TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

I know what you mean, it was a rainy weekend. I don't understand why, but damp weather, rainy weather and cold weather all cause pain with my knees and jaw. My jaw is the worst in the cold weather, I can feel the metal that is in my face when there is a cold wind. My surgeon told me that would be an issue before my jaw was replaced. I think it is just one of those things. I try to check the aches and pain forecast online (accuweather) to plan what I need to do outside in the winter. It isn't always accurate but it does help.
If anyone knows why this happens I would love to understand it.
Greda
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Hi Greda ... My surgeon told me that a change in the barometric pressure, like when it's going to rain, causes the surrounding tissue to swell; thus, the OUCH. My knee has been so bad today that I had to take a Vicodin. I have not taken one of them for at least 2 months, but today I relented. It did help, but didn't take it all away, but I can live with this. I couldn't even sleep last night. I'm supposed to be driving to visit my 2 daughters and their families this Saturday for a week - it's a 4 hour drive. I know I'll have to get out frequently to move around and walk .... I just hope I don't have this pain. Thanks for listening.
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Abby,
I have heard barametic pressure plays a role. Have you checked the weather forecast for your trip? I hope you feel better. I have to drive or ride quite a bit because I live in a rural area. I would recommend taking something so you can ice your knee on the trip. I take the polar care with me and use the adapter to plug into the cig. lighter. I have used gel packs too.
I hope to have a nice trip and nice weather too.
Greda
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

I can honestly say now that my knees are not effected by the weather; however, looking where you are in your recovery, I can believe that your soft tissue and the surgical area around the knee could still be effected by what the barometer is doing.

The further removed you are from surgery, the less the weather may effect it. I can tell when the weather is about to change due to my sinuses, but now, my knees are doing fine and not acting like weather predictors. Hang in there, this should not bother you much at all (if any) down the road.
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

We're to have rain all week here ..... oh my. I have so much to do before I leave Saturday. I have a girlfriend coming Friday to take care of "my Zoo" while I'm gone - a dog and 2 cats - and I've got to get the bedroom ready for her, clean the bathroom, grocery shop for the things she likes. I'm just going to tackle one thing at a time .... today it's the bedroom and bathroom.
I'm wondering now what winter is going to be like with the cold temps. and the either cold rain, snow, or ice. I dread the thought of it .... I'm not a winter lover in the best of times anyhow.
abby
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Abby,
I have heard barametic pressure plays a role.
Greda

Absolutely right, Greda. It's not rain or temperature, it's just that low pressure (depressions) normally bring bad weather.

In low pressure, the low pressure causes our cells to expand followed by release of fluid to take them back to normal size. But the cells which are damaged in the op site are scarred, so they can't release fluid. So they increase in pressure, hence the discomfort
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Tykey
That is something I have never heard. I wonder why my jaw bothers me so much with a change in weather rain or cold. I have if anyone is interested a new joint from www.tmjconcepts.com put in 2 years ago.In 2002 I also had my top jaw was surgrically broken and realigned with metal plates. Today the weather is nice but we care getting a cold front tomorrow and I can feel it and not in a good way.
I appreciate all the information.
Greda
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Tykey ..... thanks so much for the more detailed explanation. That really makes a lot of sense. The barometric pressure today here is 30 .... that seems pretty high to me.
abby
RTKR 5/24/11
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

29.92 is the average pressure, I guess that the effect will be even worse when it's dropping rather than rising
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Slightly off topic, but sort of related....

How does altitude affect matters of swelling? I love at about 5500' and it is something that has crossed my mind. (I have only begun to slightly master baking here after 6 years!)
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

The higher the altitude, the more likely your body may be to retain water. But this type of water retention is not the same as the swelling you might get following surgery. Swelling in your knee or hip is the result of inflammation and so I doubt there would be much difference even at a higher altitude.
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

The higher the altitude, the more likely your body may be to retain water. But this type of water retention is not the same as the swelling you might get following surgery. Swelling in your knee or hip is the result of inflammation and so I doubt there would be much difference even at a higher altitude.

Really good to hear!! :ThankYou:
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Slightly off topic, but sort of related....

How does altitude affect matters of swelling? I love at about 5500' and it is something that has crossed my mind. (I have only begun to slightly master baking here after 6 years!)

Kat, I'm at 7700 ft. Still haven't mastered baking here.
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Didn't anybody get my joke of posting the song "Rainy Days and Mondays"? I though I was so clever, since it was Monday and all. Went over like a lead balloon! ;)
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Oh for shame! It never clicked! Sometimes you have to spell things out for us wrinklies! :hysterical:
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Oh for shame! It never clicked! Sometimes you have to spell things out for us wrinklies! :hysterical:

I guess so! I was so disappointed that it got no reaction at all! I thought I was such a smartie pants!
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Rain, Rain, go away!
Oh please go away! I had to call my doctor yesterday for Vicodin ... I have not taken that for 2 months until the other night ... I am SO careful with all things narcotic because of a family history of drug and alcohol addiction (parents, grandparents, uncle), but sometimes it's just so painful it's the only thing that works.
Today and tomorrow we're to have rain and thunderstorms, Friday and Sat. look much better - I'm so glad because Saturday I drive to the mountains of VA.
My knee also gets hot feeling when it hurts and swells like this .... reminds me of way back shortly after I had it done.
I guess I'm not patient enough with myself (I've been told that by my doctor). He's told me this was a major surgery and I need to allow myself at least a year or maybe more to fully heal. I got that speech when I called sheepishly for the Vicodin ... he said " you need to take them when you need them." OK, I hear him. Sigh .....................
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Didn't anybody get my joke of posting the song "Rainy Days and Mondays"? I though I was so clever, since it was Monday and all. Went over like a lead balloon! ;)

It was Tuesday when I read it. I never even looked when it was posted. :th_heehee:

Abby, listen to your doctor and be patient with yourself! I hope the weather improves for you. (And yes, I give you permission to remind me of the same when it is my turn. :snork: )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom