TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Hey buddies! I'm still doing well, still biking every day and have started some classes at the gym. We are trying to shape up altho I haven't lost any weight like my more diligent BS friends. (You know who you are!). Lindsay got a cortisone shot in her hip, actually two, and is feeling much better. Maybe she can even put off the surgery for another year or two. Fingers crossed.
 
If you are biking every day, you should both be set for a trip to France this fall.
And here's hoping that Lindsay's hip is much better by then to thoroughly enjoy the trip.

Will this be a bike trip in France or is that your way of building muscles into tip top shape for visiting all of the French wineries?
 
We will rent bikes in France but are staying in one spot, not touring. We did bike touring in France in 2000 but i think those days are over. Biking is a great way to build up the quads! Also being in tip top shape is appealing too.
 
Glad Things are going so well for you and Lindsey.... Now if the weather would just cooperate, eh! Monday I spent the day at work dead heading and cleaning geraniums. :giggle:Not many customers braving the downpour.... still better than what Alberta got though. :bow:
Keep up the good work and enjoy your trip when you go....
 
Well, here I am almost one year. How do you like my new "security" avatar. It is an example of some of the prehistoric cave paintings we saw on our trip to France. We must have climbed up and down several thousand stairs, no exaggeration, visiting castles, cave and villages in the Dordogne in southern France. I could not have done that before, I can assure you of that. My knee did get sore but not in a big way, more in a everyday aches and pains kind of way. I have not done much kneeling (Joy!) but I can if I need to get something off the floor or under the couch. Anyway, life is good. Lindsay is having a hip replacement next week and I will again be spending in my "home away from home", Swedish Orthopedic. That should just about cover it now for a while!
 
Randi! So good to see you. The trip sounds wonderful and how wonderful you were able to manage all those stairs! Ain't it grand? How did Lindsay fare with her hip. She should feel comforted to know the hip is a piece of cake to recover from, compared to the knee. Not that it is easy, but it is not as extreme. Wishing you both well.
 
Randi so nice to hear from you. What a wonderful summer you have had. Its so good to hear achievements post op isnt it. So much we can do we would never have considered before. Hope Lynsey's hip surgery goes well. Its lovely the way you take care of each other's after your ops. Most of us would love such an understanding partner to take care of us.wising you both well and sending you hugs x x
 
Randi, so nice to hear from you again! Your trip sounds wonderful, and climbing all those stairs WOW!:thumb:

Give Lindsay my best! Stay well you two, there more fun to be had!
 
Okay, since we are checking in, I just had to add my two cents. It's been a year and seven months since my knee replacement and I am totally happy with it. People have been asking me lately how it is and I think, "are you kidding. I haven't fallen down in a year and a half!" After thirty years with no ACL that is quite impressive. I can actually count on my knee to not "let me down". Lindsay had her hip done last fall and is doing well with that altho she's had some neurological problems with the femoral nerve. Nothing to do with the surgery as the problem pre-dates the surgery. But we're hoping that will resolve. I have my sights set on walking the Cotswolds next summer!
Anyway, I totally agree with @Jacky48 having you all there made all the difference in the world for me. It was always so cheering to check in each day, many times a day, and you would be there encouraging, crying, or just checking in. It is amazing how important you all have been to me, and I've never even met you! Well, carry on dear friends, be well, and who knows, someday we may actually meet in person, but I hope not because of more joint replacements!
 
It is so great to hear from you Randi. How great that you too, feel so positive about your recovery! Like you, I give little thought to my new knees unless someone asks about them. I am glad Lindsay's hip is recovering well and it would be wonderful if the nerve issue heals too! Happy walking now and next year!!
:walking:
 
Thanks for checking in with your wonderful update!
It is uplifting to read all these wonderful recoveries as we all struggle through these early weeks and months!
:friends::loveshwr:
 
Randi, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well, and that your knee is keeping you butt off the ground!:heehee:

I'm also happy to hear that Lindsay is on the mends! Now you guys can continue on to the rest of your lives a little more pain free.

Stay well you two!:friends:
 
Hasn't it been a lovely summer here.... :cool: Hope you and Lindsey are doing well. I was glad to see the rain last week. Our water supply was almost dry. No water problems now. Think about you often.... :wave:
 
Just thought I'd check in at the two year (plus two month) mark. Now that I've had some time and distance to recover I've realized a few things, such as: before TKR I thought I was in better shape than I was, except for the last six months, but in fact over time I had lost a lot of muscle mass and strength due to compensating and lack of use. In the two years since, it has taken me quite a while to really get strong again and, since I'm older, I may never fully regain what I lost. I had also gotten kind of lazy and had put on some weight. This summer I decided to really get serious about the extra weight and started biking every day, then in Oct started a low impact aerobics class three days a week. My knee can still feel sore after all that squatting (done properly now). Nothing like the pre surgery knee. Anyway, it feels good to
be able to do this and honestly, I don't think I could have actually done it in the last thirty years. Even though my knee issue was from an injury in my early thirties, the progression was so gradual that I just adjusted to doing less. So! If you're new to this I want to say, don't give up, it keeps getting better. It pays off to keep up on the exercise and the improvement continues way past the first year. I now know that I could have had the TKR way sooner than I did but at the time I had no idea, in fact I thought the doc was just going to give me a shot and send me home. Ha!
I think about all my Bonesmart buddies often and wish you well. It made such a difference to have your support. This is just a great, great thing and I am truly grateful.
 
How nice to hear from you. Glad your getting back to normal. It's taken a while hasn't it. When the consultant said to me it could take two years I laughed in his face. But it's true. I wish you lots of good luck and happiness for 2015 and of course a healthy New Year.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom