TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

I’m SO glad it wasn’t the vacuum I was picturing! You did say sweeper, but my mother in law used to call her vacuum a sweeper, so that’s what I pictured. :rotfl:
 
I would go outside and walk for a few minutes every day (unless it rained) once I felt comfortable going outside--even with my walker. Some days I'd sit outside for a little while and watch the birds and squirrels (keeping my scar protected from the sun). I had a nice sturdy lawn chair with arms that made it ok to get up and down.

I also had a friend who'd call me for a few minutes every day to check in. That was nice because I didn't always feel like having people stop in, but I did get a bit bored being home by myself. I'm a homebody, but tkr recovery is long.
 
Just curious how long you all used each/one/combo of a walker, crutches, or cane after a knee replacement. Tell me your experience:)
 
@nuttybrunette ,

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
When I posted the recovery reading for you, in Post # 4, it included this:
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.​

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Just curious how long you all used each/one/combo of a walker, crutches, or cane after a knee replacement. Tell me your experience:)
You can't judge how long you will need to use walking aids by comparing with other people's experience, because every knee is different and so is every recovery.

There is no set time for giving up walking aids and there are no prizes for giving them up early.
Use them as long as you feel you need them. You will know when it is time to give them up.
 
At home I am not using anything but I use a single crutch when I go outside. I am walking steadily and not trying to sprint anywhere. My fitness level prior to surgery was above average doing the stationary bike for an hour four times a week and still did some walking not quickly or for long time as it would get a wobble up.

I think it would be better to use sticks and get a good walking style than walk with a limp without it.
 
Last edited:
I think not would be better to use sticks and get a good waslking style than walk with a limp without it.
I agree. You need to keep using the walking aids until you can walk normally, without a limp.
 
@nuttybrunette
Just to tell my experience which as celle said, every one and every knee is different. I used a walker for 10 days, a cane for additional 2 weeks. Used one of those electric carts at the grocery store until around week 5.
My fitness level before surgery was good with upper and lower body strength. To be candid , only had one arthritic knee.
 
@Celle I understood that we could start a new thread, so I was. I also am fully aware each person is different and to do what is right for me. My intent for the thread was purely to hear other people's stories, not to compare myself to anyone. I started it with the specific title as to draw attention to it as opposed to part of my recovery thread, as I was not looking for advice or relaying my recovery.
 
On the recovery forum only one thread is allowed. You can discuss all your topics here, even if not asking for advice.

You can start as many threads as you want in the other forums.

I used my walker for 2 weeks (but sometimes went without it at home) and then used my cane until somewhere between 3-4 months.
 
You are still supposed to have only one thread in recovery. This site isn't like any other. Your thread can draw people's comments. Just ask a question on the one single thread. There's always someone around to read it.

At home I used the walker around 3 weeks. Out in public I used it for at least 2 months. I was always afraid of being bumped into. I still am. I have a cane in my car just in case the situation calls for it. It's much better to be save rather than falling down!
 
Yes, I did read and understand the reasons, but I didn't realize there was a different place, like not in the recovery forum. The site has more to it than I knew. My apologies:banghead: I get it now:) Can I blame it on the pain meds?:heehee:
 
Yes, we’ll take care of it. :flwrysmile:
 
Could I please have my old thread title back?
I'm really sorry, but when threads are merged, the old title is lost. I chose the title of your new thread, because I thought you wanted a question answered.
If you can remember your old title, I will change it back, or if you'd like to suggest a new title, I'll change the title to what you suggest.
Yes, I did read and understand the reasons, but I didn't realize there was a different place, like not in the recovery forum. The site has more to it than I knew. My apologies:banghead: I get it now:) Can I blame it on the pain meds?:heehee:

Have a look here, at the BoneSmart main forum page. You'll see there are forums (fora?) for lots of things.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/

There are areas for Hips, Knees, Shoulders, and Other Joints, as well as a Library, a Social Room, and a very useful section with articles on "How to . . . " do things on BoneSmart -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

For all the joint forums, you are allowed to have several threads in the pre-op area, but only one thread in the recovery area.

And yes, of course you can blame the confusion on the drugs - we're all had our thinking blurred by medication in early recovery. :friends:
 
@Celle thanks for all the info. I’ll check it out. My old thread was titled And the Marathon begins...

It’s a good one for me, as it helps keep me grounded.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom