Guest viewing is limited

THR Anterior Hip June 13 2018

I was surprised at how many steps I took this weekend without pain. I think since my steps are very small/shrt, maybe they add up more? I'm slow and steady but my gait is 100%+ better! Neighbors say I look taller (and some have said thinner but I"m up 5 lbs. ... I think the prosthesis weighs more than bone? That and the Ben &Jerry spree I was on!)

I have my first outpatient PT today. I believe she will do some soft tissue massage work. I hope so as my quads and low back are quite tight. I love massage and am waiting to be able to do pool therapy after 8/2 per my OS.

I look forward to hearing about your continued progress! Keep on steppin'!
 
I’m 55 years old and 4 weeks post op on my left hip (direct anterior approach). I started driving on week 3. Was nervous at first but my daughter help nudge me to try which was great as now I have some independence back and can drive myself to physio etc. Started walking 20 minutes a day, 20 minutes stationary bike with no resistance last week and just started swimming this week. Still doing the exercises prescribed by the hospital but only twice a day (supposed to do 3x per day but never did). I’m still using the cane when I first wake up or sit too long due to extreme stiffness but once I get moving I’m good without. Only meds I’m taking is one Tylenol 3 at bedtime or during the night if the pain sets in and nothing during the day (only take it if I need it). Days are good but still struggle to get comfortable during the night. I think I am where I should be in my recovery process but not entirely sure. I do struggle with some emotional moments and not sure why but they pass quickly. I read this is normal. All in all I can see light at the end of the tunnel but wish the recovery was a quicker process as I’m not the kind of girl who can sit around and watch TV.
 
@luvsibes I am with you. My walking is so much better and o was cruising kind of fast with the cane that PT told me to only use when I need it and of I experience any back or hip problems to is it as needed. Woo hoo cane is will decline every day. IIdonotice when I sit too long and get up I have to get situated and get my balance then I am cruising. Did a bunch of steps today and no longer one at a time. Today at my PT I felt like a million bucks and my old self had returned(for the day) and I know I will have good days and not so great .I will take today as a good day. Flexibility is really a lot better and we added a few exercises because I like to exercise. PT tested my core strength and I am so weak on both sides so he gave me some simple exercises pulling belly button into spine, breathe, don't release core, knees bent then very slowly one side only while core is engaged to lift knee up a bit, then lower while always staying engaged, repeat both sides. I like this exercise because my core strength has been really bad for awhile.

@hipster55 I so want to swim. I see OS on Thursday so will ask him. I will have to find some swim shorts so I don't get ppl staring at my battle scar.

Today is a beautiful day and I started healthy eating and will do a nutritional cleanse later this week. I want to shed some unwanted fat this week. A friend of mine is my accountability partner and I figure less weight will hello my hipster really be happy.
 
@rheerios so glad you had a good day. Walking is the best I always did walk cant wait to go the whole distance as before. My incision is also tight cannot wait to apply my oil,after I see OS Thursday and get the ok.
 
@hipster55 I am also 55. I just got in my pool 2 days ago, just walked around. I am 5 1/2 weeks LHR do you do any certain kinds of exercises in pool, not sure what I should be doing? I have not driven yet I am very nervous about it. My husband takes me everywhere fortunately he is retired.
 
@Yokesgirl what type of oil are you asking OS about and how do you apply? We both will have updates on Thursday. I am starting to compile my questions. I did about 5000 steps today. Not bad for post surgery. Hip is a little tired this Eve so used my cane a little. Overall, energy is better and I had a great day. After PT I went for a walk this evening with a friend two times around the track. Feeling good!
 
@rheerios That is awesome. I have an oil I purchased from my friend called miracle oil. I personally see results it was amazing in just 10 days. Once I start using it I will post pic with update if I can figure out how to do that I am not computer ssvvy. I started questions also. We can see if our surgeons think alike. Have a great day.
 
Hi all. Burt's Bees Mama Bee Vitamin E oil was recommended to me by my PT. I have to wait another month to let the glued wound heal completely before I get into the pool again. I did pool for 3 yrs and delayed surgery. There is a book in the Bonesmart library by Dr. Robert Klapper (my OS) that discusses pool therapy and shows exercises in the pool pre and post surgery. I will start pool PT in 1 month...after the wound is healed. I'm tired of the wound and waiting on it!
 
@luvsibes I will check with OS and see if I can start using oil soon.

I find it interesting on this site all the differences with the surgeons. My OS didn't have me do compression socks or the little machine with cuffs when I went home, just ankle pump exercises and I was able to shower from day one. This may be due to anterior approach. I am only using cane a little usually during end of day and I still take with me when I go out. I will need to work on balance. Oh boy, working on my core makes for some sore abs this morning. Guess it's working. I know many don't recommend PT. I like it because it gives me a better mindset and allows me to be more active. I am listening to my body so I don't over do it. I did sleep very well last night and since I am increasing activity my body said it was tired.

Off to work today. Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Please excuse the derail below @rheerios
I hope you're having a good week so far.
Wishing you a great day at work and a relaxing evening afterward :)


Hi @hipster55
I noticed you are 4 weeks post op but don't have a thread of your own.
Please join us! We'd love to leave you some interesting articles that I'm sure you will find beneficial.
We'd also like to offer you the same support and encouragement that others are receiving who are in the early weeks of recovery just like you.

Here is an article explaining how to start a thread -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.14736/

Hope this helps...
Best wishes as you continue to move through recovery!
 
Update after OS appt and PT today. I feel very grateful that I have such a great surgeon and he has a good bedside manner. Incision is healing and no infection. I can swim in about two weeks and no need for aspirin anymore. He said ok to get a massage if I wanted and encouraged me to rub/massage the parts on my thigh that are numb because it will help with healing. He said gait is getting better and once balance and gait are better then I can start Pilates if I want. He was amazed how little pain relief I had throughout and affirmed that I have a high tolerance for pain(I found out that when I delivered my son 18 years ago). Now I need to start massaging my incision because there's a lot of scar tissue. I was so happy that I was able to walk into OS office with no cane. No more restrictions except extension of back leg for another week.

A few hours later I had PT and they really helped me with working on my gait. They showed me how to massage my incision and we found out that my inner thigh muscle was very angry. After the massage work it really loosened up my hip, the best I have felt ever since surgery and when I got up I walked so much better. I was super excited. I know my balance isn't good at all so they showed me some good balance exercises. After I left there I was walking well and the rest of the day I felt great. Only had one dose of Tylenol today, which feels great.

I am really surprised the turning point after one month (technically 5 weeks) and my energy is returning. I didn't feel a need for a nap today and even attended an evening networking event at our local Sports Basement where I won a $100 gift certificate. Time for shopping. Bad call this evening and didnt select the right shoes to wear. Its very important to wear shoes that are not heopen in the back. Won't do that again. @Yokesgirl how did your appt go.today?

Excited that I am having more good days than bad ones. For those early in recovery, it does get better.
 
:wow: Great that all is going so well.
Good to get out...and won a prize to boot!:yes!:
Hope your weekend is wonderful!:SUNsmile:
 
I'm so happy, @rheerios, that you are progressing well. I have also been massaging the scar tissue around the wound. It's so tender and unfortunately i have a low pain tolerance. It sounds like you are getting out and about and that makes a big difference too. I will look forward to hearing more about your recovery and rehab. Sending good wishes and healing energy to you!
 
Wonderful update on a great post op visit.
Sounds like you're doing very well for five weeks. You're on your way.
Enjoy the weekend!
@rheerios
 
Thanks everyone. Wow, I worked a full day and didn't have to use my cane all day. I keep saying to myself when I walk "heel, toe, heel, toe." I still have a hard time when I first get up from sitting or lying down, but once I get going I am doing fine. Been a little lax on my walking so may need to get to the gym for a stationery bike ride. I am getting about 5500-6500 steps in each day so not too far from my goal. I like that I can do more stretching to increase my flexibility. Baby steps.
 
I think only ppl in this form can appreciate my accomplishment this morning. I sucked the gut in and put my underwear and shorts on without sitting down. Yes, i axxomploshed this standing up. Woo hoo!
 
:happyfeet:woo hoo!
Hey look ma, all by myself:heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom