Guest viewing is limited

TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

One of my very favorite programs---so glad it's back--had to tape it but will watch tonight. And it won't be long before "Suits" is back on USA---another favorite of mine.
 
Wow, I haven't posted for almost a whole week! I guess I think there's nothing to say if I haven't anything to complain about. But I can say that, can't I? I still feel pretty dang good. I finished PT and am exercising on my own, going to the gym 3times per week and little walks in between. I am the queen of not being to strenuous (still active tho) and I think that has helped my recovery. I found out that standing an hour is pretty hard and that a half hour is easy. I play in a marimba band (yes, it is SO fun!) and have finally gotten back to practice but have to sit after a half hour practicing for a bit. I seem to be able to cook for an hour. Yay! I feel great! Now we're getting ready for Lindsay's LTR on 1/23. We've already built up the nest on the extra wide window seat. And Lindsay seems to be nesting in general. I did that too. Today I thought I kind of envy her, lounging around on the window seat, doing nothing, like a mini vacation. Ha! How quickly we forget!
 
Randi, I'm so happy you are doing so well! No news is good news! I must say, I'm a bit jealous of you.

Is Lindsay excited or nervous? Or a little of both? :heehee: she has a great nurse to take care of her especially since you know how she will be feeling. I hope she gets on here so we can keep up on her recovery! :thumb:
 
Hey Shelley. She has a thread on the pre-op side under the name ruffian, title NOW. Lindsay is not a tech wizard and is still working out how to use the site. She has mostly posted on other people's threads. Hop on over and say hi. Anyway, Lindsay says she's looking forward to getting it done and she wondered if that's the same as excited. :shrug: She had the other knee done two years ago and therefore knows what it's like. I AM a. good caregiver. I liked doing it before. :friends:
 
I went for my three month check back today. It's all good, strength, ROM. Now, it's just the long road to getting back to 100%. I think it's kind of a boring report with no problems to report. Yay for boring reports! Tomorrow Lindsay is having her second TKR and I will be living atSwedish Orthopedic till Saturday. They have a nice setup for family, an alcove with a day bed, drawers and a niche for a laptop or desk. They do over two thousand joint replacements per year so they are definitely specialists. I hope all goes well and I'm sure it will. :puppysmooze:
 
Yay for boring reports on the knee. You will find in the next couple months that you will be feeling more and more normal. Did you ever think that? I know it is strange, but wonderful. Good luck to Lindsay tomorrow, keep us posted on how she is doing.
 
Randi,
I am so glad you had a boring report to give us, nothing better than boring. Please give Lindsay my best and let her know I will be praying for a great outcome for her. Please let us know how she is doing as soon as you can.
 
WOWWWW its the 23rd already. Hope everything goes well for Lyndsay. O Im shaking at the thought of how she must be feeling. Hope you are both well. Keep in touch. I am going to the "other side" now see if I can find her thread. Take Care.
 
Lindsay's surgery did go off without a hitch. :dancy: she's eating and drinking and has been up and walking. The PT came in and Lindsay is 0-132 with no straining at all. She's very flexible and had almost no swelling the last time. Go figure. She's feeling no pain, I can tell you that. Good drugs, right Joy? We shall see what tomorrow brings. She had a nerve block so it hasn't worn off yet. Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly. :happydance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
Good to hear that everything is going smoothly so far. Hoping it continues. Let Lindsey know we're thinking of her and looking forward to her first post from the "other side". And take care of you---she'll need you in good shape.
 
I don't know Debbie but she's very thin and flexible. The PT was amazed. We'll just call her Gumby.
 
It's a beautiful day in Seattle as I gaze out the window at Swedish Orthopedic. Gumby raced out of the room this AM with two PTs trailing her and came back reclining in a wheel chair. Her nerve block hasn't worn off yet and they have her loaded up on good drugs so...she over did it. I am going to have trouble keeping this gal down. I think I am going to go for a walk and stretch my little knee.
 
Well, it's "our" last night in the hospital and I escaped and had dinner (and an adult beverage) out with friends. Lindsay has done great. They really got the meds right this time, as last time she had so much pain and nausea she lost weight and she's already thin! I hope this will continue when we get home. That first day home is kind of tough. We took care of a single friend, who lived alone, through two TKAs, then Lindsay's right knee, my left and now tada! :yahoo: the fifth TKA recovery in our house and I hope, the last. We're refining our techniques and getting to be quite the experts. Plus there's the excess empathy from all involved, at least I hope so. I am not always the most patient person in the world but I will do my best. Meanwhile I have noticed that my own knee is feeling pretty good and strong as I'm walking around the neighborhood. A little sore today as I've been running around a lot. So it's time for a little Tylenol and off to dreamland :sleep:
 
I also got more confirmation on how important it is to have a good OS. At one point I was walking quickly ahead of two PTs. I said " This is what a three month knee looks like" and they said , "All of Dr. Holland's patients look like that." All I have to say is that if you aren't happy with your outcome, considering changing your OS. It really makes a difference.
 
Randi (and all the rest of you) since you are familiar with the TKR by watching the surgery and you know whether or not you have the minimally invasive/quad sparing procedure...do you still have lots of quad pain? I am a little over 3 months out and am wondering if there is a difference in post op pain in the long run between the two surgeries. I thought I'd ask on your thread since you have been through so many TKR recoveries and also your above comment. You know how I'm vacillating about switching OS. Oops forgot to mention that I am still having that pain across the top of knee/where I would assume the quads got cut. So wondering if those who's quads were Not cut also have pain there???
Lindsay's not posting yet right? Going to try to find Ruffian. I hope Saturday went okay!!!!
 
Oh no Brownie. It looks like you've been up all night! I had the quad sparing and I really don't have any pain now at three months. I think my quad is still weak and sometimes it gets a little tired or sore if I've done a lot. But I'm completely off pain meds including Tylenol. Lindsay is doing really well and is running around the house doing things. I wish she'd stay down more. I'm afraid she's going to crash. We got home around three pm yesterday and spent the rest of the evening unpacking and settling in. Unfortunately I have a cold and fever and don't want her to get it! I really think you should find a good surgeon that does quad sparing. I wouldn't do it the other way myself unless I had a really good reason, ie some deformity that required it. Didn't you have a consult with another doc? You could always come up here and recover at our house! :heehee: Lynn said the nurses liked that doc you were going to consult with. They know. I found a couple of nurses at SOI had surgeries with my doctor. All for now, Lindsay is getting on the CPM and I promised her a cup of tea.
 
I had the sparing too and I don't really have quad pain at all. I tend to have some weakness and every once in a while the quad forgets to work while walking and I end up looking like a drunk but it's usually only one step that does it and I catch myself and then I am fine. That's the main reason that I still use the cane when out and about. It helps catch me when I do that.

Randi, you are so lucky to be off all pain meds. We are almost the same time and I can't stand to be without it still. I am down to twice a day though yesterday I added one because I was hurting so bad. But I think that the cold is hurting me. -1 to 25 all week here. BURRR!
 
Back
Top Bottom