR? You mentioned August, so it's getting close. If you'll share the date, we'll add it to your signature and be here to cheer you on as you move toward surgery / recovery.
Lots of comfort to you as you wait!
@Jermert
 
Well the date for the right one is August 25, 2026. I am mostly pain and swelling free, 0 degrees extension and 113 degrees. I am doing quad strengthening on the left leg in prep for hauling all the load for a bit. Still doing PT twice a week.
 
We appreciate you sharing the date. Thankfully your mostly pain and swelling free! I hope it remains that way for you over the next several weeks. I will be following your journey and hope you have an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery. :thumb: A great rest of the day to you!
@Jermert
 
And you too, anyone have any sage advice about getting up on the recent new knee.
 
Hi again Jermert,
I think you're asking about getting up after your second TKR when your Left knee is only four months old, right?
Your Left knee should be much stronger than it was early on, especially if you're working on quad strength now. Your PT will teach you the safest way to stand using your walker and your arms to take some of the load. I believe you'll be surprised how quickly, Lefty steps up to the challenge.

If this isn't what you meant, please let us know and we'll respond. :)
@Jermert
 
You're welcome! We aim to please, kind sir. :wink:
 
You are having a great recovery if you already have that much ROM at 3 months, @Jermert. I agree with Layla that you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well your new left knee does when it's called upon to handle more of the load.

Just be sure to give righty plenty of time to recover -- it's been handling more than its share since April so it might need a bit of extra babying.

By the way, if you haven't already read it, be sure to check out this article about the "quiet protocol" for early knee recovery.
 
I think you will do just fine. Mine were spaced 6 months apart, so a bit farther than yours. Frankly the only thing that I recall was the sleeping. I still wasn't sleeping well because of my first knee, then had the second one and it demanded I rest / nap. So the first knee enjoyed more rest!! I just rolled with what my body & knee needed sleep wise and we made it through.

I do know that the first knee wasn't overworked or anything having the second one done closely together. I imagine you will be napping and doing great in no time.
 
I used the arms to my chair to help me up after my surgery. I realize that many PTs don't like doing it this way, but I did what was safe for me and my knee. I recovered just fine without adding the armless sit to stand exercises.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom