TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Feeling very sorry ....

Hi Abby, I too absolutely love dogs, my sis has a doberman called Ceepe, and she, like your son asked me when I was 5 months out of TKR if I could have her for a few days, and I said yes because I felt that she needed the break,, but it was totally the wrong thing to do, she ran me ragged at home, and when I took her for a walk she wouldn't come back as she had decided that she wanted a much longer run, and it was a real battle of the wills to even get her to come close enough to get hold of - which I didn't!!!.

One hour plus later I was tired from standing all the time, and she was still refusing to behave, and no one in sight to help, so I had to call my hubby who came right away, with some cooked chicken to entice her, and eventually we got her home. I was exhausted, so please don't guilt trip yourself about not having your sons Vizsla, he should certainly understand, and there will always be another time you can have Charlie when you have really recovered and maybe need that extra exercise!!

The right decision for you, and your health, and I hope you continue to make good progress with your knee. God bless
 
New jobs for all of us !

Hi everyone. I have a neighbor and close friend who has Parkinson's. Since I had my RTKR and it's been fairly healed, we check in with each other every day to see "what the weather will be." It's amazing. On days when the weather is going to get wet and rainy, her feet ache, and my knee hurts like crazy. We've got such a good record that we've decided to start our own weather group called Pat and Abby's bone weather! Want to join? :th_heehee:
abby
 
Question about steps

I had my RTKR on 5/24/11 and am doing well. I know this takes time to really heal, but I have 2 questions:
1 - going up steps is easy, but going down is still painful most of the time. When does that change? or doesn't it?
2 - Is there ever a point when you no longer feel any pain at all?

Thanks so much,
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Question about steps

Going down steps is usually one of the last things to get back to normal. It will come, but it may take some time....maybe even LOTS of time.

"No pain at all" is kind of a relative term. You know, you still have lots of soft tissue in and around your knee that can hurt....just like when you had a natural joint. But, I think it's safe to say that most people do get to a point where they don't think about their new knees very often if at all. That also can take a bit of time. You are mere months out from your surgery, so you definitely have some time to go. A majority of people note that the 6-month point brings the realization that your knee is not the first thing on your mind every morning.
 
Re: Question about steps

I have exactly same problem! Although, I can do the staircase at PT but not at home, ( I swear I'm going to measure the height of both staircases). Also I'm warmed up from exercising before we do the stairs. PT tells me I need to strengthen up my butt muscles haha! To help this, I'm doing clams and side leg lifts. At home I sometimes come down backwards, much easier! cheating I know, but it feels good just to do it without pain! Had a few strange looks from my husband as he sees me coming down backwards! Good Luck!
 
Re: Feeling very sorry ....

Patty, I love your new avatar!
 
Re: New jobs for all of us !

Neat trick if you can do it!
 
Re: Question about steps

Took me ages to come down normally. Actually I never really bothered about it. I suggest you don't either. It will happen when it happens and one day you'll come bouncing in here and say ":yahoo: I did it!"
 
Re: Question about steps

I'm almost 2 1/2 years out now and depending on the stairs, I still come down one leg at a time. I can go up without any problem, even half-run up the stairs.

My back deck steps, I can go down normally. My indoor stairs- I have to come down one at a time because the railing is on the wrong side and I don't feel stable enough to just come down one foot over the other like normal.

The weird thing is, I go down, using my surgical leg, landing on my human leg.
 
Still get very tired

I am 3 months out from having a RTKR, and because I'm feeling pretty well, the thought of the fatigue that comes with the surgery no longer entered my mind. Well, yesterday, I had a full day - laundry, made a big pot of soup to take to a sick neighbor, took my dog to the Vet. for her checkup, got home and again took care of "my Zoo" (1 dog and 2 cats) and walked the dog. By the time I got back into my condo I was totally done in. I took a shower and put my bathrobe on - I was in bed at 8:30 PM.
I guess I just didn't anticipate this ..... but, I still have to be careful how much I do in a day. I am still tired this morning and am going to sleep a bit more. These surgeries really take everything out of you for longer than I thought and I don't think we always realize that.
abby
5/24/11 - RTKR
 
Re: Still get very tired

No, people often don't. And then you think you're over it and suddenly it comes back a bites you in the butt again! But we learn.


Amber, I merged most of your threads together to give some continuity to your story. I find it easier and I'm sure so do a lot of casual readers because then they get the whole story and not lots of bits and pieces. Would you please keep to this thread for posts about your recovery? It would help so much. Thank you.
 
Re: Still get very tired

I am glad that you said "no"! Loving your son doesn't mean setting yourself back in your recovery. He will understand. Most of us "kids", do after we stop and think about it!:biggrin:
 
Re: Still get very tired

Yes, I know my saying no to my son was the right thing for me .... it's that old "mother guilt" thing kicking up.
I just got up from a 1-1/2 hour nap - in the morning! It's just one of those days I think I could sleep at the drop of a hat .... as my kids used to say "Mom can sleep standing up." I guess I overdid it yesterday.
abby
 
Re: Still get very tired

Abby,

I am just a few weeks behind you and had my OS check up yesterday, had PT right after then my husband took me out to dinner. Today I'm as tired as an old dog, but I feel well. Still trying to get used to the TIRED feelings. As Jo says it comes back to bite yu in the butt and my butt has quite a few holes in it. I have learned that if I feel tired I am taking a day off from life and resting.

Just need to keep on keeping on and learn from everyone on this list.
 
Re: Still get very tired

It takes a while for the tiredness to go away. Your body is healing and your muscles are also working on regaining their strength. I also truly believe that there is a type of emotional or psychological sense of exhaustion, too---you become emotionally drained at times from worrying and going through this recovery---the "When will this be over?" type of syndrome.

Later on down the line, I can assure you that you will have more energy and you will feel better about the TKR.
 
Re: Still get very tired

Thank you all .... I don't feel so weird now.
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Still get very tired

You never were weird, my dear - just post-op! :wink1: :snork:
 
Rainy weather and my knee

I don't know how many of you notice this but last night and now this morning my knee hurts terribly, and down the right side of the outside of my leg. I've taken Bufferin, used ice, and today I'm going to try heat. It's to rain here off and on all week and I dread it. I'm doing so well, but when the weather gets ugly, oh my .... it's a giant OUCH.
I'm to go to VA to visit my daughters and their families next week - a 4 hour drive and I dread it. I'll have to get out of the car and walk around so often to keep it from stiffening and aching that it will probably take me forever to get there.
Just a discouraging day I guess. I know my surgeon told me it will take at least a year for all the tissues and nerves to heal, but this weather thing is upsetting. I'm wondering what winter will be like with the cold and snow.
Thanks for listening to me.
abby
5/24/11
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

I too had terrible pain for the last 2 days, rain and gloomy weather, and it hurt...the rest of the week is suppose to be sunny, hoping that my pain will lessen as time goes on, I am 6 1/2 weeks out, waiting for the day when I will have less pain, and don't have to rely on pain meds (tramadol and tylenol) so much. Hope your pains are less, and the sun shines..
 
Re: Rainy weather and my knee

Well, my wife's grandmother used to swear by putting red flannel round the knee - keep it warm and dry! But that was pre replacement days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom