TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

I had lost some after my surgery, too. Nothing tasted good. But, I gained it back, too. I'm trying to get it back off now. Being more active helps!
 
So my daughter and boyfriend made a lovely dinner. We settled down to play some cards after our meal. Then that “urge” hit me. Yay! Excused myself and was gone for way too long. Lol. Some success. Once would have been fine. But I repeated this exit 3 times. As soon as I’d get back to cards I’d get up again. Pluses: things are moving and I got lots of exercise last night. Negatives: boyfriend is gonna have a gross memory of me
 
Hopefully the boyfriend is an understanding person, he’ll probably forget this and he’ll see you in better times in the future!

You’re coming along fine!
 
So glad things are moving along with you! I bet you feel a lot better. If the boyfriend doesn't understand, then your daughter would be better off without him.
 
@Josephine. What’s your take on CPM machines.
Not a lot. In fact, I think they are pretty much a waste of time but that's hardly surprising when you consider that I don't go much on any exercising for knees anyway! I've never seen any evidence that the outcome is better with using one.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
So glad things are moving along with you! I bet you feel a lot better. If the boyfriend doesn't understand, then your daughter would be better off without him.

He actually is the best boyfriend any mom could want for their daughter. We feel so lucky that he is in her/our lives.
 
Maybe I'm the strange one, but I kind of liked the CPM machine. I know it didn't really help with final ROM, but in the beginning, it was a reminder to me that my knee was capable of bending, and bending wasn't painful in the CPM machine. I put mine on a bed in an extra bedroom, and it was actually kind of relaxing to strap into the thing and just lie there for a while. I started out using it for 2-hour sessions as the doctor ordered, but switched to 1-hour sessions a couple of times per day.
 
I think my original instructions were 3 times per day for 2 hours each time. I did it first thing when I got out of bed, early afternoon, and last thing before going to bed. I reduced that to 2 times per day for 2 hours each time, and then reduced to 2 times per day for 1 hour each time. My CPM machine was here for several weeks. I think it was picked up during week 5 post-op. By that time, I wasn't using the CPM anymore because I was going for walks outside, going up and down stairs, and pedaling an exercise bike. I had switched to 1-hour sessions twice per day in week 3.
 
I think that's okay provided the patient goes easily. I have known instances where a person ramped up the flexion and then complained they were in pain! Turned out they did that because somehow, they had the idea they had to!
 
Not sure why it took me so long on this one but, been on Colace and Miralax with only sketchy results. And must mention my husband has been putting raisins in everything for me and I’ve been drinking apple juice. But I forgot about my Magnesium Citrate. What a “duh” moment. I had been taking Vit D before surgery to deal with my insufficiency and after research I also took calcium and that magnesium. I couldn’t take the magnesium every day tho as it really made me way to regular. Ended up taking it since every 3 days. BUT when you really need to “go” then why not go for it. I kid you not, took it this morning at 7:30 and by 10:30 the poop fairy had come! What a revelation. So for anyone that needs yet another way to encourage things along, try magnesium citrate.
 
Seriously?! Went to first PT today. After disagreeing about the 4 week window of opportunity for extension, and after I told her NO when she said she was going to change my bandage (Drs orders are to let no one change it-he will at my 2 week appointment), after explaining the bonesmart way of letting it heal before all these exercises, she proceeded to check my ROM measurements. Kid you not, her words upon extension were oh no, not good 15 or -15, whichever means I have a bend in it. Really? Gonna tell your patient oh no this isn’t good. Wanted to cry but she would have loved that, so I didn’t. Then the exercises came. Straight leg lifts, squats, etc. I can’t even lift my leg onto the bed or couch. Need hand assistance. And they wanted me to do 30 straight leg lifts. This is a PT place I’ve been going to for over a decade. What am I going to do‍️‍️
 
You have 3 choices.

Stay with them and argue and overwork your leg and go home with pain.

Go somewhere else and maybe find a better situation.

Don’t go at all, do gentle movements at home.


:console2: I’m sorry it went the way it did but unfortunately it happens all too often.
 
Good for you for not letting the PT touch your bandage. It's not uncommon to measure at the first PT visit, just to see where your starting point is, but it's nonsense to say "good" or "bad." :(
 
It feels empowering doesn't it? When you feel you don't have any control over anything right now, you can have control over this bit. Don't be intimidated by the numbers or the mouth they're coming out if. Good luck. Take it easyyyyyyyy
 
Someone will measure your ROM early on (my OS did it the first time for me) but I would hope anyone who did so would be encouraging. Your knees are feeling stiff and swollen and I'm sure you were in no mood for critics. :blackcloud:

Also, avoid aggressive exercises this early. It's a bit soon for squats, which are tough on knees. :groan:
 
Thank you for your responses! It helps to hear from you.

Question: I know from this site (@Josephine) that icing for an hour is okay, but of course my PT was very displeased with that. She said that after 15-20 minutes that our knees/tissues/cells start a response to that coldness and start "warming" up to counteract the coldness, which isn't a good thing. Can someone please explain why that is faulty or at least a what I should say to her in response.

On the whole PT wanting to change my bandage thing......I called the Drs. office and they (the nurse) applauded me for sticking to their advice/protocol and not letting her change it. THEN....the doctor himself called early this morning to reiterate the no change rule. Feels good to be right!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom