THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

@luvsibes all useful information for us on here who are recovering slower than expected. Our local swimming pool is notorious for its cold water which I would usually prefer but not presently! . I am going to see if I can get into a bath this weekend but very carefully! I have enough extensionto lift over the side ...

@AnnieRose2 hang in in there and I hope you get your solution soon. It really sucks when you have the pain inhibiting your recovery.

Ps am typing this at 12:15 Pm on a Saturday as yesterday’s work schedule knocked me for six, a lift was broken and I did 4 flights of stairs twice. With BoneSmart Mindfullness I went to bed and iced as soon as I got home and was well enough to cook dinner later but this recovery business combined with WORK sure has its ups and downs...
 
Hi all, I’m in month 5. Here’s my updates.
The injection for trochanteric bursitis helped a little.
My IT band is still sore. Groin pain remains.
Rainy days are terrible.( pain)
I developed pain in a bursa 2 inches above my knee . The pain managment doctor injected that area on Tuesday.
That’s sore. I hope pain is from injection and will go away in a few days.
My life is hip centric..stretching ,resting ,icing , heating.
I bought a TENS machine. The company recommends not using it near metal implants..idk ..do I still use it?
The PT has a machine,and I have no problems after that.
I’m still going to PT..we go slow, nothing painful..she does ROM and stretching.
I see the OS on Tuesday, will get X-ray. I don’t expect any new answers...like why am I still in pain?
Ugh, I had such high expectations..
But I can’t go back in time. I have to keep going on.
AR2
 
Hi @AnnieRose2 I am so sorry to read of all your troubles. I am eight weeks post op tomorrow and heading to second surgery a week tomorrow. Fortunately (dumb and lucky really) I have had a surgeon who said from day one, "No PT, just walk". At six weeks he said I could do more, but I've kept with my activities of daily living and that keeps me busy enough. I hope that you will try to rest, ice those poor sore muscles and elevate as much as you can, and leave the PT behind. I am praying your x-ray will confirm that your new hip is fine, which will then confirm you need to give the muscles time to recover from the surgery, and from the PT which set them back so much.
Keep us posted and know we are here for you :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @AnnieRose2 - I am glad to hear from you and am sad to see that you are still being challenged by that darn bursitis issue. I will be interested in the outcome of the x-rays next week and any new follow-ups. At 5 months, I still am pacing myself and find too much standing, sitting, or bending (and what is "too much" keeps me challenged to figure out!) creates a deep low back pain - not the hip, but my back! This week was one of ice, heat, stretch, rest to undo a stupid lifting thing I did last weekend!

I will send prayers and good energy to you that the xrays show no problems and you will continue to heal. :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really in a bad way today. The pain management doctor injected Kenelog in a site about 1 inch above my affected knee. I was having pain there and he said he said that's the area of a bursa. That was this past Tuesday. Since then the pain is unmanageable. I cannot weight bear, I'm hobbling around. Sometimes there is shooting pain in my hip. Did he inject in wrong place?

I have an appointment with OS Monday. I'm not confident he will do anything because he didn't do the injection. I'm scared this was a big mistake. I can't take anymore.
 
The pain management doctor injected Kenelog in a site about 1 inch above my affected knee. I was having pain there and he said he said that's the area of a bursa.
Why would he inject in a bursa? Very strange thing to do!
Did he inject in wrong place?
There's no way I can give an opinion on that. It's possible he might have hit a nerve, it can happen but since I wasn't there, there's nothing I can say about it.

As for the Kenelon, that's a drug called triamcinolone acetonide. It is a synthetic corticosteroid used topically to treat various conditions such as intra-articular pain and various joint conditions. It's quite an innocuous drug. I know this because I've use it as a nasal spray for some 30 odd years. So what I'm saying is that it's unlikely to be the injection that's caused this pain. More likely a flare-up of whatever is causing the pain.
 
Hello my dear hippie friend. I'm not sure if these comments will help at all but I'm throwing this idea out for consideration. I am wondering if your insurance or personal resources would allow you to take your pre-op MRI's and x-rays and all the x-rays since to another orthopedist for a second opinion on what is happening with your hip? I know different docs see things differently. Perhaps a search on HealthGrades, Yelp, etc. can identify a respected doc in your area to get another view on this situation? I know the first ortho doc I saw told me to get cortisone shots, surgery and that I'd "never do yoga again". I know he was not the doc for me and that I would soon be on Medicare with new insurance and able to see my chosen doc who has been much more supportive and helpful. Just a thought.

It saddens me to hear that you continue to have this constant pain. I hope the Tues. appointment and x-rays can shed more light on what's happening. :shrug::angel:
 
Hi Annie Rose,
I'm so sorry you're still suffering pain and struggling for answers. I sense your sadness and frustration.
I think luvsibes has a great idea in what she's posted above. Possibly it is time you gather up all of your THR history / info and have a fresh eye look at it all. There has to be a course of action out there to bring you relief. Best of luck with the OS tomorrow.
Prayers for your comfort and wishes that you find answers and relief soon. Please stay in touch. We care.
@AnnieRose2
 
Good luck on appointment today.:fingersx:
If you don't feel your OS is truly focused on getting you answers AND solutions...I do hope you consider seeking a second opinion.
Also have seen many still struggling with issues at five months that DID resolve, so keep the faith.
Hope there will be a plan one way or another. You deserve some relief from pain!
Hugs @AnnieRose2 :console2:
 
Hi all, back from OS appointment.
Good news..the X-ray / implant is in proper position and healing. He said he was proud of this surgery.
He observed me walking and said all looked good. ( of course, I was not in pain at time of visit)
He asked how I’m doing and I said not good. I told him I use a cane occasionally but didn’t bring it today..maybe I should have..

Next, was my pain conversation. I read from my note book describing the pain area, my inability to bear weight in AM, my injections for bursitis by pain management doctor .He basically said he doesn’t know why I’m in pain and again, it might be my mental state. He said this before ..and again, I stop him , and ask..are you saying my pain is not real? He said no, my pain is real. End of that conversation.

He referred me back to pain doctor and the possibility the pain is back related.I said I didn’t have back pain before ,and he said it was difficult to separate diagnosis of arthritic hip and back.

He said he will see me on the 1 year anniversary... 7 months from now.

I asked for clarification regarding restrictions. The PT and pain doctor keep me on 90 degree . The surgeon said no more, and he allows me to bend over and touch my toes..and I did it ..Yay! As long as my feet are straight ahead, no adduction , I’m good to go..this makes me happy for my chair yoga class.
He also said no to dental pre- treatment.

I don’t have a plan except go back to pain management doctor. As far as going for a second opinion, I did see my regular ortho , in addition to the pain doctor , and they both said this surgery is “ fresh” (both used that same word)
And true healing time is one year.

I don’t know how I feel about the visit outcome..I got good news but no answers. I want to believe I will get better and I just need time..but living with pain is so tough , mentally and physically. ( you all know that)
And my pain is real.
This surgeon is director at NYU / Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York City. He does revisions , in addition to initial. That doesn’t mean there are no mistakes but that’s all they do here... Orthopedics

I just want to get better.
Thanks for your concern and kind words.
AR2
 
Yay for touching toes.
I know that you were hoping for some insight on your pain, but glad to know he is happy with the Implant.
Have you thought about a chiropractor?
I have, as I have some minor nagging SI pain, but I do allot of labor intensive tasks where I work.
I have thought about it, but been dragging my feet as I don't have a personal referral to rely on and worry about someone mucking up my new good hips.
I hope you take some comfort in the fact your xrays show no problems.
I put some heat on my back when mine aggravates me.
Sending you good mojo @AnnieRose2
 
Hi :wave:
Well....you did receive some good news today, Annie. I'm happy for you. Just wish you could get to the source of your pain. Be persistent until you've exhausted all options, or the pain subsides. There has to be an answer that will lead to relief. Wishing you comfort and a great week :)
@AnnieRose2
 
Hi @AnnieRose2 - I'm glad to hear that you got good news about the surgery itself. The continued pain at weight bearing is challenging and annoying at best for you. It's great you can forward bend and touch your toes! I do find that movement is the one that sends my back into pain and spasms! I'm still doing the arabesque bend and modeling a partial forward bend for my chair yoga students. Too much bending to pick up husky hair is not a good thing for my back! LOL!

I recently tried a CBD coconut oil cream for my scar tissue which has been a source of irritation upon touch and sometimes even with movement. It's been amazing and is replacing the Vit E oil massage.

Have you had a massage? I have my monthly one tomorrow and am looking forward to the low back and IT massage (and neck, lingering arm issue, and the whole experience!). I'd have it daily if I had $$$!

I wonder about the steriod shots. This is an uninformed statement from me and not meant to be judgemental ... I know my Doc says to avoid cortisone shots (I know that's different than what you are having so again, take this with a grain of salt), as they cause muscles to deteriorate like meat tenderizer. He sees it as an emergency measure not as an ongoing treatment. I don't know if Kenalog is similar in that way?

I know you meditate, do yoga, and have a lot of resilience. I truly hope this pain and back problem will resolve over time. Sending love, hope, and positive energy to you!:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @luvsibes..thank you for your advice. We started this together and thru it all ,I take strength from your kind words.
I haven’t had a massage, yet . When I called to make an appointment, I might have said too much , and they want a doctors note prior to visit. They offer therapeutic massage wit CBD oil. I thought I would try that then.

Today , the recent injection site seemed to calm down..it’s been a week. I agree with these shots and the long term side effects. The first one did alleviate the pain in the trochanter bursa.
My surgical scar area is all healed and doesnt hurt when I massage.

I had a good day at PT. I primarily do stretches , ROM, massage, TENS and icing. She was happy with the ROM and said there is improvement since I started with her. I don’t do anything that hurts and tell her if I have a problem.

We going to St Thomas next month..I look forward to swimming and being in the sun.
I bought a folding cane to take with me..one reason,as a visual ( stay away) and also, to manage the long walks in airport.
Its a 3.5 hour flight and I’m wondering about compression socks. @Layla
The OS office told me I don’t need a medical card to go thru TSA security.
Sending happy continued healing thoughts to you.:loveshwr::flwrysmile::wave:
AR2
 
Last edited:
Hi Soul Sister! Yes, we started this together stressing over our pre-ops, decisions, and initials days after surgery and our rehab experiences!

I'm so excited for your St. Thomas trip. Pack bags for ice and your heating pad and perhaps a CBD topical (not to mention sunscreen and all the usual island items!). It will be good to be away and totally relaxed. I missed our annual Maui trip this year...between the hip and eldercare, it just didn't happen. We knew that we
d miss this year and celebrated our 10th anniversary on Maui last year, a year early! There's nothing like the sun and warm island lazy life as we talked about when we first met and I saw your avatar of the island.

A CBC massage sounds so wonderful. I had my monthly massage last night and my therapist was amazed at how few "knots" I had in my body. I recall her spending a whole hour on my leg and hip pre-surgery when I could hardly walk! If you can do that pre and post trip it would be great!

I'm sending you loving and healing thoughts and am happy your xrays and appointment went well. I recall that the OS told you once that some heal more slowly than others, so hang in there and celebrate the small successes and gently move toward the goal. One full year...that's what I'm told and understand.

Love, Luvsibes
 
So glad to see two happy hippies here! St Thomas sounds wonderful. What suncream will you be using? I am planning to cover up mostly but to put total
Sunblock on the scar as a safety measure.
 
@SurreyGirl I use Australian Gold 30 sunscreen. I'm seeing FB posts asking people to purchase sunscreen that protects coral..I haven't seen that in stores, yet..My one piece suit covers most of my scar,and if I wear boy shorts, its completely covered. This is our 12th year back to St. Thomas..love it..One of the best things I bought for trip is a SPF rash guard shirt..I wear it over my suit..keeps my back and shoulders protected.
The resort has aqua classes in the pool..Pre surgery this was my favorite thing..I hope to" test the waters" before I restart my gym membership.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom