Guest viewing is limited

TKR Approximate 2 year update

@wings, I am so thrilled to find your recovery thread and to see that you are doing so well! You give me hope that this is a manageable surgery.
By it's nature, this forum gets more problem posts than successes. I am 7 weeks out, off pain meds 3 weeks, walking without pain, up, down stairs. driving since 2 weeks post op. It is very likely you will have a good recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@wings - Wow, I'm impressed at how well you're doing - that's great!! :)

I wanted to ask if any of you had the tourniquet on thigh during surgery? I have some fears about them using that, but read that's its standard across most TKR's. Also, the spinal anesthesia - both make me nervous
I think the tourniquet on thigh is necessary unless you want to bleed to death! :) The spinal block is nothing to fear, peice of cake. It's not like a spinal tap where they leave a line in, just one shot and it's done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Annie11. I'm sure they used a tourniquet on my thigh, but there is no evidence of it. I did not have spinal but general anesthesia. I think it's very normal to be nervous during this pre-op time. I spent a lot of time and energy doing things in pre-op period to keep me busy - a mixture of household maintenance and "nest building". Most of what I did was not necessary but it made me an early participant in my recovery. I spent time sitting in my recovery area, looking around, checking for anything that I could enhance. I replaced room fresheners, had windows cleaned. You get the idea - things not necessary but these little things kept me busy. I spent a lot of time reading on this forum and joining in conversations so there would be a sense of familiarity. This is a wonderful supportive group.
 
Houston we have a problem. :heehee:

Okay you know the saying for steps: up with the good; down with the bad. It doesn't work for me.

For me, my operative knee is my good knee. So I repeat the little mantra in my head and use the wrong leg:doh:.

I'm working on it, which makes me really slow and thoughtful with steps. :wink:
 
My therapist is like don't focus on the numbers, you're doing great. He says he could easily get a 105 measurement but he's being careful of the healing tissues.
:thumb:
 
@metalheart, glad you found my thread. I'm so happy to be on this side of first knee surgery.

@Braunzie, thanks for thinking of me. I am doing very well. Just got home fro PT where flexion was measured at 110. PT is pleased with my gait.

I've been away from the board for a day, so I have a lot of catching up to do!
 
Thanks @Braunzie. I'm following your thread and work reentry with interest. Glad it's been :thumb::thumb: for reentry!
 
Thanks @wberry!!!

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers today. I along with all your friends here on bonesmart are cheering you on! Can't wait to see your recovery posts! :flwrysmile:

In the meantime, I'll be sitting around here - chilling :ice:

​
 
Today is 3 weeks post op.

Wanted to share an experience from a couple of weeks ago.

I'm in PT, doing some ankle pumps when I look over at a young man doing heel slides. He was putting his all into it - complete with sweaty brow and painful grimace. I sat there thinking I really need to try harder; I'm being such a slacker -- look at all the effort he's putting into this. I was feeling real guilty. My therapist came over and I said, you know I'm concerned that I seem to be stuck 95 one day, 95 the next session, then a 98 today - I just don't seem to be progressing. He replied that I was doing great. Then he went over to measure the young man and he measured.... 85. What? It looked like so much more.

I know we are not supposed to compare ourselves to others, but I share this story to support the mantra of not pushing yourself to pain. I thought just based on that young mans efforts, I was sure he would be 110 or so.

I've been very fortunate in my recovery. It is a little hard to write of my easy recovery when others face challenges. However, I feel it is important the easy recoveries are shared as well, so future TKR candidates are aware that possibility exists.

Thanks for listening!

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Wings, I agree. I too feel my recovery has been smooth—at least after the first two weeks, which were tough. I think people need to hear the good and the bad of recovery. I too have been lucky. My PT said, "As long as you are progressing, I don't believe in manual manipulation." In other words, she didn't believe in pushing on my knee to gain ROM. And I was lucky, the ROM exercises I did at home and the fact that I never had much swelling to begin with (which I attribute to my surgeon's skill and my body's response) let me progress. My ROM now at 12 weeks is 130-0. I am happy with that, but my goal if I can get there is 135. I measured my husband's non-TKR knees last night, and he's about 125, so I have surpassed him. My non-TKR knee is about 134, which is why I will continue to hope for more in my TKR knee.

So glad you are doing well. I think it will make going into the next TKR so much easier emotionally. Congrats!
 
Glad you are doing well! It's a pleasure to read about positive recovery! My PT is of same mind set as yours and he KNOWS I will holler loudly if he hurts me and scare off the rest of his patients! :rotfl: Only in the
South could you holler in PT!
 
Need opinions.

PT wants me to remove my bandage. I'm 3 weeks postop, with stitches removed a week ago. The only time I put the bandage on is when I go to PT. the reason I make sure to bandage the scar is the ice pads at the end of my appt go directly on the incision - from pt to pt with no cleaning in between. I'm not comfortable with that.

So am my being over protective of my baby? :what:

I've got several options:

A. Be defiant and continue to wear the bandage.
B. Take the bandage and put it on before ice therapy
C. Skip the ice therapy
D. Get over it.

A,b or c would probably require an explanation.

I really don't like the idea of the ice pads not being cleaned. I don't think they are being lazy, I think the material probably makes between patient cleaning impossible. They wipe down the tables.

What do you suggest?
 
It's your knee and only you have the right to say what will happen to it.
No, I don't think you're being over-protective. I think you're being quite reasonable and very sensible.

Tell your PT exactly why you put the bandage on before PT. (He/she may not realise you only wear it to come to PT.)
It's not being defiant, because you don't have to obey. All the therapist can do is advise you - and you can advise him/her that the current practice is not acceptable.
Apart from the potential for cross-infection, they should always put something between your skin and the ice pack, to prevent "freezer burn".
 
I agree with Celle! My PT folks put the gel pack in a pillow case before putting it on my knee. You might even take a pillow case from home to protect the incision from " freezer burn" ( as well as other things).
 
Hi @wings. Just looking at your thread for the first time. Had my surgery 1 day before you. My story is a lot different but my ROM is the same. It's exciting and inspiring to hear how well,you're doing. Reminds me that while each of us is so different hopefully in the end we all get to the same place, life lived as we want to. Keep up the great work !:wow:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom