Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chortle @Andy I do similar.
Just finished work and the long walk home. Re nerve and possible damage there is a test that can be done where zaps are sent down nerves and its registered if it gets thru. It is the Neurophysiology Assessment. I was told yup nerves damaged to calf and foot. The consultant told me that nerves more often do repair9 themselves but it can be v slow. It can take upto and over a year. I take pregabalin which is like a more effective gabadooodahs and wayyyy more expensive hence its not offered first.
Re pain in a box that's just my term. I do the controlled breathing and then concentrate on pains fluctuation which I then see as the sea. Big pain is the sea raging and crashing on the rocks. Now I like the sea especialy big storms. It was during a megga storm I got my pic on front page of the Scotsman, big paper here. Anyway that's another story. So as any storm after high tide the tide retreats, it may be stormy and turbulent but its force diminishes. My pain can reduce with the storm its still there but not as bad.
Rant away to your hearts content lass and being the hugaholic I am there is always a hug for you.
Hope breckie was good.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh Andy, what a hoot! And like Legin, I also can put on an act when the need arises! When I saw my GP about my neuropathy, she put her hand to my knee and pronounced it 'didn't feel that hot' so I dissolved into tears and told her she should 'be on this side as it feels like I have a gremlin in there with a blow torch'! Then she took me seriously!

Speaking of which, have you yet been to your GP about this?

The consultant told me that nerves more often do repair9 themselves but it can be v slow. It can take up to and over a year.
Actually, it can take even longer than that. If you read my report on the 'numb knee' Numb area after TKR: how long will it last? you will see that it took my saphenous nerve all 5 years to recover but recover it has though I should point out that I had no neuropathy with it.

I also had a rather large lump removed from my forearm which was wrapped around the radial nerve which supplies the thumb side of the hand. Inevitably the nerve took a bit of a walloping during the surgery and left me with some really unpleasant numbness and intense tingly reaction when I touch or rub it (washing and drying are the pits!). That was 18 months ago and though the numbness has abated some, the tingly reaction to touch is just as intense. My surgeon tried to cheer me up by pointing out it could take years to correct itself or it could even be permanent! Yeah, thanks for that, Les! :skep:
 
Oh @AndyH99, what a wonderful story and perfect way to deal with bullies. When you react with a soft voice and smile, it usually does one of two things....the bully either calms down or retreats, without a word more (because they don't know how to respond to sweetness) and returns to where they came from. Either way, it usually is a win/win. But, of course, there are the bi-polar sorts that keep on ranting and bullying...and those types are just hopeless. But I am a firm believer in karma and she will get hers, eventually. In the meantime @Suzette, keep your chin up. If all else fails, walk away and get some fresh air while she is having one of her fits. I have a question, though. Is there no work harassment laws where you are?
BTW...I had a massage last week and it did wonders for all my little residual aches and pains. Walked out feeling like jello! So, Suzette, I highly recommend them. Hope you had a good day today and are now resting with your feet propped up and a nice chilled glass of wine. :)
 
Hi haven't checked in for what feels like ages! Ooh yes I had a full English fry up lovely mmmmm. And in the hotel they had vintage stuff for sale, I didn't buy clothes I bought a vintage bacolite bush radio from the 50/60, and it works. Mind you it wont when they turn analogue radio off, which is sad.

@AndyH99 @Nana757 and @Legin ...I may well try that tactic. I have tried the keeping my head down, sticking up for my self, others sticking up for me, but not the sweet nicey thing...with a smile...I am going to practice that.....and the storm thing ...

I do seriously think there is a medical condition going on too...

We do have bullying and harassment laws, I have to meet with the managing director and HR to discuss.....Trouble is, it's the managing director who is the doing the bullying and The hirer and firer....the other option is to bring in an outside agency to tackle it. But the hirer and firer is very good at creating reasons for redundancies ! that may be tricky to do that at the moment as she has just got rid of one person and 2 others have left. Leaving 4 of us in the office and 4 out in the field, so to speak. That's why I have been out for the last 4 days staying in hotels and driving loads. I can't even drink a glass of wine, I have tried this week, but since last November, I suddenly can't drink, so depressing. But did loose 1.5 stones in weight though. I would also like to go out for fresh air....she smokes so follows you out. Honestly there is nowhere to go to escape other than the loo!

Back in the office tomorrow, she has day off...... yippee

@Cynthia777 thank you for your double prayers x

@Dashinghippie yes same place as mine, plus it now goes into groin as a burn and down my leg as a throb and burn and a sting. Today I got cramp in my outer hip and thigh, that really caused a problem driving, luckily I had someone to do the driving for a change. Sitting really does cause the pain to increase whereas standing seems to help. Am sure the scars are pressing on something when seated.

@Josephine , yes I have seen 2 drs and the OS twice....OS just says everything is great, 1 Dr gave me ibuprofen gel and said I don't need physio or chiropractor help. The other Dr was better at listening, made no diagnosis, but did give me loads of different pain meds. Most I can't take due to new drug driving laws. ...and boss making me drive half way round the country.

I have booked another appt with a different GP to see what he comes up with. I may well try the tears to trigger some sort of reaction. Will also read your link. It sure is becoming a nightmare of frustration on top of the constant hassle at work.

I went to chiropractor and had deep muscle massage, I agree @Nana757 it does really help. Haven't tried a normal type massage yet.

So had the gabapentin, just 300mg, which @Legin doesn't seem to do a lot other than make me drowsy. Maybe the will now give me pregabalin.

You know, putting things in perspective, in my own head so I can move my self in a forward direction instead of focusing on the cow and the pain...there's always someone worse off.......

pain freer night and sleep everyone x

ps @copsham hope you are ok x
 
@Suzette Does the medical powers that be in your country offer up any of the pain control centers that help with chronic pain?
Also, have you had an MRI or any other testing to determine the condition of your lower spine?
Surely there are things to help with the pain that can also keep you in a drivable state!
I'm so sorry you have to manage through both the pain issues and "the cow" at work.
It's too much...
One more day and then you have a weekend to rest up! And she isn't at work tomorrow! There's a small respite..

Good luck!
 
So a quiet few days then.,...

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Hi @CricketHip so far none of the GP'S or OS have offered any testing on the thigh hip pain, whether MRI or nerve testing. I have had the MRI on my back, so I already know the problems going on there, 2 prolapsed discs that have now shrivelled up leaving the veterbra bone on bone causing stenosis and squashed nerves. I had nerve block and epidurals this time last year, it was the spinal surgeon that discovered the hip problems. So he had to discharge me so the hips could get sorted, as the pain from back and hips were similar, so he couldn't tell if the nerve block had worked for my back.

Besides being stiff and aching my back is behaving quite well with very little sciatica pain in my left leg. So having the sciatic pain in the right leg, down the back from the piriformis and down the front, probably from the femoral nerve, is driving me mad. Not helped as no one medical is taking any notice.

So I am hoping the next gp listens and does something really helpful such as setting up tests and as you mention, seeing someone in the chronic pain clinic.

Am looking forward to the respite and @Legin , peace and quiet

x
 
I am sorry, I think I remember reading that early on in your notes.. I was the same, back issues hid the hip issues.. I just have had several problems with my back and it can refer pain to the upper hips and legs, which I am sure you are familiar with. I wish you could find a specialist that will put the 2 together. like that old song about the bones..
hey, you made it through he 100 mile drive! That's a plus!!
 
Oh poor you.
I was pretty much simillar, masses of pain and no one wanted to give a diagnosis. Eventually I wrote down my daily routine and how my mobility was impaired and also psychologically of never having more than an hour or so without pain. I booked an appointment and presented the paper to the Dr and said I want this placed in my medical records. Dr promised then that he would refer me to the Chronic Pain Clinic. There will be pain forums and groups I know there is one in Perth bit without a car I can't get to it but they give good advise and tips.
Re Fagenesque employer. You are right to hold.meetings and the bottom line is if they did fire you you would have a huge case for Tribunal. Its not fair that you are going thru this, bit often the nice people are the ones picked on but I firmly believe what goes around comes around. So I'm sure and hope that good times come your way soon lass you so deserve to have a break. I hope you have a truly restful and less pain for the weekend.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just catching up with you wondering if you are managing to sleep any better these days despite your other woes.
Take care xx
 
I am not sure about the time differences but I am betting that you are off work and officially enjoying the beginnings of the weekend? Happy Friday!
 
Hiya everyone... @Legin I will do that I will keep a little note book on me and plot what I am doing, ie standing sitting walking etc and the log the pain...never thought of that. .ta

@forestje still having trouble getting to sleep, ok , well sort of, once I do get off, it's the beginning bit I have trouble with...mmmmm that's the bit you need !! How are you doing?

@CricketHip yes its 10.45 pm here, happy Friday to you too, I am not sure what the time difference is either !! I am lounging about.....looking for jobs and getting an idea of what's out there.

had chat with HR lady, but need to be bit careful as she is bosses friend who now gets car allowance, but is fairly good at hr stuff. She said I do need to stand up to boss and tell her straight about the nastiness that is aimed at me and noted by all, trouble is I am not exactly the confrontational type ...so fingers crossed on the job hunting.

Pain not too bad today, so does that fit with boss not in less stress less pain?

Did a bit of cross trainer tonight , realised I am not very fit and not totally sure why....:heehee: ! gradual build up required I think .

have a lovely weekend everyone xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stress is an all too unfortunate chanel for pain and let's pain bloom by the mere fact we are tense making muscles stiff and thus grumbling at movement. Anyway tiz the weekend so nae down talk have the best weekend plenty of rest and laughter prescribed.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin too true...and i managed 7 hours sleep..yippee

Have job aplication to do too. A trip to pub to plan what to say in application with a bit of steak, medium rare and chips and half pint real ale....thats today sorted x
 
Well over the last 2 days I had a mixed grill and a pint of real ale at Wetherspoons , which made me sleep for 2 hours, then I filled in an NHS job application. It may well have already gone internally, so they are just following law to advertise externally, but I have done it and sent it.

Just hope now they do not inform my present job boss person, not sure if ever mentioned it, she own's the company, so nothing is going to change anytime soon. The job I applied for is only a year contract...the awkward bit is that it is for the job that I am being seconded to do for 2 odd months, whilst at present job, until it seems, they get a full time person for a year to complete the project.

Fingers crossed that this attempt to leave doesn't cause me any more hassle at work. Think positive Dawn...

Anyway, my thigh pain has been loads better the last few days, to near none existant, oh no, just realised that may be because I am not at work. Although I am also hoping it is because I upped the dose of gabapentin at night to 600 mg. I still have that blinking piriformis ache constantly. I am going to discuss all this with GP Thursday.

I am going to attempt sleep and try for at least 6 hours.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend xx
 
The beer sounded soo good tut. I'm glad the weekend was a grand one for you. If you have told the place your applying to not chase references till after interview they cannot do so. I know its a worry but if you don't apply for other jobs you can never get away. My wiffff was in the same predicament she would shake before going into work it took every bone in my body not to ring her work place and point out a fee things which would include the care commission. Anyway she did get out and is a different person. Oh and has had two pay rises in six.months as she is now appreciated. Sundays before she would get quieter as the return to work drew near now, well all normal and the chatterbox she was before. So like her you know you need to move on.
Hope you slept well

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin its terrible to be in that situation where you shake. Does wiffff work in care?

I just get depressed and anxious about what might happen once I get to the office. I actually spoke to her today about the thing she humiliated me about at the team meeting, as I was still unsure what I was supposed to be doing so had to discuss it...I did stick up for myself when she started again and pointed out that the thing she was slagging me off for was actually her idea, not mine. She was the usual defensive self..... 10 mins later she was being pleasant....just weird.

I did spent most of the day a bit tense because of the job application. I said no to them about contacting her until after an interview, if lucky enough to get one.
But the 2nd reference I said they could, then realised last boss knew this boss. ..so my imagination went riot.

Anyway, i am so glad your wifff moved on and has had 2 pay rises too. That is excellent.

Good with pain today too, as in I had bery lottle.... until I thought, 'I have had very little pain today...' within 10 mins I had stinging pain in the thigh... I mean, how's that..did I have it already and didnt notice or did i sub consciously trigger it by thinking. ..!!! Will not think again, seems dangerous!!

Well I hope you got a weekend off??

Xx
 
Nope still no weekend off. Colleague I'll so I covered. Wiff was in care and a scheduler. Pain is about mental state. There have been some good studies. Its how I deal with pain. On my 2 mile walk home I divert my mind, sometimes singing tho recently I have been mentally writing that book we all want to write. Hope your pain is better well less mega hugs

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom