THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

@Thesoutherncook so nice to hear we are a day apart. My goal was to go for a 20 min walk today and I actually lost track of time and walked for 36 minutes. Not too wiped out today and making sure I ice and elevate. I actually accomplished a few things today. I start PT next week so we will see what they say. I look forward to the day I can get back on a bike and ride.

Looking forward to wearing tennis shoes again when I can tie them. With anterior I can semi-squat but pulling up my leg to tie my shoes is coming soon, I hope. I drove yesterday and felt very comfortable and free. Haha, it's nice to be somewhat independent. Doing a few more things around the house like cleaning up after dinner and folding some laundry. Feels good to do some of the simple things. Going out to walk some other great views here in Marin County, CA and walk today. I am grateful for all.of you and it's nice to have the support and encouragement from all of you. Looking forward to the day I can ditch the cane.

Happy Saturday to you!
I'll bet you ditch the cane soon. You're doing great.

Each milestone leading toward independence feels wonderful.
I always say THR makes us realize all we took for granted before our hip deteriorated. It feels good to once again have a grateful heart in the little things.

Marin County is beautiful. I hope your day is also!
@rheerios

Happy Friday @rheerios
I've heard if you're not cleared to drive by your doc and there's an accident, there could be insurance issues.
Anyone else hear that? I'd recommend you check with your OS to be safe.
Also consider a practice run in your neighborhood, or a parking lot, to make sure you're comfortable hitting the brake and all, before you head out into traffic :driver: sounds silly but many of us have done this, it's discussed often.

Hope you have a great weekend!

It's odd how people who had the same surgery have different recoveries. I have been able to tie my shoes since the second week but i'm almost at 7 weeks and if I walk more than 10 minutes I get a lot of pain while you can't tie your shoes but can walk more than 3x as much as me. I assume you are using one cane as I am. Weird.

Driving has been pretty easy. I feel very comfortable and confident, but haven't gone on freeway yet. I don't know if I am just being too cautious and don't want to push it with tying my shoes. I will ask PT next week. Just using one cane and walking is really helping me. I did .91 of a mile in 30 minutes vs. half a mile yesterday in 36 minutes. It is interesting how we all recover differently and listening to my body is very important. I am looking forward to hiking the beautiful hills of Marin soon.

At week 3 now the mesh tape.and skin glue is starting to come off and my incision looks gross and a little painful today so I am icing it more. I.keeo showing it to my Mom who.is my caregiver and she thinks it looks good. I do.my best in keeping it clean, never touch it before.i wash my hands and I shower every other day. Haha when I had my back.surgery in 2014 I couldn't see my incision heal so that may have been a good thing. Not all mesh strips and skin glue has come off yet so wondering what things I need to look for that would show signs of infection? I am probably getting nervous for no reason and haven't read much about signs of infection or the healing of the incision. Thanks!

Hi @rheerios.. so good to see you are doing well.

It just fascinates me the different protocols which OS’s impose. Mine has a regimental type regime, which begins the day before surgery (yes, he insists that you be admitted the night before). He is obsessive about preventing infection, so one of the rules is do not change the dressing yourself.

Upon discharge, the ward sister changes your dressing. Its totally waterproof, and you are instructed not to mess with it. I was given a spare, with instructions to come back to the ward to have it replaced, but only if it becomes dislodged or leaky. At 3 weeks its changed by the nurse, and you are told not to take it off for 10 days.

I have not taken my second dressing off yet, so even though I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow, I still haven’t got any real idea how my incision looks.

@Harryn1 thanks for your reply. I saw my OS one week post op, they took bandage off and put a light gauze on it for my ride home. OS told me I can take off when I get home and I did not have to continue to put bandage or dressing on, but to keep.it clean and dry. I see him on 7/19 again.

I also was glued together! And very thankful NOT to have staples! My PT looked at my incision at 5 days out. The glue has now come off and the incision is healing nicely but is a little tender. My PT said to gently massage the incision. I will see the PA at 6 wks. It is very interesting to read how different the protocols are from country to country ( and locally from OS to OS).

The glue has now come off and the incision is healing nicely but is a little tender. My PT said to gently massage the incision.
I agree the varying protocols are interesting...also varying from OS to PT.
My surgeon basically said leave my incision alone...
PT suggested massage...but it was already tender..I figured the massage was just aggravating something that was already aggravated and trying to get well.
Don't think it will hurt it...but I do think PTs tend to think all can be cured by some activity...and we, as good patients, want to DO something to make things heal right.
Truth is, in many instances, time and or own bodies healing mechanisms are what's going to get us fixed up...

Hi all

Been in a bit of a slump the last few days. I guess I had unrealistic expectations regarding the surgery and didn't realize how long it would take to heal. Tomorrow is Week 4 and the last two days I have been a bit depressed and ticked that it's taking awhile to get back to my perky self. I did go out with my son yesterday so that was great. I guess I didn't ask some of the important questions about recovery and was comparing it to my microdiscetomy in 2014 which was a lot easier. I did have anterior so grateful for that because the recovery and restrictions are better. Glad all of you are here for support and if I post too much it's just because I know all of you can relate.

On a positive note even though I already am driving my OS called today to say all clear for driving. Woo hoo! I also woke up and I am able to walk pretty well unassisted. Cheers to baby steps.

I am self employed so no work,no pay and funds are running out. I won't push myself too much, but I do need to work. I am attempting to work about 3-5 hours this week and keep icing and elevating because that is very helpful. I think I need to read more instead of watching Netflix because that doesn't really lift my spirits.

Thanks for being a great outlet and I know this too shall pass and I will be hiking and biking soon.

It's the one month WALL. :headbang:
Many have hit it or at some point feel we have stagnated in or recovery.
Ebb and flow...the hippy dance!
Lots of improvement...seeming setbacks...post op blues and energy drain as we move forward.
All normal :yes:and also normal to want to compare with the best of the recoveries we hear of.
Your body will dictate what it is ready to do when.
Try not to stay in a funk...this too WILL pass.
Hope tomorrow is a Good Day @rheerios

Unrealistic expectations? I think we've all been there. This surgery just keeps on squashing expectations until someday I hope it doesn't. I've been in the self employed group in the past and glad I wasn't for this surgery. I had knee surgery about 18 years ago and was lucky as it was right before a 3 day weekend so I could go back to work on the Tuesday.

I got out a little more yesterday after OS said I could drive. The song "Freebird" came to mind as I was cruising on the freeway. Today starts PT so will let all of you know how it goes later.

After reading some threads I saw that some are using stationary bike at gym. Is that ok to do before six weeks post op? Since it's been so hot here wondering if I could go to gym to use that or treadmill as long as I don't over do it?

My balance is going to need some work and each day gets better. I am going to head into office today for a few hours. I have less distractions then here at home so hoping it will be very productive.

I see the recommendation of icing 4x/day, and at the most I am able to do this 2x/day. I will work on elevating and icing more. In my opinion, my incision looks gross. Still have some mesh and skin glue that haven't come off on own so when it all comes off I will post my.badge of honor, lol

I really love BoneSmart and all of you are helping me so much in my recovery. Thanks

Hi @rheerios I used a stationary bike in my early recovery, starting at about 2 weeks after I saw my OS. I started with just a few minutes with no resistance and built up from there. I had surgery in December and couldn't get outside to do much walking (ice + snow) and the mall was too crowded with holiday shoppers. I didn't have any formal PT so I just kind of did what felt good to me and I have a bike at home. The hardest part was getting on it initially. I had a mini posterior and thought the seat might be uncomfortable, but it was fine. I used a treadmill a few times too, which helped me focus on my form while walking since I could use the handrails and concentrate on walking heel-toe.

@jaydub63 this is great to hear and I am not always able to get out and walk because it's been extremely hot here. I may just get to the gym this week, and take it slow.

Hi @rheerios
If you can only ice twice a day....make it count. Josephine recommends 40-60 minutes per session.

What helped for me with that residual tape was this - with a clean hand in the shower I'd slather some body wash on the area, leaving it there, then turn that side of my body away from the shower head while I washed my hair etc. It seemed it worked as a solvent of sorts and I even gently scratched some of the little pieces I could see.

Signs of infection you wondered about a few posts up -
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
A change in the odor of the discharge
A change in the size of the incision
Redness or hardness of the surrounding area
The incision is hot to the touch
Fever
Increasing or unusual pain
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the dressing

Sounds like you're doing really well. Keep it up.
Hope today is a good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back