Guest viewing is limited

TKR Approximate 2 year update

@Timetolive, thank you so much for sending your message of hope and for your prayers! I needed a reminder of hope. God bless your brother and you, and may the healing continue.
 
I'm one day ahead of you in my recovery. Sounds like you're really doing well. Keep up the good work !
 
Flexion measured 117 at PT yesterday. The therapist thinks my bad right knee is the culprit in my continuing inability to stand from a seated position without arm assistance. Speaking of the right knee, surgery date is 4 weeks from today. I'm hoping for a 2 week near normal period to occur.

I had a difficult night. I could not get comfortable. I moved from the recliner to bed and that did not help. All that space in the bed is an invitation to toss and turn. I'm a side sleeper and I just cannot comfortably do that yet.

I drove to PT yesterday. Coming home I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a prescription. It was a very short trip but may have contributed to the difficult night.
 
Good morning @wings. Just catching up on your thread. I am so very sorry to read about your brother in law's diagnosis. Sending hope and healing wishes your way.

I'm only on day three and each one has been very different, and I imagine that goes on for awhile.

Hope you get good rest today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@swmrgirl, thank you for the well wishes.

Day 3 - woohoo :SUNsmile:! Each day is different. Things we normally take for granted become so exciting - first shower, ability to dress yourself, put on your shoes, raise your leg without a strap and walking.
 
That short trip into the store shouldn't make such a difference, should it? But almost certainly it was all it took for your knee to get a little grouchy. It does get better. At about 10 weeks with my first knee the tossing and turning stopped. Now, at 2 weeks out on my second knee I am tossing and turning again with the best of them! Hope you have a better night tonight.
 
Flexion measured 117 at PT yesterday. The therapist thinks my bad right knee is the culprit in my continuing inability to stand from a seated position without arm assistance.
Your PT may be correct. However, one month after surgery is a little soon to be expecting to do this. Time is on your side here.

I drove to PT yesterday. Coming home I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a prescription. It was a very short trip but may have contributed to the difficult night.
Yes, it doesn't take much extra activity at this early stage.
 
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
What's so funny? :rofsign:

I just found out that in about 30 minutes I will be the featured pre-dinner presenter to a group of orthopedic hand surgeons meeting in Texas. Of course we know I can't really do that, but I'll be there via PowerPoint presenting for their entertainment The local Top Ten Birding sites ( all while I'll be kicked back in my recliner, far away from any questions or technical glitches) :heehee:.
 
That is really cool! I am trying to get my husband into birding, thinking that it is a hobby we can take into our retirement. There are so many exotic-looking birds at the Canaveral National Seashore estuary, and I want to know their names. Figure if I can outfit a comfy kayak for him and pack a delicious picnic, I will be halfway to convincing him. You must be quite the expert.
 
@Slainte you live in a great area for birding.

You will meet some really nice people in the birding community. I love the hobby as it is a wonderful reason to travel and be outside. I love the outdoors and look for reasons to get out of the house. Here's a link to a good field guide


https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Field-Guide-America/dp/1426208286/?tag=ate362da-20

There are some nice apps as well.

I'm not an expert birder, but I do know how to photograph birds and put together a power point. :yes:
 
@wings you are doing sooo well!! No need to rush getting out of a chair without using your arms, especially since you are having surgery on your other knee soon. Making that knee do too much before surgery will only aggravate it further. I have been babying my non TKR knee since the first day of my TKR. Gotta keep it happy until my new knee is 100%.

So sorry to hear about your brother in law, so very sad. Wishing him and your family strength and peace to get through this difficult time.
 
@Slainte and @wings Wings is 100% right. You meet great people birding. You get outside. You get exercize, and it teaches you how to really appreciate the natural world. Florida has such great birds, Slainte. And seeing them by kayak is fun! My 11-year-old grandson and I are doing a big year, competing with each other. We both together got the snail kite and crested caracara in Florida in June. Too bad you missed the chance to present to the surgeons, Wings. Kind of ironic.
 
Okay, here I am 5 weeks post LTKR and I'm much farther along than I imagined I would be. PT measured flexion at 122. I rode the stationary recumbent for 10 minutes yesterday, at times hitting 40 rpms - still really slow and that's just fine. I still have significant swelling laterally.

I must say even though my recovery is going better than expected, I am so bored. I try hard not to be but I am. So I'm out five weeks from my left knee and will be having the right knee done on Nov 12. I need to get over being bored as I have a long way to go. It helps reading of others experiences here and chatting.

@Wanttobebiking, that's great that your grandson has joined you in doing a Big Year :yes:. I know you'll enjoy your Florida trip.

@bdink21 hats off to you on returning to work. I'm sure your patients are happy to see you.

@Slainte, you're moving right along. Both knees :yay:. I hope the early return to work is manageable.

@swmrgirl, you're doing so well:happydance:.

@Braunzie i see you're in the planning stages of another vacation. That's always fun. I've never been to the Carolinas, but I've been to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee - beautiful.

Hope all bonesmarties are having a great day!
 
Hi Wings, I too was totally bored at 5 weeks, and my body was sore from sitting and laying around. Hopefully you can do some fun things over the next three weeks before your second TKR. Now at 14 weeks, I am not bored at all. I'm having fun biking, swimming, seeing friends, and at the same time I am feeling overwhelmed with work and life because I am still recovering. All in all, though, it continues to get better. Be good to yourself the next three weeks and have some fun. Will send a swan migration photo next week.
 
Well today I will drive to PT - 20 minute drive.

Tomorrow will be a big day for me. Some friends are going to make the 50 mile trek to my house to take me to the annual birding gala. Afterwards I will get a ride to our beach house (90 miles from our house) where my husband will join me this weekend.

It will be wonderful to get out and see friends and I'm really looking forward to some time at the beach. My knee feels strong enough to handle all the stairs. Hopefully these activities will help chase the blues away.

Wanttobebiking, I'll be looking for some photos!
 
Wow you're doing really well, and it sounds Ike you have a lovely long weekend planned. Hope your spirits are lifted by the change of scenery.
 
@wings !!! I'm going to start calling you Superwoman!! I am SOOO happy you are making such good progress!!!:happydance: Can't wait to hear how your weekend goes!!

As far as vacation planning, I really wanted to go to TEXAS for our sibling trip this year, but I got outvoted.. :cry:I think my husband and I will have to make a trip there ourselves sometime.. It's definitely on my bucket list.. and now I know one more person who lives there!! :yes: For next year in June, who knows WHERE we will end up.. There is a bit of "swirl" happening now.. The good news is we have some time. :)
 
Hope you had a great time with your birding friends at the gala, @wings. A beach house sounds *wonderful* -- have a relaxing time.
 
Thought I would give an update.

The gala was wonderful! Fantastic to see friends. Were they ever shocked to see me walking across the grass with no aids and no limp. :). I've had a very smooth recovery for which I am very grateful. I did join the ODIC. 5 hours up was way too much and I was back on pain pills for a couple of days.

I could only spend one night at beach due to the weather forecast - and they were right for once. A lot of flooding, fierce wind and power outages. I did not get to spend as much time as I wanted but it was still great!

I had my six week checkup for my left knee yesterday and my preop for my right knee. The OS is thrilled. I do not have to followup on the left knee until I'm five years out. I then had all my lab work for the right knee.

I was released from PT yesterday! :yes!::happydance::yay:

130 flexion.

Two weeks and it will be the right knee. I'll be glad to have both surgeries behind me, but I'll admit it's a little difficult to know I'll be starting the recovery process all over again.
 
@wings so good to follow your thread today is two weeks before I start my first journey and you your second journey. Here is hoping we have a speedy recovery like your first one. I agree with @Braunzie you are super woman. I too have been exercising and walking as much as possible I feel good and healthy just a little nervous. Looking forward to being on the other side. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your brother in law, our family is also no stranger to cancer it sucks. :thumb::praying::SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom