TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this typical?

Hi to all you TKR-ers ..... I have a question. I had my RTKR on May 24. Since then I've done extremely well, hitting 110 degrees in bending and totally flat when my leg was straight out on the table. I am finding if I overdo it for several days - like too many errands, too many steps (I won't take elevators and some of the appts. I go to are on the 4th floor), I really pay for it. This weekend was awful. the outside of my knee hurt like crazy, and behind my knee also. I tried ice, Advil, Excedrin, and Bufferin - nothing worked. Finally yesterday, to make it to church I had to take 1/2 Vicodin - that worked. I see my surgeon this coming Weds. and I don't know if this is typical or not, and, I don't know if I should ask for more of the Vicodin for these times or not. I have always been super careful about taking them - often not taking them when I should have, and I don't want him to think I'm asking for something I shouldn't have. I guess it comes down to, I don't know what "normal" is. This morning it's better, but sure not like it was - I've had days when I could hardly tell I'd had anything done, and then this. The weather has also been humid and rainy and I think that affects this too.
Any advice or input would be appreciated. Many thanks ....
abby
Frederick, MD
 
Re: ~ is this typical? ~

Hi, don't worry, you sound quite normal, but it keeps gradually improving. Just keep trying to limit your activities a bit.

I'm not sure what bufferin is, but you should concentrate on using nsaids at this stage, to reduce the inflammation, not just trying to mask it with painkillers.
 
Re: ~ is this typical? ~

Hi there ... thanks for confirming my normalcy with this. Bufferin is an Nsaid .... it's a coated aspirin which has been around for years and years. I found Advil was causing me acid reflux, so I switched to Bufferin. Aleve didn't seem to do anything at all for me.
Thanks again,
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: ~ is this typical? ~

This has been so typical of what I have experienced. I'm 3 weeks out. I am trying to balance between increasing stamina for increasing daily activities and dealing with the stiffness and pain (especially behind the knee and inside of knee. I'm still icing but still need pain meds about every 5-6 hours. I don't think it is out of line to ask the doctor for more meds in case you need them. Two steps forward, 1 step backward seems to be my pattern. Good luck!
 
Re: ~ is this typical? ~

Well, Amber....you are not yet 3 months out from your surgery. The pain you are experiencing is a normal result of pushing yourself too hard for this point. Your muscles and soft tissues just aren't ready for this level of activity yet. My advice would be to slow it down a bit. It is quite normal to have pain when you push as long as 6 months or even a year after surgery. It just means you have done too much and your body's letting you know.
 
Re: Is this typical?

I fully agree with Jamie. Too much far too soon!
 
Re: Is this typical?

I'm right there with you. I went to open house at my daughter's school the other day and I came home in pain and exhausted. It took me a good day to recover. I figured my body is telling me when I overdo it and I need to listen. Fortunately for me, I'm off work right now so I am able to recover :wink2:. Take it easy!
 
Released from P.T.

Good morning everyone. Yesterday I was at my 14th session of P.T. and my therapist wrote a letter to give to my doctor stating that, unless he felt otherwise, I was released from anymore P.T. that I was doing so well. She also told him that my biggest problem was not pacing myself and overdoing it, and the next few days I "pay" for that with a lot of pain. Otherwise, I'm doing really well, although I still get tired and take a nap every day, either AM or afternoon.
I am delighted, but I know when I see my doctor tomorrow he will give me the "pace yourself" lecture (again). I think this is something I need to literally learn as I've always been one of those people that when there's things to do, just get it done, pronto. Not so anymore, at least not right now.
For all you who are just starting P.T., take heart ..... yes, that first month can be a killer, but it does get easier ..... just stick with it and you'll be amazed how well you can do. :dancy:
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

Good for you. Your recovery seems to be going really well. I'm 13 weeks out and also finished with PT but only because my insurance stopped me. I've been back to work (desk job) for 6 weeks but I am still having issues with stairs. What's your secret?
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

That is indeed a big step forward! Congratulations! Yep, you will learn to pace yourself and then there will be no need for the pacing---you will be doing just fine!
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

Hi mbernie .... no secret here except a lot of hard work in recovery, just like I'm sure you did. I'm on Medicare and a supplement so they basically paid for it. Steps still are a bit tough - going down especially. Going up is pretty easy. Some days going down are really difficult especially if it's raining. My neighbor and I joke that we're better weather predictors than the folks on TV! Also, on the weeks I feel really good, I tend to overdo it. Well, then for about 3 days I really pay for that......... pain on the lateral side (where he had to take the most real bone off), down the lateral side of my calf, and in the back of my knee. Somehow I've got to learn just how to pace myself, but at 66, it's a bit tough. When I feel good I tend to "make hay while the sunshines." (I'm from PA Dutch Country originally!).
I've heard from others that it can take up to a year to feel normal most of the time, so I think both you and I are doing well. Now if someone would just help me with "pacing myself." :hissyfit: Take care ....
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

I'll second that "pace yourself" speech. But I'm thrilled to hear how well you're doing. Keep up the great work.
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

Hi amberpep,

I to tried to be the first horse out of the gate in the first few weeks of PT. Quickly learned that all I was doing was causing myself more pain and that rehab would just take longer, so I've devised my own system and one day I ride my bike, one day I do houselhold chores, and one day I do my exercises, this seems to work well for me with out so much pain and swelling.

I am a very impatient person and wanted everything better right away, I soon learned from the people here that I needed to dig deep and find some. This I have done, and it is making things much easier.
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

Hi amberpep,
I am a very impatient person and wanted everything better right away, I soon learned from the people here that I needed to dig deep and find some. This I have done, and it is making things much easier.

Ah, Grasshopper! We must be Patient!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Amberpep's Recovery Thread


You are learning the ways to make the recovery easier.

You are exactly correct; by digging deep and learning not to overdo things, you are actually making more progress with less pain and frustration!
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

LOVE the picture of you on the sofa with your furpets around and on you! That's great!
abby
5/24/11:yes 4:
 
Re: ~ released from P.T. ~

The chocolate lab at my feet passed away two Easters ago at the age of twelve---a gentler dog never lived. The chocolate guy sleeping on me is actually a "chocolate retriever"---1/2 chocolate lab, 1/2 golden retriever; we rescued him from a"shelter" that was about to gas him at nine weeks of age. I also have a black lab and a yellow lab that we rescued from Chillicothe, Missouri.
 
Re: Released from P.T.

amberpep, I merged all your three threads together. Please can you keep all your posts about your own recovery in here from now on. Don't keep starting new threads. That way we can keep tabs on your progress and story. okay?

Plus, could you please not put there ~ either side of a thread title as it then won't show up if someone does a thread search.
 
Discharged by doctor today

Today I saw my surgeon and he has discharged me; he wants to see me next year. And, this week my P.T. also discharged me. I asked my doctor if I could whitewater raft again, and he said "absolutely." I am SO happy about that. That is my favorite sport!
This has turned out so well, I can't believe it. After all the horror stories people told me before I had it done, I went into it completely determined to do the tough work of recovery with my full self, and it worked. The first month was awful, but it got easier. I cannot believe it. I feel so very blessed. :yay:
abby
RTKR 5/24/11
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom