Guest viewing is limited

THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

Thanks @Layla. When I had my back surgery they mentioned only icing for 20 minutes at a time, take a break for an hour then you can ice again for 20 minutes. My PT said yesterday that studies show that not very effective and the ice doesnt do much after the 20 minute point so to ice only for 20.minutes at.a time.
I have heard that from several others too. I did get an awesome ice pack yesterday so I am in heaven when I am icing. PT was very kind to me and I was just a tad sore, but it also could have been because I went to work for 5 hours yesterday. A few steps back, and a few steps forward all in one day. I do know my core is very weak, so as I get it stronger it will help me a lot with my strength. They taught me a lot of correct ways to do things and ensured me I didn't need to be afraid and I could tie my own shoes (a limitation I put on myself). No warrior pose on my right side forever but it doesn't mean I can't eventually do yoga.wjrn the time is right. They watched my gait and said I wasn't ready for life without my cane so me and my buddy are hanging out again. PT said I am doing great for 4 weeks and I have pretty good ROM for just having surgery. The best thing ever is I got on a stationery bike. Woo hoo. They said to only do 5 minutes and on the weekend I can increase to 10 minutes. I did a little over a 1/2 mile with the bike and I am cruising pretty fast walking with my friend. I am glad I went to PT so they were able to correct me with using my cane for now. The worse thing I want is to continue to walk with a limp by jumping the gun a bit early. He checked my incision and for the most part he said it looked good. He wants me to watch one section that is borderline so he took a photo and suggested I take a photo daily and if it changes to go to doctor. I have noted all the infection items above and will watch it. I don't have fever or nausea so I am hoping everything is fine. Needless to say I was very tired yesterday and slept a lot last night. It felt good to be out and I keep listening to my body. I still can't wear snug pants because my incision isn't all the way healed, so baggy shorts and skirts it is for me. The PT only gave me two additional exercises which seem pretty easy. I don't feel they are being too aggressive and since I have always been an active gal the short bike rides are welcomed. Yesterday was a good day and so far today seems right there too. Glad to be out of my funk for now.
 
Wow! Sounds like you're doing great! I totally agree on the bike thing - that's what I miss the most! And not to worry about posting too much - you're entertaining to read, and it's fun to read about someone else's recovery process.
 
Walking at large air conditioned stores is the best. A shopping cart is a great walker and it allows you to practice proper walking. I would park at the furthest cart corral that had a cart so I could walk it in and walk it right out to the car. Tip from my pre-op class was to use the disinfecting wipes every time on the carts, staph and MRSA are everywhere.
Tell your PT when they have their hip replaced to ice whenever they feel like. I'd say studies of people on this forum contradict the PT's studies.
 
@Eman85 I like that idea I am going to go shopping. I am sure the cart is the best way to maneuver around. I always have wiped my buggy done before using, amazing how many people dont.
 
@rherrios I did go back and read your post. I am also 55. I live in Pittsburgh Pa. Always wanted to see CA. Loved reading your post. Also my follow up with OS is 7/19 as well. Hippy twins.
 
@Yokesgirl happy to have you as my twin. I have had a few really great days. The PT exercises make me feel good because they get me more active again. Watching incision and all looks like it's healing well. Went to office yesterday and they had a building bbq so it was great to mix and mingle with others. Down to only one dose of Tylenol/day now. I do find with work it takes me longer to do things. Today, I am a bit lazy so will be getting a late start. Things are feeling a bit normal, which feels good. Still a lot of tightness, and my PT gave me a few stretches (some I was doing and they showed me how important core work is to protect my back). I was afraid to bend/squat to put on and tie shoes and they told me if it feels okay I don't have that limitation. I was wvwn able to do some floor exercises. Things are getting easier which makes me happy. I like the idea of the air conditioned mall walking. Have a great day everyone.
 
Happy Friday!
You're doing great. Happy to hear it. Jumping back into life.
Sounds like many are into the idea of AC mall walking. Hipsters Hobbling the Halls of the Mall, lol.
Hope you have a lovely weekend!
@rheerios
 
Thanks @Layla. I also chatted with a friend and putting things in place so I don't get into that funk and moody blues again. I am one that needs interaction, doing things and people. My Mom is happy all day in the house by herself. I can't do that and I get my energy by interaction with ppl so I am blocking some time to catch up with friends and colleagues since I have the time. This surgery has been a lesson that we really don't know what recovery will be like and it's okay, and taking care of myself is a priority. Baby steps are great, but being alone too much is a trigger point for me.
 
:wave:
My PT said yesterday that studies show that not very effective and the ice doesnt do much after the 20 minute point so to ice only for 20.minutes at.a time.

Don't know which study, but I did a 6 month study...and I disagree!:heehee::ice:
Glad you are doing well...hope your weekend is healing and happy!
 
Sitting on ice now, rheerios
I started icing a couple of years ago pre-surgery. If someone would have told me I'd be sitting on ice and in a warm chlorine pool (my arthritis exercise the past 3 years pre-op), I'd have told them "impossible!". But, these have been my lifesavers!

I will follow your progress and wish you a continued good recovery. I'm about a week ahead of you!
 
@luvsibes I will check out your thread. I notice you are in CA too. I live in Marin County, how about you?

Regarding ice, it's my friend too. There are just studies that say after 20 minutes it's best to take a break so that the blood can flow and allow more healing. Didn't mean to offend anyone just going with what many doctors have told me in the past with all my back problems over the years. We all have to do for ourselves whatever feels good.

Didn't get a nap in yesterday because I had a lot going on. I have been able to get to work a few hours last few days. It takes me a lot longer to do things, but each day gets better. Needless to say i was very tired last night. Incision is healing and I keep watching it for signs of infection. So far things look good.

My son was a rockstar yesterday. He noticed how tired I was and said."You're needy today, so what else can I do for you?" What a great guy. He waited on Mom last night and even gave up the last popsicle for me, haha.

Going to do a little stationery bike riding today. Hope everyone has a great day!
 
I don't think you've offended anyone, sweetie, so no worries.
To each his own. Do what you believe is best, or what works for you.
You will find enthusiastic icer's here because it worked for a lot of us. I'm one of them.

What I've seen of Marin Cty is beautiful. Lucky you!
Hope your weekend is good!
@rheerios
 
My son was a rockstar yesterday. He noticed how tired I was and said."You're needy today, so what else can I do for you?" What a great guy. He waited on Mom last night and even gave up the last popsicle for me, haha.

Aaawwww..
Don't you love it when they act like you raised them right!:tada:
 
Hi @rheerios I am in SoCal, Long Beach area, LA County. I'm glad your son is a support to you. I'm just a week ahead of you and also waiting for wound to fully heal. I have "glue" for the incision and the steri-strips are falling off a few each day to reveal a light scar. It's still a bit tender. I like to make gentle figure 8's over the area to move the energy. I was told not to put creams or oils or actual massage for another month so it can "cure". Then, I can do PT in a warm water pool.

It has gotten better each week. The first 3 weeks are a bit of a blur! I will follow you and your progress! Welcome fellow Cali friend!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@luvsibes I am in SoCal a lot when I am healthy. Same here on the strips and glue. It's tender which I hope means it's healing and on the road to recovery. I can't wait to do some swimming. It's been so hot here and it's hard to see everyone else enjoying pools and river rafting while I recover.
 
@Layla thank you. I do love ice too. @Mojo333 it's pretty cool when my kid shows some empathy. He's been awesome all day. The one-handed me (cane occupies my other hand) can't maneuver all the things I am used to. I am making sure I don't sit too long either because my hippy hipster is never happy when I do that.
 
What a day today. I started by going to church, then off to SF to the DeYoung Museum with a good friend, then dinner at an amazing restaurant. I thought I may have joined the ODIC, but I felt great. All the walking was really great for me. I have very little pain now and the only thing that bothers me is still all the numbness on the side of my hip and part of my thigh. Life will be grand when that is gone. I was cruising pretty well with my cane. I keep hoping I can get rid of it, but notice that it is still difficult when I start off on the operated side to get going without cane. Once I get going I am okay so me and my friend get to hang out more until I get stronger. Now, I am enjoying some ice and relaxation. Every day gets a little better which is awesome. I keep.visualizing the day I get to get back to hiking the hills of Marin County. Next up is to lose some weight because I know that will help a lot. Had my last supper tonight so tomorrow I will watch my intake and portions to release this extra weight.
 
What a lovely Sunday, rheerios! It does help to get out and socialize.

I find walking is the best thing and that's what all the experts seem to say as well. I put my fitbit back on and find I am averaging my old pre-surgery (and still walking) goal of 7000 steps. That was the pain threshold pre-op and before I quit walking along with hubby and dog. I'm surprised that my 2 walks each day and around the house, errands, etc. are adding up and with virtually no pain! I've lost another steri-strip! It's really just the wound area that feels a bit of pain still.

I cheering you on and it sounds like you are doing great!
 
@luvsibes yes walking is the best medicine. I know I have heard it here, but I guess I needed to push myself a little and see the results. I am with you, I get some pain from my incision and still need a little loose clothing around it. Time for me to dig out the fit bit too to see how much I am walking all day. Aside from staying up too late because the teen was out with my car at a concert (even though he is 18 I can't seem to go to.sleep until he is home) today is a good day.
 
Back
Top Bottom