THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

Hey @AnnieRose2
We haven't heard from you in a month. Wondering how you're doing on your almost four month anniversary?
Miss you, would sure love to hear an update from you.
Wondering if your bursitis is any better and whether you made the trip to DC yet? If so, I hope you had a great time. Hopefully you're doing well as we transition into Fall. The holidays will be here in no time :yikes:
Hugs and best wishes! :)
 
Hi..Layla and BoneSmart folks..yes. October 5 is my 4 month anniversary.
I had a “Moving Forward “ month with some glitches along the way.
We went to DC and toured the White House..”Our House” is magnificent and I would recommend everyone to get tickets from your Congressperson and take tour. As expected , DC is a walking town and I had my cane at all times..as a helper and visual to others. The cane was a must have with a heavy downpours of rain we had that weekend, and I managed balancing cane and umbrella. I went thru security , did not set off alarms. Nor did they ask me for any “ card” from surgeon saying I have replacement.
I don’t have any card from him..should I ask for future air flights, Etc?
I went to the pain management doctor and he diagnosed my hip pain as trochanteric bursitis. You all called that one!! He gave a injection of Kenolog, a cortisone. I got 50% relief from that. And.. .he prescribed PT , again ..saying the bursitis can return. I did not go back to same PT facility...instead I researched local places and so far , I’m happy with this different therapist. I only went for evaluation and she had me do the same beginner stretches I did right after surgery. We’ll see how this goes again..it was different this time bc I wasn’t crying with pain after the session..a good thing.
I’m walking 1.5 mile everyday with a routine I do at the B-ball court..I walk the length of court, backwards, sideways and walk on the line of the court..for balance. I read great things about walking backwards..even helps with weight loss.What could be bad? ? I returned to my chair Yoga class. It was great seeing all my friends and hearing all their compliments on how good I look..
I saw my Dentist for annual cleaning. Again mixed messages..my surgeon’s advise papers says, prophylactic antibiotic a must within 3 months of surgery and the patient to consider staying on it for life. Consider? Wait, what?
The dentist says only 1 year. The surgeon recommended amoxicillin, and I can’t take that, so I was given Keflex.
I’m curious, what BS position ..how long do I need to be treated .
So the question I still ask myself..was this surgery the right decision? I honestly say , I’m not sure and I will never know the answer. Today at 4 months, I feel I exchanged one pain for another. Yes I’m doing good in recovery, I no longer live in that sad state I had for the first 2 months, I see steps in right direction. But as I always say, you can’t go back in time..and this is my life now. I miss my swim ,my aqua classes. For me, The wet locker room floor would be a challenge now.. I will get back to the pool , just not yet..I guess that another goal I’ll set.
Wow that’s big post..thanks for thinking of me. I’ll keep in touch
Love to all.
AR2
 
Last edited:
Yea! Good to hear from you and read the updates. Slow and steady wins the race. My doc says to give all the flexibility, strength, and balance goals a full year! There are no restrictions except for what my body tells me about the movement or activity. He says work toward the goal slowly and mindfully (not his words, he said "stay afraid") and assured my that the dent in the hip and the ROM will all get better within the year!

You have the tools and plan now for your body's recovery and that is working for you! I'm glad to hear from you, Soul Sister. We started this journey together crying about pre-op anxieties! It will be a good year and we'll supprt each other along the way.:loveshwr:
 
Hi Annie,
Great to hear from you. I'm happy you made the trip and enjoyed it.
Thankfully you're feeling some improvements. You still have many months of healing to go. Try not to lose sight of that when you're feeling discouraged. I hope one day you're able to be happy you had the surgery.

Here is an article about the dentist and antibiotics
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ctic-antibiotics-for-dental-procedures.20052/

Thanks for the update. It was nice to hear from you. Stay in touch!
@AnnieRose2
 
Hi all. It's been awhile since I posted here.

I thought I was moving along after the injection for bursitis about 3 weeks ago. I was walking about 1½ mile a day, going to my yoga. The pain management doctor diagnosed trochanteric bursitis and advised PT to prevent it returning. I had 4 sessions. She is very compassionate, gentle and listens. I don't do anything that causes pain unlike the first PT I saw. I primarily do stretches, ROM exercises, massages, heat and ice..

My problem now and looking for advice: every morning I wake up with intense pain in my affected leg thigh, on the side and above my knee. It's so bad I use cane to support me. MY PT thinks it's back related and tight IT band. As the day moves on, I feel better and can move along without cane. I can't believe I'm back on cane. I have no plans to see surgeon, maybe ever again, and the pain management doctor visit is in a few weeks.

Advice?
 
:hi:
Was glad to see your name pop up but sure hate to see you struggling.
Let's tag @Josephine .
Perhaps she can suggest something?
Sending big hugs!:roseshwr:
 
Hi Annie,
Sorry you're struggling and in pain. I'm curious to see what Josephine has to say.
I know it's been a rough road for you, I hope you find answers soon and relief from the pain.
Wishing you comfort and sending a hug :console2:
@AnnieRose2
 
The pain management doctor diagnosed trochanteric bursitis and advised PT to prevent it returning. I had 4 sessions.
Not the best treatment for TB.
My problem now and looking for advice: every morning I wake up with intense pain in my affected leg thigh, on the side and above my knee. It's so bad I use cane to support me.
There is no doubt it is directly associated with the PT!
My PT thinks it's back related and tight IT band.
Maybe, maybe not. I think it's more to do with the PT.

So tell me:

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine
Thank you, here are answers.

To review, I had THR June 5, and on September 4, I received a kenelog / cortisone injection into bursa by pain management doctor. His diagnosis was trochanteric bursitis and recommended PT and I went 2 weeks after injection.

2.Pain level upon waking in AM level 8. I literally cannot walk, bear weight unassisted so I'm using cane. The pain is side of my thigh about 3-4 inches above my knee. My back hurts from unnatural gait. Pain will decrease to level 3 as I move around. My gait is still off and back hurts. The pain is a pulling, like feeling all day.

3.Today, I restarted Mobic 7.5 mg 2 x a day.. I was only taking Tylenol 1000 mg x2 a day since October 1.

4. Two weeks ago I was walking daily about 1½ miles. During my walk I would walk sideways and backward.

Home exercises I was doing leg lifts , marching in place , piriformis stretch while laying on back, Heel slides, leg lifts while sitting in chair, abduction with band , side kicks , lifting leg back. I would do 1 set of 20, one time a day but not every day and not all those exercise. I would mix it up. I am able to bend to tie my shoes.

Then I stopped everything at home.. and went to PT..The weather got unpleasant and too rainy to walk, and I got depressed and tired of all “this”.

5. At PT I do much of same stretches that I was doing at home. She did have 1 pound weight on ankles when marching and leg lifts, but I stopped that. She added side leg lifts while laying down and a clam while I’m laying on side, no band. That’s hard to do so I only did 5.
She does ROM stretches .heat or ice and the TENS patch. All PT stretches, I do 2 sets of 10.
I go 2 times a week..
I have an appointment with pain management doctor next week. He’s the one who sent me to PT ..he said I would get bursitis again if I didn’t go.

I’ve had this side leg pain since surgery. The surgeon felt I was walking nicely and he had no idea why I was having pain on side of my leg..so he’s the one who sent me to pain management doctor..I haven’t seen the surgeon since July 30.

***Very important question: the PT will pull my leg, sort of like traction. She did this twice. Is this bad? Can she dislocate my hip.? She said it was to release my hip.

Thank you for your input.
AR2
 
Please, PLEASE answer the question correctly
Home exercises I was doing leg lifts , marching in place , piriformis stretch while laying on back, Heel slides, leg lifts while sitting in chair, abduction with band , side kicks , lifting leg back. I would do 1 set of 20, one time a day but not every day and not all those exercise. I would mix it up. I am able to bend to tie my shoes.

She did have 1 pound weight on ankles when marching and leg lifts, but I stopped that. She added side leg lifts while laying down and a clam while I’m laying on side, no band. That’s hard to do so I only did 5.
She does ROM stretches .heat or ice and the TENS patch. All PT stretches, I do 2 sets of 10.

I said answer them like the example which means please make a list and not an essay!
 
Sorry, I'll try again. Thank you for reviewing.

Home Exercises. ALL 1x day and NOT everyday and NOT same day as PT
straight leg lifts 20x
marching in place 20x
side leg lifts standing 20x
back leg lifts standing 20x
heel slides 20x
abduction with band 10x
hip adduction with ball 20x
walking 1 mile
walking backward
walking sideways

PT Exercises. ALL 2x per week
straight leg lifts 20x
marching in place 20x with 1 pound weight
side leg lifts standing 20x with 1 pound weight
back leg lifts standing 20x with 1 pound weight.
heel slides 20x
Bridge 20x
abduction with band 20x
hip adduction with ball 20x
Clam , no band, laying on side 5x
Piriformis stretch, laying on back. 5x
Quadriceps Stretch. leg off side of table , extending backwards 20x
ROM maneuvers done by PT.
*manual traction of leg by therapist..(this concerns me greatly)

Thank you again
 
2.Pain level upon waking in AM level 8.
Pain will decrease to level 3 as I move around.
That's high for 19 weeks out!
3.Today, I restarted Mobic 7.5 mg 2 x a day.. I was only taking Tylenol 1000 mg x2 a day since October 1.
I suggest you take the Tylenol 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals. Much more effective. And forget the Mobic!
4. Two weeks ago I was walking daily about 1½ miles. During my walk I would walk sideways and backward.
I don't recommend that! It's vastly overdoing it!
Home Exercises. ALL 1x day and NOT everyday and NOT same day as PT
straight leg lifts 20x
marching in place 20x
side leg lifts standing 20x
back leg lifts standing 20x
heel slides 20x
abduction with band 10x
hip adduction with ball 20x
walking 1 mile
walking backward
walking sideways

PT Exercises. ALL 2x per week
straight leg lifts 20x
marching in place 20x with 1 pound weight
side leg lifts standing 20x with 1 pound weight
back leg lifts standing 20x with 1 pound weight.
heel slides 20x
Bridge 20x
abduction with band 20x
hip adduction with ball 20x
Clam , no band, laying on side 5x
Piriformis stretch, laying on back. 5x
Quadriceps Stretch. leg off side of table , extending backwards 20x
ROM maneuvers done by PT
.
As you can see, I've crossed out ALL of these exercises as well as the PT. This is because you don't need them and they are what is causing your pain.
manual traction of leg by therapist..(this concerns me greatly)
Gosh, I should think so! But if you cancel your PT sessions, that won't be a problem any more, will it?

The reason I speak against PT/exercises is because hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Annie, I hope you'll give some serious consideration to stopping all of the PT. Give it a month and see if things start turning around for you and moving forward. What do you have to lose?
Wishing you comfort and healing.
@AnnieRose2
 
@AnnieRose2 I am about 8 weeks behind you. I felt the PT did help with early mobility but some of the more advanced exercises caused me pain that took about a month to recover from And caused weakened muscles in one area etc so now I do some gentle walking but probably only a mile a day if I include walking about at work plus a set walk.

Very very slowly the pain is getting better. I don’t like taking paracetamol but do take it as Josephine prescribed and it does help. I cut back a bit as things get better.

It is so frustrating when progress is slow and I feel for you! But stopping the PT and getting some massage in might be the way to go...I get my PT to check my movements and walking gait and then concentrate on massage. Frustrated that I am still using a crutch but the amount of time I can walk without one is increasing but not ready to be strutting about in public just yet!
 
@Josephine .I get your message Loud and Clear..PT is not needed for hips. . OK...
Now what about this trochanteric Bursitis? I never had any bursitis or IT band issues pre surgery..The Pain management doctor said it was a result of surgery. I read your page about that condition..The advice is some stretches or foam roller ..I had cortisone injection..that helped a little at the bursa but not the IT band. The OS wouldn't acknowledge the possibility of bursitis when I complained about my pain..It was like, if it didn't relate to his "nuts and bolts" , everything was fine..( body part medicine).
This surgery was the worst decision I ever made in my life..I simply exchanged one pain for another..
Thanks for any advice.
AR2
 
It's not unknown for more than one cortisone injection to be needed. I had three in mine! And the IT band certainly does respond to the roller foam and stretches - in time. But perhaps you could also try chiropractic treatment. It helped a lot with my ITB issues.
 
My Dear AnnieRose and Soul Sister, it pains me to hear you are still struggling with healing the darned hip. We started this together and I truly hope you can move beyond this pain. I'm certainly not an expert, but I like the idea from Layla and Josephine of just "being" with the hip and letting it rest, ice, and walk mindfully a bit a day. Not everyone likes massage but I get one monthly for years now (fibro, arthritis, muscle knots, etc. seem to respond well to it for me). My massage therapist does a sports massage that's pretty deep tissue. Yes, it hurts while she's massaging and may be a bit tender to touch the next day but really releases the knots and tightness for some time.

When my wound felt healed enough (it still hurts around the wound site with touch or over-activity) I had her come. She spent the hour on my thigh and IT band as it was so tight and "knotted". It really helped and the next month when she came it was still pretty ok. I use a massage ball and go over the thigh to knee and IT often while watching TV, etc. I love massage and would have one daily or weekly if I had the $$$! This IT and thigh thing was a problem pre-op and may just continue to be a body challenge for me.

I'm done with PT and back at my community warm water pool 2x/week. I plan to do that for another 6 months to complete the 1 year of healing Dr. Klapper says it takes. It has served me well pre-op and in rehab so will stick with it. I am teaching 2 chair yoga classes which are gentle and ok. This week I was on my feet for several hours while finally cleaning out our auntie's apartment. No major lifting and I limited my bending but I really felt that much standing and was likely not as mindful of my moves. A short walk with gait awareness helped the next day after a couple of days of ice and rest.

This journey has been challenging for you and I hope a more restful approach can help. I'm sending you my best energy and hugs for a renewed recovery approach! Love, Luvsibes.:hugzz:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom