TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

You’re doing fine, the ROM will come!
 
I think the nagging ROM voice also stems from who my Dr is. He is extremely well known for knees in my area and sought after. He's booked at least 7 months out but he is also a Dr. for sports injuries for our local university so deals with lots of athletes. He meets his knee patients for the 6 week checkup in his gym, not his office, and you're supposed to show off your walk and bend and blah blah blah for him. :heehee: So.....I think that's why I'm thinking about it a lot.
 
Well. A gym, you say? That can be intimidating. On the other hand, what can he possibly do if you don’t sufficiently impress him? He won’t take back the new knee, so you get to keep that. He can’t take back whatever ROM you have, so you get to keep that, too.

I say you walk into that gym with confidence. Show off your walk. Twirl your cane and give him a thumbs up. He’ll be pleased as punch. I doubt he expects you to outperform his athletes. :wink:
 
Note to self, no surgeons who have their own gyms!

My surgeon was very focused on ROM. Didn’t ask what I could do or how I was, just X-rays and measurements. :blackcloud:
 
Oh no, not an athlete's OS, too! It was you can do with your new knee that's important, not the numbers! But, your knee is too young to worry about ROM. You have months and even years for your ROM to keep improving. Just be patient. Yeah, I know. Easier said than done!
 
I’ve got a med question. Been taking Percocet-5/325. For a week I’ve been substituting the daytime ones with Tylenol. But at night and in the morning, still felt the need for the Percocet. Since weaning down I’ve had afternoon headaches. I called Dr to ask for Tramadol instead. Not a problem. Then I asked how to switch to it from Percocet. She said to start taking one a day for a few days then switch to Tramadol. So.....I have to wean myself completely off Percocet before I start Tramadol? Seems like I’ll be in pain for a few days..... does that sound right??
 
Best wishes Nutty, although I am sure eveything will go well. Just remember that it is all up from here. Rather than the pain you were experiencing getting worse every day, every passing day from here on in will see you getting better and better. I am sure you will be back on your feet in no time. I had mine done last week and I have just cooked dinner and done the washing up. It ain't all bad.
 
Thank you for the reminder. Yes, uphill from here. You made dinner? Impressive. I opened a can of soup a week after my replacement. It smelled like dog food. I threw it away. Didn’t eat till hubby came around to rescue me. Lol. I’ve had a very strong sense of smell since surgery and many foods smell very bad to me. No clue why. Good luck on your recovery and thanks for stopping by.
 
Not to disparage men, but I have noticed that many men think doing too much too soon is a sign of strength or manliness or something. Making dinner and doing the dishes afterwards at one week post TKR is, IMHO, not a sign of anything but impatience, with maybe a touch of ego thrown in. Men like to do and fix and care for, so being patient and allowing themselves to recover is foreign to many of them. Those qualities are generally admirable, but not after this kind of surgery. So, to me, it's not impressive, it's short-sighted, and I hope, @nuttybrunette , or anyone else, you don't feel like you're behind or a sloth, etc. if you take the time needed to allow your knee to recover by resting when necessary, icing, elevating, and the rest of the activity progressions listed in the library.
 
I'd call your doctor's office back for clarification.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom