Guest viewing is limited

TKR Approximate 2 year update

I hope all went well. I'll be looking for your posts. Welcome to the other side!
 
A tale of two w's used by my OS

:happydance::happydance:
First w was a wow as he looked and flexed 8 week old left knee. I got to hear that WOW and 'lets go do it again.'



:what::what::what:
Second w was wacky knee - spoken to my husband post operatively. I knew my knees were wacky presurg and thought that was the reference. I did not think much of it initially as things were going similarly to first knee. Already did my first PT, walked around room with walker, on CPM machine. No concerns until I looked at knee alignment-- I've been concerned since then. My knee is not in straight alignment, but still angled laterally as it was presurg. The other knee was straightened during replacement, this knee might be angled more than it was preop.

I think the wacky is referring to my postop knee :thud:

I'm fighting anxiety until I can see doctor in 5 or 6 hours. This surgery was significantly longer and the bandaging is different. The pacifying thought I have is -- I have a fantastic surgeon, I'm certain he would do the best he could. Hoping and praying that after recovery, my knee replacement will be better than preop knee.

Hoping, praying this is only cosmetic and that I will not have functional difficulties.:prayer:

I appreciate any prayers. Will update after speaking to OS.
 
Saw OS.

Not a normal knee replacement. OS will be following closely. My femur is rotated, probably congenital and this rotation is what's causing the lower leg to be angled laterally. There is no correction that can be made with the knee replacement. They went for maximum stability. This explains my frequent falling and the joint degeneration.

I'm adjusting my expectations.
 
WOW indeed. Will keep fingers and toes crossed that you'll be able to get around better than before. I'm thinking that working closely with a PT on gait and balance once you're past the first couple of months of TKR recovery might keep you from those nasty oopsey-daisy moments.

When you're up to it you might want to add this TKR to your tagline. That'll help newbies who come across your posts in the future.
 
Not a normal knee replacement. OS will be following closely. My femur is rotated, probably congenital and this rotation is what's causing the lower leg to be angled laterally. There is no correction that can be made with the knee replacement. They went for maximum stability. This explains my frequent falling and the joint degeneration.

I'm adjusting my expectations.
Welcome to recovery - again!

When you have time, please will you add your Right TKR to your signature?
Would you like your thread title altered now? Just say what you would like and it shall be done.

I'm sorry to hear that your leg couldn't be angled correctly, but it seems your surgeon has his eye on it.

I know you already had them but I'll give you a repeat of the recovery reading list, so it's closer to your current recovery.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @wings so glad to see you on the other side praying that you will have the same recovery as your first known. Sorry to hear about the alignment but as you said you have a great surgeon so praying for the best outcome. I made it to the other side I am resting comfortably. Had two pt sessions already. All well with me I too have a great surgeon. Take care ☺️☺️
 
Praying for the best for your "wacky" knee. I trust your surgeon has done the best possible for you. May your recovery be uneventful.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hoping the knee gives you the freedom of pain you need for daily life.
 
Thanks so much.

So far so good. I've been up walking, completed my exercises. At this time, the obvious is seeing the misalignment due to rotation of femur(congenital). I'm attaching a photo. This is my right knee. If I did not know better, I would think it the left. I was expecting a straight alignment as accomplished on the left, but this is how my knee was and remains. The OS and PA said stability should be better than pre-op.

I'm trusting that all steps were taken to ascertain the correct spacer to give me appropriate length. No problems walking or with any exercises.

Thanks for your support, hugs and prayers.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Approximate 2 year update
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 239
I agree Slainte, not perfect but better. It seems we both have anatomical variants causing less than best. Im guessing a hip evaluation is in my future. I'm hoping biking is still fun for me. If it is cycling will be a major part of my activity program.

I have a fat tire bike picked out as a knee celebration gift.
This orange/white photo is my beach bike currently I use at beach. [Bonesmart.org] Approximate 2 year update


The teal/white one will be for use near our home. [Bonesmart.org] Approximate 2 year update [Bonesmart.org] Approximate 2 year update

The teal/white has a 4 inch wide tire, should be a very smooth ride.


For those who love pink [Bonesmart.org] Approximate 2 year update

I hope the thumbnails are not a problem to anyone.
 
Are the fat tire bikes easier to ride or give a better ride? I'd like to get a new outside bike to ride in good weather.
 
I am not familiar with fat tire bikes at all - they are only used at the beach here. What are the advantages and do you just ride on the road or trails?
 
I'm not a bike expert but my experience has been the fat tire bikes are more stable, so easier for me to balance. The ride is extremely smooth ( hard to feel bumps in the road). I like my stationary recumbent for rainy days and rehab - but for me, I love feeling the wind on my face ( I'm visualizing the happy faces of dogs hanging out car windows with their faces turned to catch the wind)

I have an overly protective husband, so it's an easier sell on a fat tire bike.
 
I love to ride outside, but my fear of falling has kept me on the recumbent. Maybe in the spring I'll try a fat tire bike.
 
Karri, I was very cautious when I went for a short ride before this surgery. The tires on the white/orange bicycle in photos are 3 inches wide. The white/teal tires are 4 inches wide and will be a recovery present to myself. I hope to be riding in January in Houston, so ice/snow is not a factor.
 
I'm sorry about your leg alignment issue. I had a right valgus deformity pre-op and was cycling on it. When you're ready to ride again, a podiatrist can fit your right shoe with a wedge so that you'll make good contact with the bike pedal, or the pedal itself can be shimmed. Pretty bikes!
 
I have an old 3-speed beach bike in my garage that I plan to haul in for refurbishment. I like fat tires too. Not planning on speed or long distances. Just want to pedal around my very flat Florida neighborhood. If it costs more to fluff it up than to buy a new one, research will ensue about types and brands and costs.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom