TKR Approximate 2 year update

It's your knee and only you have the right to say what will happen to it.
No, I don't think you're being over-protective. I think you're being quite reasonable and very sensible.

What Celle said!!!! Even if the risk is very low of something negative happening from not having your scar covered, who will be paying the price if it does? YOU.. You have the greatest vested interest in protecting your knee, so YOU are the boss.. (the one time you are over your knee..... :loll:)

I know my PT felt it necessary to "look at" the incision / scar before it was completely healed.. and that in itself bugged me.. but then they re-covered it before icing.. as long as it's covered and protected from potential "invasion".. either option A or B.. You can even take option C and ice at home if you don't get cooperation with A or B.. Hope that helps! - Just my 2 cents.. :friends:
 
@wings can't believe it's already been 3 weeks! You are doing sooo well! If you feel more comfortable with the bandage on then wear it. Reading your post I thought 'oh that's so gross' but surely they put a pillowcase or something over the ice packs? I don't think they cleaned the ice packs at any of the places I've been but they are always put in a clean pillowcase before touching my skin. I'm ok with that.
 
Hey @bdink21. As gross as it sounds, that's what they do. No pillow case, no wrap. That's why I bandage my incision. It's mainly "sports medicine" and the PTs and PTA s are all young males. They don't have many surgical patients.

Probably tomorrow, I'll just skip the ice at PT and ice when I get home or maybe I'll just tell them I'm wearing a bandage because you guys are moving that ice pad from patient to patient with direct skin contact and it makes me uneasy. :bignono:.
 
Probably tomorrow, I'll just skip the ice at PT and ice when I get home or maybe I'll just tell them I'm wearing a bandage because you guys are moving that ice pad from patient to patient with direct skin contact and it makes me uneasy. :bignono:.
Quite right. You can ice much better at home.

What that PT outfit is doing is very sloppy practice.
I'd also be very wary of the approach they use - it should be much more gentle for recovery after surgery than it is for sports medicine.
 
My OS and PT said you have to use something between the ice pad and you leg or you risk frost burn or something like that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT visit went fine yesterday. You're so right @Celle about it being sloppy practice. They can digitally adjust the temperature of the water in the bag so I'm not as concerned about frost burn as contamination. That being said I had a great day. I rode the stationary recumbent bike. It was slow -very slow, but I rode for 7 minutes. No additional swelling last night or this morning. PT asked if I wanted to ice and I said, "no, thank you. I'll ice when I get home."

I'm consistently exercising my rt knee in preparation for the November 12 surgery date.

Hope all bonesmarties are having a great day!
 
Do what makes you comfortable with. I did my 6 home therapy sessions my insurance sent and that was it. I tried the one at the hospital but did not like their practice. I ended up with an ice burn on my knee. My hubby always had a clean towel between the ice and my skin. He would also use anti bacterial on the ice packs. His persistence on making me walk and exercise made me heal faster than I thought.. :doggie:
 
I'm gonna give this revision a year or more before I consider getting the left done. It is doing fine for right now anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @wings - Just checking in to see how you're doing.. Hope everything is continuing to go well for you and that you had a great weekend! :friends:
 
Thought I would check in. Glad I did as I see I've had some visitors :).

Sorry I haven't been around. We are in the midst of a family tragedy. My dear, sweet brother-in-law (58yrs old)just received a dx of stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.We are shell-shocked as he had a normal colonoscopy 5 years ago.

My knee recovery continues to be easy peasy but it is no longer possible to be as focused as I was. My knee function improves a little each day. I had company yesterday.so as usual I was sitting in my recliner and without realizing it would throw my friends into shock, I unthinkingly stood up and began walking across the room. They were like what are u doing? I responded what do you mean? They're like OMG you're walking totally normal. I can walk level surface totally normal, no gait problems :happydance:.

I'm doing well with my knee, but I am so sad. How quickly and unexpectedly our lives can change. Hugs to everyone and thank you all for thinking of me. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
I'm very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's diagnosis,

Glad to hear your knee is progressing well, though.
 
Sorry to hear about your brother in law. Glad to hear your knee is doing better. Please keep us posted. My thoughts and prayers are with you and you family.
 
Hey Wings, sad about your brother-in-law's diagnosis. We need to be thankful for everyday. Friday when I was at the gym, a group of adults with severe physical challenges came in to use the equipment with their care attendants. My knee seemed inconsequential. Sending a big hug your way.
 
Your knee recovery is so impressive!! I'm so happy for you! So sorry to hear of your brother in law.. That is such hard news to receive. Sending thoughts and prayers for him and your family. :friends:
 
Sad news . I've been through similar and I know you will be there for comfort and support.
 
{{{Wings' BIL & family}}}

So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's diagnosis. Sending hugs and TLC to him and his family.

Loved your story you shocking your friends by getting up from your recliner and walking. Glad to know that at one month out you seem to be doing well.

We'll understand if you don't stop by as often as you used to during this difficult time for your family. Just know we'll be sending all of you our love and best wishes.
 
Thanks for the support, hugs and prayers for my brother-in-law. Yesterday was his first day of chemo.

Yesterday was also the 4 week birthday for my new knee. On Monday my flexion measured an easy 114. I rode recumbent bike slowly but for an extra 2 minutes bringing total to 8 minutes. Walked up 15 steps with normal but slow foot over foot motion. I reduced pain medication - consistently taking 5mg hydrocodone every 6 hours during day; but stayed on the 10 for my night dose.

Going to browse other threads to see how my bonesmartie buddies are doing!
 
You and your brother-in-law, along with the rest of his family are lifted in prayer. I understand the sadness and would like to pass along some hope. My youngest brother (56) was also diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer and given 3 months to live at the beginning of last year. He had already battled and beaten Prostate Cancer. We were all devastated. This brother had just nursed his beloved wife through a fatal battle with Lymphoma two years before. My dear brother is alive, enjoying life and his cancer is stable. It had spread to his hips, spine, and around his heart - these areas are now gone, except for a place on his hip. God does miraculous things and blesses us in ways that our eyes and hearts cannot comprehend until they are revealed at a later date. My thoughts and prayers go out to you all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom