Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to hear you are being so well taken care of by the doctor and the rehab place. Onward to recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone .... I'm sorry it's been so long in writing for me .... I had a bit of computer problems, which Jamie was kind enough to help me with.
I honestly don't know what I've told you so forgive me if I repeat myself. I am on a picc line for 5 weeks for some type of infection. The infectious disease specialist told me it was not moving, nor growing, so she felt it was dead, but since it was nothing to fool with she wanted me to have this antibiotic ..... a strong one, which makes me feel queezy. I've got 3 more weeks of it and I can't leave the rehab/nursing home until it's finished. I had to do a bit of mental adjusting to that. But, it's worth it, even though it feels long, to be sure it's gone. I've written down the name of the "bug" and the antibiotic, but I'm not going to research them til I'm over this ..... my mind will have me dead!
Their P.T. here is a killer ..... wow. I don't think I've ever had P.T. this rough before - 1-1/2 hours every day. I come back here, eat lunch, and sleep.
I'll be glad to get home, but this place is really nice .... clean, good food, and a wonderful staff.
So, that's about it. I miss my kids, but they've been very sweet in visiting .... including my girls who live 3-4 hours away.
Talk to you all later.
abby
Revision - 8/19/2004
 
Hang in there Abby! I am glad to hear from you and very glad you are getting the care you need! You will be ready for a real triathlon with all that PT!

Take care and post when you can

(((Hugs)))
 
Hang in there, Abby!

I'm sorry that you have some sort of nasty bug - at least they are treating it. One good thing: you should be able to manage pretty well around the house by the time you get home!

And don't let that PT hurt you. Tell him/her not to be so rough. Remember that it's gentle exercise that will help.
 
Good to hear from you Abby,
Sorry you have to stay a couple of weeks longer, but glad you are getting the possible infection under control before it could cause any problem.
Hour and a half, that is a lot. Make sure they take it easy, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Keep us posted when you are able.
 
Hi all .... yes, that's what I thought too. My P.T. whom I went to at home always said, "push up to the pain, but not passed it." That doesn't seem to be the case here, but I'm already passed 90 degrees and the flat out 180 degrees, so I guess it's worth it. But I'm really tired when I get back here.
My son is coming today with some things I need ..... some long, summer weight pj bottoms, since 3 pairs of my shorts "grew legs and walked away" in the hospital, so I'm left with only 2. Fortunately I can use a washing machine here. I asked one of the nurses if there was anything I could take or do for the queezyness I'm getting from the antibiotic. I imagine they must call the doctor for his approval which could be Monday. So, I'm drinking flat coke or ginger ale and saltines. My knee seems to be doing great ..... I'm starting to use a cane, and everything I learned before about how to use one, is totally opposite from what they are telling me. ?????
Oh well.
Good to be back with you all .... see you soon.
abby
Revision 8/19/2014
 
That doesn't seem to be the case here, but I'm already passed 90 degrees and the flat out 180 degrees, so I guess it's worth it.
No it isn't. You would have got there on your own without all that pain and effort. Very bad!
 
Abby.....be sure to follow the same recovery mantra as you had with your initial TKR.....lots of rest, icing, elevating and pain meds on a schedule. It's okay to move your knee just to the point of discomfort, but if you find yourself hurting after this extended therapy, then you'll need to ask them to slow it down.

If I may ask....could you please modify your signature so that your revision date is there? That will keep you from having to type it into each of your posts.

Hang in there, hon.....this will pass and you'll be home soon.
 
Hi Jamie and Josephine ..... I really do appreciate your input and ask for some more if you have time. This is the deal .... I can use ice when I ask for it, there is no elevation - the P.T. prefers it to be flat so that it slowly stretches out the muscles, I only get a pain med. if I ask for it which I do before P.T., and the P.T. cannot understand why I am tired. This is totally opposite of the way I was told before. They're "weaning" me off of the pain meds, so now I only get 1, before P.T. If I need another later in the day, they won't give it to me unless the pain is above a 6. It's a bit tough, but being one not to complain, I have not said anything because I'm not sure just what to say. They are the "professionals" and have their "rules." For the queesyness in my stomach they give me a dose of Milk of Magnesia, which works, but I can only have one of them a day also. This antibiotic is really strong and going half the day like this is not much fun.
One last thing .... could you tell me how to modify my signature? I honestly don't know how to do that. Many thanks to both of you.
abby
revision - 8/19/2014
 
One other thing ..... whomever the "dear" person was who put the tubes down my throat during surgery, totally messed up my top teeth. On the left side I had a removable bridge, which of course you must take out for surgery. Well, now that whole area is sore and the 2 posts are GONE! On the other side, the top right eye tooth is so broken that it moves and the front lifts up from the back! They have me on "soft" food here because of these things. I've made an appt. with my dentist, hopefully by that time I can drive. I'd be a good candidate for "Turtleman" on Animal Planet! I'm not sure what to do ..... I don't have dental insurance because I go to the dentist I used to work for and he really cuts me a break, but I'm sure this is going to cost $$. I wouldn't doubt if they all had to come out. I don't know who did this, but it feels to me that they should pay for it, or at least part of it. Am I off base here? I know they cover for each other, but this seems above and beyond .... he/she must have really been careless in inserting the tubes.
I'd appreciate any input from you all. Thanks so much.
abby
revision - 8/19/2014
 
Hmmmmmm ....... I talked to the P.T. this morning when I was with her and, not using names, groups, etc., that things seem to have changed in the 3 years since I had the original TKR. I told her that at that point we were to keep the knee elevated, take the med. on a schedule, use ice, and for some reason "rest" is something we need to be able to do without it being seen as something we needed to stop needing at some point.
She told me that "things have changed."
Interesting .......
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom