TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Question about steps

The steps took some time for me also. In PT they had me doing 8 inch step ups and my left knee did ok. We had to change to 6 inch because of my right knee, but mine is the problem with the tibia and fibula popping out of place. Before that, I had no pain with stairs.

I took supplements of every kind thinking that they would help me postpone surgery. I think the only thing they helped was the manufacturer's pockets. :hysterical:
 
Re: Question about steps

Hi Abby, are you tackling the steps the proper way, left leg first going down, right leg first going up? One step at a time, of course.

Then just try it the wrong way around for the bottom step, and as you progress you'll be using the wrong leg all the time, just for the heck of it. (Oh No!!! I writing in American again:hysterical:). It does take a long time though, it was over a year for me.
 
Re: Question about steps

Thank you all for responding ..... I feel better knowing steps are one of the last things to work without pain. I get my vitamins and supplements from Vitacost and they have good prices .... I'll use this bottle of this Collagen + C until it's gone, and if there's no improvement in the other joints .... no more for me.
abby
RTKR 5/24/11
 
Re: Question about steps

Down with the bad and up with the good. I had to repeat this to do it correctly and if I forgot it hurt to do the steps.
 
Re: Question about steps

I'm not sure at what point I was able to do the stairs normally, but at about 5 months I caught myself running up some steps. At 7 months someone asked how long I'd been taking steps two at a time. Everybody heals differently, and everyone gets stronger at different paces. Please don't compare my answer to your situation. I'm not, normal...
 
Are there plateaus?

Hi everyone. I am wondering if there are plateaus that you hit after a TKR?
My knee was coming along fairly well with the big exception being a change in the weather - especially barometric pressure, but I've noticed the passed few days, it's particularly good ..... like it took a giant leap forward. Now I'm fully prepared for our next round of ugly weather, but I was just wondering if any of you had this experience. Thanks much.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

I think what I have noticed most is that when I'm out & about doing things, the knees function fine. Then later on the knee acts up or gets stiff or has pain. At that point, I've forgotten about the earlier abuse and sugsequently the cause of the pain or stiffness is blamed on the weather or some other fantom issue.
All which goes to reinforce the "take it easy" approach, even if they are working and feeling fine. And just remember, regardless of the cause, ice and elevate.
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

You're probably right .... the past 4 days I've been out a lot and very busy ... when I got home last night, I was in bed at 9 and slept straight through for 9 hours. Today I'm worthless .... tired .... guess even at this point I still have to pace myself.
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

Well I am from the hippie side but I certainly experienced plateaus.

I any case it sounds like you have just increased your activity level. Your knee is just acknowledging the increase. Good plan - pace yourself.
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

Yes-I think there were a number of plateaus during my recovery. I would be unable to do something like getting up from a very low chair. A few months later I would notice I was able to do things without thinking about my knee. It was not something I could rush or exercise more. It just was the healing process. Today, all is well at almost one year. I am very thankful for being able to walk again!
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

It's true. There are advances, BIG advances, plateaus, setbacks and BIG setbacks....all are part of a normal recovery. The journey is never a straight line. As we recover, we naturally push a little bit to see what we can do. Overdoing things is very common and it means a few days of rest, ice and elevating along with pain medication.

It's one reason we tell folks to try and measure their progress week by week and not daily. Then you're not worried when you have a "down" period. And you don't become over-confident during a really good spell and take off running when you still should be walking!
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

There are certainly plateaus...some times we make progress, and then we feel stuck at a point for a while. Myself---I actually had a few regressions, too. It is like the stock market, I guess; you have to be in it for the long haul, and there will be some ups and some downs, and there will be times when it is frustratingly slow---no progress at all. Just relax and take it all in stride.

Sometimes , instead of working or pushing, take a break and yo will see some progress---let yourself relax and recover. Just don't worry too much about the numbers and just focus on being patient.
 
Re: Are there plateaus?

Abby,
You are just like me, caught in the catch-22 of recovery. You start to feel good, so you do more. After the increased activity you feel worse. Welcome to the club! This is a marathon - at times you have to push foward and at time you have to drop back (rest) a bit.

Kathleen

Kathleen
 
Forgive me for this

I'm sorry to say all this, but I'm exhausted. One day my knee is good, the next day it's awful. OK, I get that. But, on top of this, I have a very "needy" neighbor (right across the hall of me in my condo building. Her granddaughter is about to be taken away from her daughter, and my neighbor is absolutely, and has been for about 5 years, totally mentally "gone." Because I'm a good listener, and just can't tell her I can't hear anymore of this, she constantly calls me, or comes over and knocks on my door.
I have my own situation to deal with re. my knee and I think because of that I just don't have the patience anymore. She came over here 7 times Friday and Saturday I got up totally exhausted. She seems to just lose sight of everyone elses life but her own. She just hung up with me and it was not even 8:30 before she made call #1 for the day.
I'm sorry to put this on the Board - I'm just very, very, tired and I can't help but think this is not helping the healing process. I'm totally done in.
Thanks for listening to this rather "off the topic" post.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Forgive me for this

No forgiveness needed Abby! I agree with you 100%. You have enough to deal with in recovery. You don't need someone's emotional baggage as well.

Can you remind your neighbor that you are recovering from major surgery and you need your rest? Or - if that doesn't work unplug the phone and don't answer the door!
 
Re: Forgive me for this

Amberpep, I believe that part of the knee recovery includes feeling a little more emotional than usual~and it does take a toll on one that is constantly facing a barrage of bad news. I'm with Jacey on unplugging the phone and ignoring the door knocks. If she persists, tell her it's time to seek professional counseling.
 
Re: Forgive me for this

Thank you both for your kind replies .... interestingly enough, this woman has been seeing a Psychologist for years (I honestly don't see any change in her). Now she's decided she's going to call our state representatives, write to the newspaper editor, and call Dr. Phil. It's sad and I feel sorry for her, but I can't help her with this.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Forgive me for this

.... interestingly enough, this woman has been seeing a Psychologist for years..

She may need to see a psychiatrist for a medical evaluation. A psychologist can assist in cognitive therapy but cannot prescribe meds.
 
Re: Forgive me for this

Sunflower .... I totally agree .... I've given her the name of mine, who is one of the best in Montgomery County, MD and she just says, "oh, I won't take THAT stuff." It's a no win. At least it feels that way.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Forgive me for this

Abby,
Tough situation, but I think it's not going to get better for you unless you can truthfully speak to your neighbor and set some hard and fast boundaries with her. Maybe agree that you will call her at a set time once a day to talk for 15 minutes or every other day--or whatever you think you can handle. But you have to let her know that you are dealing with some major issues of your own, and though you would love to be able to do more for her, for right now this is what you can do. You can let her know that you will be there for her in other ways when you are more fully recovered. This may sound like tough love, but I don't think any other kind will work in this situation. You can't be an "enabler." Until you set some boundaries (and stick to them) she will continue to take advantage of you--no doubt about it. I feel for you though. Tough situation. Niki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom