TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

It was on a smooth path in the park although with some ups and downs and I did take the cane. Otherwise I haven't been using the cane since the PTs say that the best thing you can do is try to use the leg normally without limping- walking, stairs, etc. They want me to put equal weight on both legs. I like to use trekking poles for walking and they are great for everyone.
 
I use a long wooden tool handle (rake or hoe) as a walking stick... It is about 60 inches long and very inexpensive. When the terrain gets rough or steep, it is great for balance, but I usually just carry it.... It is also protection on the trails if I run into a cougar, an aggresive dog or coyote, etc.... :yikes: That is unlikely but.... Our property is one five acre parcel away from the rainforest that is honeycombed with beautiful hiking/mountain biking trails. The wildlife use the same trails and occasionally drop by.... sometimes for chicken dinner! I usually know what preditors are in the area.
It is much the same where you are, isn't it, Randi? Outside of town?
 
Yes. We have lots of deer and therefore lots of coyotes. I hear them howling at night, very near the house. And I saw a bobcat recently right up the street. It was cute and smaller than I would have thought. We don't see the cougars but they are here. I stayed at a hostel in Roberts Creek once for a week. They were probably near you on the uphill side of the road, and they had a bear that would come by! :shocked:
 
Bears are always here, except for a month or two in winter.... Xmas, January, and February. They are just black bears and are more afraid of us.... as long as you make enough noise when outside they will avoid you. Our dog to alerts me when wild things are about. My last dog chased the bears but at enough distance she could run when needed and get away.... then put the run on them again til they left! Good dog! Babe was awesome. Jazz is coming along... She is a year in January and showing signs of becoming a very good watch dog. She has big boots to fill!
Bob cats are near by and will take a chicken in the spring when they are feeding their young. We don't often see one. Same goes with preditory birds, Hawks, eagles, etc. There are cougars in the larger area.... They scare me. They are unpredictable and my dog will be no match, just dinner. I loose my cats to the coyotes when they are feeding their young in the spring and again when teaching the young to hunt. I try to only have female cats as they tend to stay close and not try to defend their territory from the wild critters. Deer avoid dogs so while I see them, they stay clear of our yard.
Where was the hostel? We are on the upper side of the highway... probably very close by.
 
Wow! This seems so strange to me. The wildest thing I have seen near my home was a fox and that was only once. Usually I see raccoons, bunnies and ground hogs. Oh and squirrels. That's as wild as it gets where I am! Though it would be cool to see those other critters, I think I would be too frightened and run screaming instead of enjoying the views.:shocked:
 
No I didn't feel the earthquake last night. I was probably passed out on pain pills! :rotfl: I think that hostel was probably very near you, up the hill. Funky place but hey, what did we care? That was in '94 which amazingly is now a long time ago. I am pretty worn out today, PT, napping and practice with my marimba band, oh and I made soup. Well that is quite a lot. The napping was especially difficult. :heehee: after supper we took down all the decorations and tree. Time to get back to normal. Well, life is still not normal, is it, even though I've passed the magical eight weeks?
 
You already took down your tree??? Wow!

You're in a Marimba band? How fun is THAT?!? That sounds so fun! Oh and yes, napping is exhausting! :rofsign:
 
Arent you organized taking down all the decs already. I guess with lyndseys TKR in January you have to be. Im just going to watch other people taking ours down this year. Just point and supervise a lot. Same as Shelly we dont get a lot of wildlife here just squirrels and the odd fox. I cant imagine black bears roaming about. WOW. Im sure our cat Tilly would protect us NOT. I saw her in the summer with her paw on a tiny field mouses tail watching it trying to escape. What a tease. Hope everyone has a peaceful few days until New Year. We have had an addition to our family. My neice had a baby girl yesterday Emily Sophia so that was a lovely end to our year.
 
Lindsay is sitting across the room watching a video of my knee surgery and narrating it for me. I didn't last very long although I was curious. :scary: I watched her TKR two years ago but it's different when it's your knee. :yikes: She's having her other knee done in January and she thinks watching this video helps her to be less anxious...oh kay!
 
That's cool that they made a video for you. i don't know if I would ever want to watch it but it would be good to have when trying to explain why it takes so long to recover :heehee:
 
When someone wisecracks to me about not being fully recovered I just smile and say "how many operations do you know of that a saw hammer and cement are used." Usually shuts them up even if it is an exagaration. Well the hammer bit anyway. They do sort of break our bones though dont they. How flippin brave are we.:egypdance:
 
No, it is not an exaggeration Patricia. A hammer is definitely used. I saw it with my own two eyes. :yikes: Various templates are used to determine saw cuts and drill holes to fit the device and each time the template is seated using a BIG hammer, mallet actually. I actually watched a bit more of the video than I thought but did see him do this about three different times. I thought if I watched much more my knee was going to start hurting ( more than it already does).
 
Randi wishing you and Lyndsey a fantastic 2013 and hope her surery goes well later on in the month. Thanks for being there with your help and advice. Weve been on quite a journey and hope we both continue to recover in this new year. :martini:
 
So it's Pat now, I see! Well I try to keep up with the times. Thank you for your good wishes. Lindsay started a thread in the preop area and her secret code name is Ruffian.
 
Lindsay and I put new linoleum and a higher toilet in one our bathrooms. At one point I was on the floor and couldn't get up on that slippery surface. Plus with all the tools on the floor I couldn't swing my leg around properly. I had to crawl out to the carpeted hall to stand up. It was quite the comedy act with one recent TKR and one TKR pending in three weeks. Lindsay did most of the work, I supervised. It looks nice, just need to finish the trim. And getting up from that new higher seat-ooh la la!
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
 
Boy Randi, you are really good if you can shower and pee laying down like that... :loll:Looks nice, wish I had a raised potty like that. I had a seat, but took it off. Although I think I will take it along in the motor home as that toilet is lower then a regular one. Dave said it makes him aim better too. :rotfl: Do you use the sink to help yourself get up off the toilet? I do love my hand rails that Dave installed for me after my hip replacement.
 
Debbie, of course I use the counter to get up, are you kidding? We also have a grab bar straight across that you can't see. Lindsay got it all caulked and trimmed and it looks nice. After Lindsay recovers from her TKR we'll put a higher toilet in our big master bath, until then it's the big donut. The toilet cost $188 at Home Depot and is very easy to install. I love it.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom