TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

Went to OS (actually the PA) today for dressing removal. Went great. Does anyone know more about the method of closing he did tho? Sutures underneath, mesh, and glue...?? No sutures or staples on top.
 
I have the same I go on Monday to have the dressing removed. Does you knee move better without the dressing
 
This article explains about various methods of wound closure:
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
I think it’s something different than than what’s in the article. I have no steristripes, stitches and or staples, and it’s not just glue. They kept making a big deal out of “mesh”. Something new, they’ve only done for 2 weeks. Know anything about the mesh?
 
@VonnieN Do you have that dressing that is really think and rubbery on the edge (yellowish-brown)and white in the middle? Waterproof too. It doesn’t really move any better without it:(. I’m actually more scared to bend it as I can now see it. The area over my kneecap looks great but the rest looks like it needs more knitting time and I’m leary of bending:(. But I guess it’s no different than how it’s been it’s just that I can see it. A mental thing I’ll have to get over today.
 
I think it’s something different than than what’s in the article. I have no steristripes, stitches and or staples, and it’s not just glue. They kept making a big deal out of “mesh”. Something new, they’ve only done for 2 weeks. Know anything about the mesh?
It's only the skin surface closure that will be different.

Here is a video about closure using mesh and glue:
 
It works OK for me.

Try searching on Google for something like "Wound closure mesh and glue". That video shows it and explains it well.
 
I will. Thank you. Have you heard of it being used much on people here on Bonesmart?
 
@VonnieN Do you have that dressing that is really think and rubbery on the edge (yellowish-brown)and white in the middle? Waterproof too. It doesn’t really move any better without it:(. I’m actually more scared to bend it as I can now see it. The area over my kneecap looks great but the rest looks like it needs more knitting time and I’m leary of bending:(. But I guess it’s no different than how it’s been it’s just that I can see it. A mental thing I’ll have to get over today.
Yes exactly the same mine comes off tomorrow which is three weeks after the surgery. I am sure it is a mental game we play in our heads. Today it feels better and thankfully as it is less than two weeks before I head back so it will have to be the good leg.
 
@Celle The video worked on my laptop:) :-) (: Looks interesting. Can't see any residual of it on my skin now-I guess the skin sloughed enough in two weeks to slough it off....? I do enjoy not having the pull of staples or sutures. But the sutures underneath have my skin are a little puckery looking at the top end. My mother in law said if she was sewing a dress and had puckered the stitches that much she would have ripped them out and redone them.:happydance:Gotta love family!! Do those puckers even out over time?
 
17 days post-op update...lots has changed/improved. I no longer hand assist my leg up onto bed or couch. It has gotten much stronger. I only use the CPM machine 1-3 hours a day. It loosens up the knee a bit, but I like the quad stretch it gives me the most. I don't push it to discomfort tho, like they want me too. I think on their plan I would be up to 120 by now, but I only have gone to 73. Straightening is close, slight bend. Walked with walker for 2 weeks. One morning I just got tired of it and carried it in front of me everywhere. Must have looked funny. Switched to crutches. After a day or 2 of those, I often leave them or just use one. I can do most house walking with nothing. Not that I'm trying to rush that at all, they just seem to be slowing me down and I walk pretty well. Definitely much less of a limp than pre-surgery. I eat! Meds haven't effected my appetite like they did last time. Using Percocet-1 every 4-6 hours. Still spend most of my day elevating/icing. Dr. mentioned he liked seeing my ankle bone, meaning I wasn't swollen much. Although things sound pretty good and people say I "look" good I have the to be expected low energy and brain fog going on. PT starts Monday-and I have requested a different one than I saw on Day 8. I haven't been back since, just been doing gentle stretches and usual home exercises, but minimally. I focus on walking correctly more than anything else, which I think has helped. My last knee replacement was vastly different in a bad way so I am enjoying that this has been a fairly quick uphill road in recovery.
 
I’m so glad this knee is going better for you! Gentle exercises early on really help make progress easier, I think. And yes about the walking. It feels wonderful not to limp anymore.
 
But the sutures underneath have my skin are a little puckery looking at the top end. My mother in law said if she was sewing a dress and had puckered the stitches that much she would have ripped them out and redone them.:happydance:Gotta love family!! Do those puckers even out over time?
Yes, they do even out as time passes. They were made like that on purpose (tell your mother in law!).
At the moment, they are still doing a good job of holding together some of the deeper tissues. They will dissolve gradually, and then the puckers will go.

Remember, we've told you that healing goes on under the skin surface for a long time. You aren't healed once your skin has healed, so those deeper sutures are still needed.
 
Well done. I will report on my thread my report to dr and physio. Glad all has gone well or better than the last one. Onward and upward.
 
So....went to PT today with my requested one and not the mean negative Nellie one. Lol. He massaged a looonng time. Felt sooo good. Did a few quad tightening exercises and one with the big roller ball. Then sent to ice with those magnificent icing cuffs. And that was it. I can do that.
 
Thanks for asking about the puckering. I have a deep one right at the bottom of my scar as well as a few al the way down. Had offended wondered if they would stay like that. Glad to hear you had a positive experience with your PT, they certainly can be meanies.
 
3 1/2 weeks down. Icing and elevating are still my mainstays. I do CPM 3 hours at the most, split into 2 sessions. Up to 82 today. I know it's old school, but the quad stretch I get from it seems to help, as my quads are very tight. My therapist also thinks I should continue with it, as he remembers the tough time I had bending with the last knee. I do the other regular stretching and tightening exercises, but don't over do them. Still have the nagging little voices in my head about ROM, driving me CRAZY. I feel a little double personalitied about that whole thing. Is that a word? Appetite and sleep is good. I've watched sooooo much TV. My husband suggested The Ozarks.....I watched the whole season one in 2 days:rotfl: I don't think he meant to do that. Have no interest in a book yet. Got outside today and cut off a few dead roses in my garden and couldn't find the basil or cilantro that I planted before surgery....but did see my dogs footprints....really? Why do they need to dig up my herbs? . Felt wonderful to move and be in the sun. I use my cane 50% of the time in the house during the day but still use the walker in the middle of the night. Having trouble fiddling with my pain meds. I feel I don't need Percocet during the day, so take Tylenol, but still need Percocet at bedtime and first thing in the morning. I think this will work for now. It was easier being on the Percocet every 4 or 6 hours, but noticing I'm not in that excruciating pain is nice. My only "worry" at this time is that darn ROM, but I push those thoughts away as best as I can.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom