Guest viewing is limited

TKR Approximate 2 year update

@wings, looks like your recovery is really flying high. glad for your good reports, wishing you continued progress and good health.
 
I love the Game Ready at the end of my PT sessions. I have a chilled water machine at home and love it, but the Game Ready is amazing!
 
@wings great report. You're doing very well. Keep doing what you're doing, it's working!
 
Thanks @bdink21. I was so worried about OP PT so soon, but they are so gentle. I love how I feel when I walk out of PT. My husband is amazed at how my gait changes walking out vs what it had been walking in. I know one of these days it will last for a longer time period.
 
Yes despite a few bumps in the road I noticed progress of some sort week by week whether it was just need for less pain meds or an increase in strength, or lol being able to stay awake all day. Im working on endurance now, back to work in 1 1/2 weeks yikes!
 
Yesterday was my first day home alone. I made it! A friend traveled 70 miles for a visit :SUNsmile:. I was able to do the ice changes myself and some little general pickup around the house. My ROM was 98 today. I was hoping for more. My therapist is like don't focus on the numbers, you're doing great. He says he could easily get a 105 measurement but he's being careful of the healing tissues. Did I ever luck out in the PT department! :yes!:.

My new knee is two weeks old today! I'm so thankful for my recovery so far and for the support and friendship on this site.

:flwrysmile:Hoping for a good day for all bonesmarties:flwrysmile:
 
That is great. Are you finding the 6 foot hose on the game ready is long enough. I am not sure whether to get 6 or 14 foot hose.
Are you using a cane, walker, or nothing to walk now.
 
Wings, congrats. you sound great! I had a PT with a similar attitude. She said she did not believe in pushing for ROM as long as I was making progress. Luckily I did. I cannot believe you did a bit of straightening up around the house your first day home. Good for you but don't overdo it. Getting ice and meals will be plenty. Again you sound great and I am happy for you that you got a good therapist. Good luck on the stationary bike.
 
@Texasez, the 6 foot hose is working out fine for me. I have the GameReady setup next to the recliner and the CPM is setup in my bed. I move from place to place. That works well for me as I can do my other exercises in the bed. I am sleeping in the recliner. I tried sleeping in the bed, but all that space makes me toss and turn. :heehee:

Regarding walking assistance, I have walked with no aids around the house, however my friend who visited yesterday is a physician and she gave me a warning about doing that so soon. For the past week my PT has been telling me to get rid of the walker. I have a cane and some Mobilegs crutches to graduate to. At this point I like using one Mobileg crutch better than using a cane. The PT says his goal for me is two weeks from now for my scar to be the only outside indicator that I've had knee replacement. Sounds like a lofty goal, but he has not encouraged anything that is pain producing only gentle stretches and mild strengthening.

I see my OS tomorrow and get his opinion on which walking aid to use.
 
My ROM was 98 today. I was hoping for more. My therapist is like don't focus on the numbers, you're doing great. He says he could easily get a 105 measurement but he's being careful of the healing tissues. Did I ever luck out in the PT department!
I like your therapist! Yes, you did get lucky.

For the past week my PT has been telling me to get rid of the walker. I have a cane and some Mobilegs crutches to graduate to. At this point I like using one Mobileg crutch better than using a cane. The PT says his goal for me is two weeks from now for my scar to be the only outside indicator that I've had knee replacement. Sounds like a lofty goal, but he has not encouraged anything that is pain producing only gentle stretches and mild strengthening.
There are no prizes for getting rid of walking aids early. Even if you manage to walk outside without a cane, at this early stage I think it's wise to take one with you. As you get tired, you could need its support.

Even when I no longer needed a cane for support, I would take it with me for several months (I kept it in the car). It was a visible signal to others that I might need a little consideration and it was very useful for warding off dogs :doggie: and rushing people.
 
I defiantly kept my cane to carry if nothing else. It comes in handy when your quads forget to fire, which can happen form time to time during earlier parts of recovery.
 
The PT says his goal for me is two weeks from now for my scar to be the only outside indicator that I've had knee replacement.
-

That indeed, is a pretty lofty goal. Even now (at 11 weeks), I walk (often) with a bit of a limp and MUCH slower than my previous knee-issue-free self.... Getting up and walking (hobbling) the first few steps is another indicator of my knee replacement. You're doing GREAT.. but do "great" at your own pace! :wink:

I preferred the crutch over the cane too.. I found the cane got in the way more than it really provided me a sense of stability. .... While I've been walking around the house for a number of weeks now without any assistance, it's really only been the last 3 or so that I have ventured out in public without any.... My PT wanted me walking without assistance a lot sooner as well.. but it's really about how comfortable you feel.

There are no prizes for getting rid of walking aids early.

Celle is a wise lady.. :yes:
 
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:


Celle, wberry, Braunzie, Thanks for the replies which echo the message of my friend the doctor. We live in such a fast paced society it would be so very easy to get knocked off balance. I think I'll be a defiant one as well and continue to use an aid, especially since I will be doing the RTKR in 5-6 weeks.

@Celle you're so right. There is no prize in doing without walking aids. My prize will be healthy knees somewhere down the line, I don't need to jeopardize that.
 
OS says he's thrilled with results and my progress. There was some increased swelling following PT on Monday. OS said tell PT to back off.:heehee: This is probably very appropriate timing since he removed stitches today and PT has been waiting for those stitches to come out to get more aggressive.

RTKR scheduled for November 12. It will be back to back, but I'm ready for healthy knees.

By the way, it did not bother OS that I was using walker.
 
Regarding walking assistance, I have walked with no aids around the house, however my friend who visited yesterday is a physician and she gave me a warning about doing that so soon.

I was encouraged to wean from walking aids, and stopped using any at 9 days.
 
OS says he's thrilled with results and my progress. There was some increased swelling following PT on Monday. OS said tell PT to back off.:heehee: This is probably very appropriate timing since he removed stitches today and PT has been waiting for those stitches to come out to get more aggressive.
I love your OS!
 
My stitches came out yesterday.

PT has gone great for me except for one thing. A couple of days ago they put me on weight press machine. They earned my trust over two weeks, so I did not pay attention to the poundage. When I got off the machine, I saw it was set to 105 pounds. Some pain,swelling followed. I talked with my OS yesterday and he said have them back off and maybe 20-25 pounds. So I did 20 pounds yesterday.

Wishing a good day for all bone smarties.:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom