TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Abby
I hope the weather gets better for you. I know you are looking forward to your trip. Take your meds and take care of yourself.
Greda
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

You have a very smart doctor there, Abby.....listen to him and be kind to yourself.
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

He is an excellent surgeon and he did a fantastic job. The x-rays he has taken since the surgery show it is perfectly aligned. But, he's right, I do tend to get very impatient with myself .... once I feel good for several days I think "oh, I'm fine now" and just go right back at everything as per normal. Big Mistake! Then you add rain and low barometric pressure and, well, I wind up with what I had the other night ..... it was like I'd just had it done.
Guess I'd better behave and remember that it's only been 4 months. :cat-kittyandsmiley:
abby
5/24/11
 
Just got home from first trip

Both of my daughters live 4 hours from here. It's been a year since I've seen one of them - the other came up several times after my surgery to help. Well, they both live in the Mountains of the Blue Ridge (beautiful), but it rained, was windy, and very cold (35 at night). One day I spent the entire day with one of my girls running errands - grocery store, took a dog to the Vet., picked up a few things at the local Farmer's Co-Op (they raise llamas). Well, when we got back to her house, I could hardly get out of the car, and the pain in my knee was excruciating ... I took a Vicodin, but by that time the pain was way ahead of the med. This particular daughter "doesn't understand why I'm not over it yet." And, she is a geriatric social worker???? She's also the one that I had not seen for a year - it was as though I had a splinter taken out of my finger.
I had my surgery May 24, and my stamina is still not there but overdoing it, plus the weather, really makes a huge impact on my knee .... major pain. I'm going to a gym and doing gentle things - recumbent bike, treadmill, upper body things and I guess I didn't anticipate having this much difficulty. It was discouraging.
I came home yesterday - a 4 hour drive and I am totally exhausted. Slept well all night and after lunch I'm taking a nap. I am so tired.
Thanks for listening everyone. :hairpulling:
abby
RTKR - 5/24/11
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

How nice that you got to go and visit your daughters. I am sorry you are hurting so much now. If I have learned one thing, it is this. Your recovery is your own. It is your experience and no one, not even those who have had this surgery, can tell you how you feel. Your pain and fatigue is valid because it is what you feel. Put your feet up, ice your knee and know that you have come very far. The next adventure will be better.
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

Abby, I have merged three of your threads together for continuity. It helps me to be able to see what's been said before. It would be much appreciated if you would keep posts about your own recovery in this one thread. Thanks, hun!

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

Well, that ugly Fall/Winter weather has begun here where I live. When I went out to take my dog for a walk this morning, it was a gray, cloudy, soon-to-rain day with a temp. of 40, and it was almost immediate gloom for me. I really hate cold weather, and the cold rain and snow that comes with it and have always wished I could go somewhere warm for Winter, but unfortunately, as with a lot of folks, it's not in my budget. As I walked my Molly I realized how much my knee was hurting and as I continued to walk it did not improve. I've taken 2 Bufferin, and my girlfriend came up with a great idea - cut the foot off of a sock and put it up over my knee for warmth and "cozy." So, I rubbed Biofreeze on my knee (I don't think that works as well for bone as it does for muscles) and put the sock over my knee. It did feel good, but is not very long. I'm going to go on e-bay and see if I can find an old, cheap pair of leg warmers (remember them?) from years ago. That should work.
Anyhow, winter is coming and I'm digging my nails into the ceiling not knowing what to expect with my knee .... it's tough enough dealing with the SAD, but now this too. UGH. Thanks for listening.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

I'm sorry the weather is getting you down ~hugs to you~

If you want to find some leg warmers, look for a place that sells to dancers - they still wear them!
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

I saw my Internist today .... she wanted to see me after my TKR surgery and after my Physical Therapy was over. It's been 4 months and I saw her today. She told me that she had never seen a knee look so good in only 4 months .... she was amazed at my ability to bend my knee to 115 degrees and straighten it out completely flat. So, despite the pain I have, which gets lots worse when it's rainy and cold, it felt good to hear her say that. It was very encouraging. :yes 4:
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

Well, that's a great report, Abby!!! Good for you!
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

Well done Abby, you have obviously been doing exactly the right things for your knee to have healed so well, but obviously you are going to be one of the many that can tell the weather from the state of your knee!! Leg warmers doubled over sound just the thing to keep them warmer when you are out walking the dog, etc. so happy hunting for them!:thumb:
 
Re: Just got home from first trip

Hi Aretha .... yes, my neighbor and I joke that we should start our own weather reporting system! We both are greatly affected by the weather, and not in a good way. I found a pair of knitted leg warmers on e-bay and just thinking about it sounds cozy. I'm looking forward to getting them and wearing them when it gets colder and (ugh) snowy.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Question about steps

Hi everyone. I had my RTKR on May 24, and I've done quite well with it. Sure, it's "cranky" but the doctor says it could take a year or more for me not to feel any discomfort. I have a few questions to ask you all ....

1 - how long does it take before going down steps does not hurt? I go sideways because it seems to go easier. I go to a gym 3x a week - mostly stationary bike and eliptical or treadmill and some upper body training on a machine, but the discomfort going down the steps is making me wonder "why."

2 - I have used one of those Glucosamine/Chondroiton mixtures to help alleviate any other joint discomfort, but I was not sure they did anything. Well, it was recommended to me to try something called Neo-Cell Collagen + C. Some folks rave about it, so I sent for a bottle. It calls for 6 a day (I've been taking 4 because they are horse size pills and not coated at all). I've only taken them for 2 weeks and I know that's not very long. Have any of you taken this and if you have, is it effective? Is there anything you have found effective?

Thanks so much everyone .... I appreciate your replies.
abby
RTKR-5/24/2011
 
Re: Question about steps

Hi Abby, there is really no time frame for anyone being able to tackle stairs. Just keep trying. Your gym work with help to build those muscles you need for the stairs.

There has been lots of discussion about Glucosamine/Chondroiton. Some swear by it. Others (like me) have tried it and see absolutely no results. I found it a very expensive experiment! But perhaps others will chime in with better results.
 
Re: Question about steps

Hi Abby, very good question on steps. I discovered this problem after my first operation. I went up the stairs in our house for the first time, got to the top and turned around, thought this might not have been a good thing to do. Yikes!
What I discovered is that by practicing on the bottom step, stepping down with my new knee, the joint and muscles adapted rather quickly. There is some anxiety you have to get over, and your muscles in your thigh have to control your decent. You can also practice by using a step stool. Step up with your new knee and over with your other leg. In just a couple of days you should feel more confident.
Good luck,
David
 
Re: Question about steps

Hi Abby

It took me quite a while to relax into going downstairs normally. I think I was scared it would hurt or I would stumble and consequently tensed up the muscles. As David says practice on a low step and you should eventually feel more comfortable with it.:thumb:
 
Re: Question about steps

I followed the same exercise as David with my knee and stairs. Going down steps was one of the last things to come for me in recovery. It took the better part of 8 months to do it pain free. Even then, I was so cautious about it, that I would hesitate and go slowly for more than a year....thinking something might hurt or give way. It just takes lots of time to "unlearn" those habits sometimes. All that pain before surgery leaves a definite mark on your thought process!

Don't worry....the stairs will come with time and as your muscles get stronger.

As for the compound you have been recommended to try.....you always must approach these things with a grain of salt....maybe the whole salt shaker sometimes. Supplements are an unregulated item in the USA and many make claims that are not supported by any scientific studies.

While it is true that we have had BoneSmarties who indicate they have been helped by a particular supplement, we also have plenty who have not. If you're interested in something, give it a try as long as you feel it is a safe product to put in your body. But....do consider the source of that recommendation. If the person telling you how great it is has ANY financial interest in you using it......be very wary. As Jaycey said, most of these "miracle" supplements come with a very healthy price tag that can make a serious dent in your budget.
 
Re: Question about steps

I was concerned about going down steps too (every other foot, w/o discomfort). At about 6 months post op that I (shockingly) found myself doing that very thing. However, to this day, my knee is still stiff when going down stairs but it is not uncomfortable.
 
Re: Question about steps

I practiced this by going through the door way into my computer room, which had a small step down. The steps are about the last major accomplishment and can take some time. The stronger your quads are, the easier it will be. It takes some time---my steps were much easier about the 5-6 month mark.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom