Guest viewing is limited

THR And now the healing begins

It’s a special day…four months since your first hip replacement. Happy Four Month Anniversary! I hope you had fun yesterday on your outing to your hair appointment, and enjoyed your visit with, Sarah, and pizza with your daughter and SIL. I’ll bet it was a bit exhausting. With any luck you’re resting comfortably today and reflecting back on the fun of yesterday. Have a wonderful Sunday!
@wander03
 
@Layla Thank you for remembering my Four Month Anniversary. Chris (PT) was here yesterday morning before I went to Fayetteville. He looked at the hematoma and said, as Dr. Bradshaw did, that I don’t need to be concerned about it; that my body will eventually resorb it. He said the recovery of my left hip is more like he is used to seeing. He said he that the recovery of my right hip was outstanding; he doesn’t see many like that. He gave me sitting-down exercises that are supposed to facilitate the resorption of the hematoma. I hope they help.

I had a nice day yesterday. I was quite exhausted by the time I got home, but it was worth it. I got to spend time with Tamsin, the sweet Great Dane that I gave Jennifer and Pete 12 1/2 years ago. Tamsin has always loved her grandma (me) very much, and out time together yesterday was sweet. Her physical condition has been rapidly declining, she is almost blind, and she appears to have almost lost her hearing. She is ribs-showing thin, and nothing has worked to help her gain weight. So Tamsin is going over the rainbow bridge on Monday. Jennifer said they knew I was going to be there yesterday, so they waited until Tamsin and I could visit again before Tamsin makes her journey. It’s difficult, but we know it is the best thing to do for our dear great dame (not a typo). A headshot taken today after she had a hamburger is attached. She is so beautiful.

09E29767-1B15-43F8-9B5B-5B5020B1AE7E.jpeg
 
I'm glad that you shared Tamsin's picture.. she is indeed beautiful.

Your Friday sounds lovely, yet bittersweet. Hopefully it helped with the frustrations of your recovery.
You've been through a lot and soon it will only be a memory. :flwrysmile:
 
Aww, the poor sweet girl. I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye to your Great Dane friend, but letting go when you know it’s time is the most loving thing you can do for Tamsin. I hope you find comfort in the memories you have from your time together. Sending a warm hug :console2:

On a lighter note, it’s great that you were able to enjoy the day yesterday in light of the sad news. I hope the reassurance you continue to receive regarding the hematoma is easing your mind. It’s nice PT, Chris, gave you some exercises to help with reabsorption. I hope you enjoyed a peaceful restful day.
@wander03
 
So happy you enjoyed your day, bittersweet as it was with news of Tamsin.
Those busy days are exhausting though, aren't they? We look forward to being busy then so nice to get home and relax once again.
Wishing you and your family peace as Tamsin makes her rainbow bridge journey. It's so difficult.
Much love
 
My second/left THR was four weeks ago today. Another milestone. I can tell that my stamina is improving. Improving slowly, but improving. The hematoma seems to be slightly decreasing in size, so that is good. Although I definitely prefer the smooth, no-problems recovery of my right THR, I appreciate the incremental progress of this one. Patience has never been one of my virtues, but I am certainly having ample opportunity to develop patience now. I think we continue to have opportunities to develop virtues until we do so. Progress is one step at a time.
 
It’s difficult when the first recovery was better than the second. As much as we’re cautioned not to compare…we still do. Its natural. The benefit of a good recovery the first time is you may go into your second surgery with less anxiety. Also, it would be difficult to schedule a second surgery if the first recovery was brutal.
I guess our only option is to adjust to our present circumstances, which it seems you have, understanding the situation is only temporary.

I‘m glad to read the hematoma is somewhat receding and that your stamina has improved. Another week will have you feeling even stronger and steadier on your feet.
I hope this week is a good one!
@wander03
 
Hi wander,
One month in...how are you feeling? I hope the week is off to a good start.
Hopefully the hematoma continues to recede and you're feeling less troubled by it.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a great day!
@wander03
 
@Layla One month; it seems like the longest month of my life. My PTs tell me I am doing well. I feel like I’m in limbo, just waiting for life to continue. As the Earth continues to rotate, I continue to breathe, and wait. And life goes on.
 
I can imagine. I'm sorry this is a rougher recovery for you. I have every confidence you'll get there though.
What you said above reminds me of something silly my husband often says "Its a good day if you wake up breathing!" It makes me chuckle every time he says that because I don't think you'd be waking up, if you weren't breathing!
 
Oh, @wander03 :console2:
You've certainly been through a lot in the last few years...the time in pain before your joint replacements and then 3 of those!...and I'm sure you must be tired of the "hurry up and wait" of it all.
This summer has also been brutal for a lot of us with the heat.:nah:
This fall should be super sweet as you will be further along and able to enjoy getting outdoors.
Big hugs for a better day today.
 
Chris was here this afternoon for my physical therapy. I have done the isometric exercises he gave me last week every day, particularly since they are supposed to facilitate the resorption of the hematoma. Chris confirmed what I thought; that the hematoma has gotten a bit smaller and is not as firm as it was. Progress. Slow, but progress. Because the exercises seemed to have become so easy for me, the level is stepped up a bit. But I’m still not pushing hard. Monday will be five weeks, so I’m feeling more comfortable with doing some PT.

I asked about using my recumbent bike. Chris said I could have used it earlier, but since I am so conservative with my PT, he is more conservative in what he plans for me. Chris adjusted the seat so that I will have maximum benefit for my knees. My main purpose for using the recumbent bike at this time is to increase the flexibility of my right knee. I plan to continue to use it for exercise after formal physical therapy is concluded, but right now increasing the flexibility in my right knee is important because I need to do so to be able to walk without a cane or hiking stick. I have five more sessions scheduled, one each of the next three weeks and two the next week, one of the two being an assessment like today. Chris said he thinks I will be able to walk unassisted by then based on the progress I’ve made, but if I need more time, he will get an extension.

I sent Joel an email about starting back to work on Monday for four to six hours a day if he has work available. I said I might be able to work more hours some days, but I don’t want to over commit. I think it would be nice to work some but not overdo it.

Onward and upward.
 
Joel said they are ready for me to start working again. I start on Monday. He agreed to my working fewer than eight hours a day if I want to do so. It will be nice to have some extra money and start savings for some travel next summer.
 
Wonderful! It’s nice to feel normal again, right?
You’re no stranger to the recovery process so I’m sure you know how to rest and pace yourself, when needed.
Have a nice weekend.
 
Great to have work that allows flexibility in scheduling, even how many hours a day one works!
 
@NextStep I realize how fortunate I am to work out of my home office and choose when I want to work. Of course I have to produce results, but that’s not a problem. Some might consider having to work evenings sometimes to contact the people I need to talk with a drawback, but to me it’s worth the tradeoff of having so much flexibility.
 
You're lucky to have that flexibility with your job. I bet it will feel good to be productive once again. Baby steps back to normal life. Enjoy the weekend and best wishes easing back into your routine.
Let us know how it goes. :)
@wander03
 
So back to work, no more goofing off!!! I worked 11 hours yesterday in ungodly heat!! I am a little stiff when I first get up but otherwise I am fine!!!

On Saturday I will work a Kenny Chesny concert (ugh)!! The big concerts we work from 7 am - 1 am!!! Everyone is nice at work and I do get to sit some of the day, so it will be fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom