TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

Forget using the CPM machine so strictly. Most surgeons don't use them any more.

They don't make any difference at all to your eventual Range of Motion (ROM). They only use passive movement and what really counts is movement you make using your own muscles.

Some people like them because they stop your knee from feeling so stiff. It's their only virtue, I think.

Since the use, or not, of a CPM makes no difference in the long run, I think the long and short of it is this:
  • If your surgeon recommends it and you feel it is helpful, use it.
  • If your surgeon recommends it and you hate it, don't use it.
  • If your surgeon does not recommend it and you don't use it, your recovery will not be impeded.
As for ramping up the bend so quickly, that's quite unnecessary. Most surgeons are happy with about 90 degrees by 6 weeks.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

About the the Percocet - what was prescribed for you? You should take that on a regular schedule if it's working for you. If you feel that your pain control is inadequate, phone your surgeon and ask for your medications to be revised. You can't compare your need for medications with anyone else's.
 
The ice bags were ridiculous too. Couldn’t feel any coldness they them.

Were they the paper ones? With flimsy clips? I hated them. Mine would open sometimes and soak the sheets. Not great for icing and not great for rest!

So, I’m glad I’m home with my own ice machine, elevation pillow, and no nasty night nurse doling out the meds.

Isn't home wonderful? You set up your nest and then you have all your stuff when you settle into it. It's perfect for you. :)

And how much and how often is Percocet for you in the first week??

I had oxycodone and it was every four hours. I kept to that schedule religiously for a good two weeks, so as not to have breakthrough pain. It worked really well. Your surgeon probably sent you home with instructions for how to take your Percocet. That schedule should work for you, but if it doesn't, don't hesitate to call your surgeon and ask how you might adjust it to keep your pain under control.
 
I don’t think any one’s hospital experience is stellar by design. I took Percocet as ordered. Iced, elevated, walking to bathroom when needed. Watched a lot of Netflix! Not much else, just let my knee heal.
 
@susishoes yes, the paper ice bags with clips. Whoever thought those were a good idea. LOL. Certainly not anyone of us
And yes, I’m loving my nest. The directions for Percocet is 1-2 every 4-6 hours. But in recovery Dr said I could even do 2 every 2-3 hours for a day or two. So it sounds like there’s not a “rule” and to go by how I feel. I think 2 every 4 is working pretty well. Of course there’s discomfort but not worthy of tears.

@Josephine. What’s your take on Cpm machines. I was told to use 8 hours a day, broken up into 2 hour increments and to bump it up 5 degrees a day till I get to 120. I was at 60 when I left hospital. That seems aggressive to me and like a whole lot of movement.
 
I agree that it's aggressive.

I think they wanted me to use the cpm for something like 4 hours a day? I used it close to 4 hours a day (over different sessions) for my first knee and about 2 hours a day (one hour in the morning and once in the afternoon) with my second knee. No difference in final results for the knee.

For me, my back would get uncomfortable and it was sometimes difficult to get in the correct position. After a while it was just too much for the knee too. It's also hard to ice when you're using it. Ice time was more important for me.
I did like the cpm to the extent that it seemed as if it helped me loosen up a bit.
Many doctors don't use them at all.
 
Day 3: Taking it much easier on the cpm machine. No where near 8 hours a day:egypdance:Feeling a little rebellious towards drs orders but, oh well..... Pretty thirsty, lots of bathroom trips:) I know that's good exercise. Lots of the Iceman ice therapy machine and elevation. I had a LOT of thigh pain where I think they used a tourniquet, but that is lessening a bit. It's pretty hard to pick my leg up and down off of couch and/or bed. I have to use my hand, or my husband's, for help. Feels weak in the knee and hurts if I don't "help". Food: eh.....could take it or leave it....I know I need good nutrition and focus on choking down things I know are good for me, but anything that is spicy or rich is downright nauseating.:eeeuw: Is it that way for anyone else? Doing well on my schedule of pain meds. I am having a hard time with leg slides. Can't do them much at all. I had major ROM issues with my last knee and I worked hard at trying to "fix" that, so I'm trying not to worry and work on it too much at this point. Just heal, right? But it is hard not to see a possible de ja vu happening again. The PT at the hospital, on day 1, noticed I wasn't bending much and actually got freakishly close to my ear and whispered that either I better bend it or they will. It felt like a threat! It was a threat! It's hard to ignore comments like those along with my past experience and just calm down and let it heal. Any advice??
 
Next time look him or her in the eye and say, coolly, “I don’t like threats.” They’ll think about that for days. And if they try anyway, NO still means NO, so say it loudly!

Just heal, for sure. Move as you see fit. Enjoy your little walks and know you will soon walk further and better. :) As for the food...

Oxy completely killed my appetite. For weeks. Do your best for good nutrition and enjoy the few things you do like right now.
 
Last edited:
I lost a few pounds during my early weeks of recovery due to pain medication, lack of appetite. My appetite didn’t come back until after about 8 weeks. Keep up the hydration, and eat what you can when you can. Chicken soup my daily meal! As for the range of motion of your knee ignore those threats.
 
Any advice??
You said it yourself:
just calm down and let it heal.

I lost my appetite for a while, too, but not until I came home. I actually enjoyed the foood at my hospital!

I had some thigh pain from a tourniquet, also.

I also couldn’t pick my leg up for quite a while. My husband was very good about doing that for me! It’ll come back, though.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t finish my post, I accidentally got too close to the post button. I also accidentally touched the “ quote this message” and had to back space to delete it. Which one of us is taking the heavier pain meds? :rotfl:

I’m sorry you had a hospital PT who threatened you. That makes me angry. They have no clue what we go through. I am very thankful the PTs I had in the hospital were caring and gentle and only had me walk. No exercises, no bending and no measurements.

You’ll do great. You found Bonesmart early so you’ve got knowledge that many of us, including me, didn’t have at your stage. :console2:
 
@Jockette Yep! I couldn't believe it when the hospital PT wanted me to do the whole gambit of exercises on day 1 and THEN brought out that ROM measuring tool. I think I laughed out loud.:rofsign:
 
Thanks for the quick responses. I do remember dropping some pounds last time. My daughter and boyfriend so kindly have offered to come tonight and cook me a good dinner:)) So I will have to eat! They are so sweet to do that for me.
 
I only walked my first PT session in the hospital then was put back to bed, no exercises, no measurements.
Have a good dinner tonight. Enjoy your family.
 
I was actually hoping I would be a little nauseous for a while, I was hoping I’d lose weight. Nope. The lack of appetite didn’t last long for me, and people from my 55+ community brought dinners for about a week and a half, some complete with salad, bread sometimes and often dessert. And, they brought enough as if the whole community was eating with us! We had ziti in the freezer for ages! That was really nice of them, I didn’t expect that.
 
@Jockette
Unfortunately, I gained it all back. What a great community you live in!
 
We often gain it all back, unfortunately.
:blackcloud:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom