THR And now the healing begins

@Jaycey Had I known my post would not be moved to the pre-op thread of @Beejust when she sets it up, I would not have made the post. Thanks for letting me know where you put it and why. I’ll know not to make such posts in the future. My preference would be that you delete my post.
 
It's fine to have a conversation here. That thread is just for listing members of the August group. Please do continue to update on your recovery here!
 
I get a bit discouraged at times. I am 2 weeks and 3 days post surgery and still unable to comfortably walk without assistance. My left hip is still a bit wonky, and I don’t think I could walk unassisted for any length of time. The added difficulty with the tension that still exists in my right knee is very frustrating. I have told my physical therapists about the tension in my right knee, but it does not appear that anything can be done to alleviate the tightness. When I walk with a cane when I am out, it’s a toss up as to which hand to hold the cane in. I need it in my right hand for my left hip, but I also need it in my left hand for my right knee. A walker resolves that problem. but it is more convenient to use a cane when away from home.

I will mention the tension in my right knee to the OS during my one-year check-in on Tuesday, as I have done each time I’ve seen him. And, as always, I‘m quite sure he will observe that my knee looks really good, moves freely, and bends well. And those things are true. I still have the hope that in time, when I can walk normally after my hips are fully recovered, my knee will loosen up. Hope seems to be all I have at this point.
 
@wander03 I was able to walk without aids (and for a limited number of steps) only a few days ago, and I am at the 6 week mark!

Today I can walk without aids for a longer distance within my apartment. After a while I start experiencing discomfort in my left (operated) hip, and that is when I pick up my cane. Am doing this (attempting walking without aids) a few times a day. Have noticed that I can walk for more steps without discomfort each day.

Hope your appointment on Tuesday goes well!!!
 
Oh wander, I am sure you do get discouraged. It is very normal, but I'm guessing reading that doesn't help matters much. You've had a lot of changes in a short amount of time.

Just look at your signature on your post above.
You are barely 4 months with right hip-- less than 3 weeks with left--then almost a year for the knee!For what it's worth, I think your body is doing so well.

It's easy for me to say but it needs to be voiced, please give yourself some grace.. you have handled all of your surgeries very well.:console2:

With my second hip I had a few ups and down and spent much longer needing a cane or walker than with the first hip. I didn't like using the walker when going out so I opted for two canes.. I wonder if that would help you?
It's just a thought, maybe you don't mind the walker.. I felt more normal with 2 canes.
 
@Boofit @CricketHip Thank you for your encouragement. I seem to handle things quite well most of the time, but once in a while, I don’t. This is one of the once in a whiles. I need to remind myself that “This, too, shall pass.” And I know it will. But some days …
 
Understandable. Well, this is a good place to vent. Yes, it will pass and then there will be no stopping you!
 
Aww, I’m sorry you’re feeling discouraged. Please do contemplate that you had three major surgeries within a little less than a year. That’s three recoveries and you’ve only reached the one year post op point for one of them.

Your body has been in healing mode for a full year and before this all began I’m guessing you suffered pain as all three joints deteriorated, this most likely went on for years. That is a whole lot of not feeling like your best self.

I think you deserve this rest period and your slow and easy approach will get you there. You’re doing well. It would seem your alignment and gait has been out of whack for quite sometime as you took turns favoring legs while your joints deteriorated.

Hopefully you’ll receive some reassurance from your surgeon on Tuesday. Time will most likely be the cure and sadly we can’t rush time. Hang in there, I’m sure brighter days are on the way.

Hugs and best wishes for a nice weekend and good visit with your OS on Tuesday. :console2:
@wander03
 
Please do contemplate that you had three major surgeries within a little less than a year. That’s three recoveries and you’ve only reached the one year post op point for one of them.
@wander03 I echo what Layla said. 3 major surgeries in less than a year is no laughing matter...

Do be patient in your recovery - this too shall pass as you so rightly point out.

Hugs from Hong Kong!:friends:
 
And the saga continues. I told Jennifer today that it seems this recovery is jinxed from my being overdosed with drugs in the recovery room to now having a seroma or hematoma at the incision site. How lucky can one person be?! :what:

Thursday I noticed an area around the incision that is like a pouch; like a bag filled with fluid. I didn’t think I had that situation with my first hip replacement. Jennifer and Pete came down today, and I conferred with Jennifer. She did some research, and the research indicated that I might have a seroma or hematoma. After they had been here for a short while, Jennifer and I observed the area was warm to the touch, so we decided I should call Dr. Bradshaw’s office. The answering service connected me to a nurse who said it sounds to her like I have a hematoma. I think it appears more like a seroma, but the treatment for both seems to be the same. The nurse said to compress the area by wrapping it with an ace bandage, to alternate using ice and heat on it, and to take ibuprofen. If the situation has not improved by Monday morning, I am to call Dr. Bradshaw’s office. The nurse is trying to keep me out of the ER, and I am all for that! The research says that sometimes the seroma or hematoma will eventually reabsorb on irs own; other times it needs to be drained. I have a feeling I will be calling on Monday morning.

Before we went to Baskin-Robbins to get double-dip waffle ice cream cones, we stopped by Walmart where Jennifer and Pete went in and purchased ace bandages, a digital thermometer (all I had was an old mercury one), and Happy. A photo of Happy is attached. He is good company. Jennifer wrapped the incision area, and I have started alternating ice and heat.

I think it is interesting that the research indicates that exercise can be a cause of the formation of a seroma or hematoma. I did conservative physical therapy with Daniel on Wednesday and did one-half of the repetitions on Thursday. I won’t be doing any more physical therapy for the time being. I thought I was making a good compromise by doing it conservatively, but now I think physical therapy of any kind is questionable. Who wants to say, “We told you so!”?

Has anyone else had a seroma or hematoma form at the incision site and, if so, did it reabsorb on its own or did it have to be drained or otherwise removed? What advice do you have? This is not fun. :eeeuw:

63F8BA17-9D45-4655-A3C8-6D7BD6E0D8E5.jpeg
 
I’m so sorry, wander. These bumps along the way can be so frustrating. This does happen sometimes after surgery. I have read of it here many times over the years. It‘s usually not a problem if they’re not large. I believe the body often naturally reabsorbs hematomas and seromas resolving the issue without treatment. Be aware though, It can take time. I would recommend you touch base with your surgeon’s office on Monday for advice and reassurance. It will be worth the peace of mind.

Happy is cute, give him some cuddles, relax and have a peaceful evening. Everything will be alright. :friends:
Hugs
@wander03
 
If you use the SEARCH at the top of the page and type in Seroma or Hematoma the threads where it’s been mentioned should pop up.
 
Hi, all. I’m @wander03 ’s daughter, Jennifer, and I wanted to thank you all for your kindness and generosity with my Mom. You’ve helped her so much (and continue to help her daily), so I thought I’d pop in and say THANKS! l:loveshwr:
 
Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer.
Your mom is lucky to have you and your hubs watching over her.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :)
@Oboogie
 
@Layla I will search for seroma and hematoma. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Thanks!

@Oboogie Thank you for stopping by. :welome: And what you said is definitely true.
 
Hi @Oboogie nice to meet you and you are welcome.

Wander, I agree with Layla and think this will be a small bump ( no pun intended) in the road.. which are to be expected post op.
I don't know of anyone whose seroma didn't alleviate over time. I like the advice you received from the nurse on call. I would add some Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) techniques to help move any fluid. I think you made note of them from another thread, but if I'm wrong let me know and will post them here for you. MLD can be very beneficial for for this.

Hang in there. :console2:
 
Last edited:
@CricketHip A while ago, in another thread, you referred to the MLD technique as an aid to sleeping. I printed the information in case I needed it to go to sleep sometime. I haven’t needed it for sleep, but I will try it to help move some of the fluid. Thank you!
 
MLD usually offers the added perk of sleepiness/relation. It's not the main goal.
 
I have an appointment to see Dr. Bradshaw about the pouch-like area around the incision at 1:00 PM tomorrow and will see Dr. Evans for the one-year knee replacement check-up at 3:10 PM. I‘ll be glad to know what is causing the apparent fluid build up around the incision.
 
Back
Top Bottom