TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Thank you everyone for your kind words. We got married yesterday and I am still (barely) upright, happy and tired. As you can see, if you look on the link, I walked, I danced and didn't think amount my knee too much. A pain pill instead of Tylenol, ice before and after and just a little puffy today. Saw my OS today and he was pleased. He liked the way I was walking. Yes! I just got home from a very long two days in Seattle. So I think it's time for supper, a hot bath and to bed early. If you'd like to see some pics from the wedding it can be found in the following article. Oh yes, the media was there getting the scoop and we got a nice story on King 5 TV in Seattle featuring our friends. Hundreds of same sex couples got married in Washington yesterday and many with our own little group of reporters --go figure. My 15minutes of fame!
broken link removed: https://kirkland.patch.com/articles/six-gay-couples-marry-in-kirkland-on-first-legal-day-in-washington#photo-12511616
 
What joy on your faces and how wonderful that your knee held up so well! Congratulations!
 
Congratulations Randi, you have proven the test of time and so glad you got to finally marry the person you love. My 88 year old mother called me today and asked me what she should do. She said she got a Christmas card from my cousin and it was signed from him and his partner (they are married) and she wanted to know what to do. I told her send him a Christmas card back. I told her that he is happy, so be happy for him too. What we were trying to figure out is how to address the card. I told her for the inside of the card to put "Dear John and Nick" but I didn't know should she put both names on the envelope. Not sure if she even knows his last night. What is appropriate?
 
Randi, Congratulations! I love the photo with Lindsay on her tippy toes. It shoes how excited she was! So adorable. I am so happy for you two! And for all of the others who were finally given that right that should not be denied to anyone.
 
Debbie, what a sweet exchange with your mother. Personally, I think any form of address or acknowledgement is fine, just first names on the envelope, the last name that you know (John last name and Nick), probably anything would be appreciated. Since we have been forging new territory the rules are pretty loose.
 
Randi..what terrific news. Sad to say that here in liberal California it is not yet legal. What an embarrassment. I wish you both much health and happiness and at least another 29 years together.
 
Randi congratulations! It looks like you both had a great day and your knee held up pretty well! :yay: May you both have a long and happy life! Happiness shows on both of your faces, thanks for sharing your wonderful day!
 
Just a question: do you feel like you're tired all the time? I do. Some days I feel pretty good in the morning but after an hour or two I'm wiped out again. I guess this is due to the surgery but I'm still lolling around a lot of the time. Also, it's so dark and gloomy this time of year that I have to use a light therapy box to keep from hibernating.
 
Yes Randi, I still get pretty whipped easily! I am 6 month post op and today we went to do a little shopping and on the way back we stopped at Subway for a couple of subs for sups and I could hardly get out of the car, I was beat! It does get better but it also takes a lot of time! Our bodies take quite a hit so I guess it just take that god awful word, patience! However I must add that it was my back and my feet that caused the problem, not my knees! :yay:
 
I find that some days I'm exhausted and others I am fine. What I do find is that when I do get tired I fall asleep quickly. Almost out before I hit the pillow. But then most days I get in bed and am not sleepy yet. I don't get it. It is never the same for me.
 
Aaaahhhh! Welcome ladies to the Wonderful World of Recovery!!!! That energy drain and sleep thing are the two gorillas in the room. And you just never know when they're going to attack you. But these too shall pass----just takes Time and Patience.

[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
which will not help you much---but I just love cats!
 
Hi Randi, I think we all feel the same here one good day and think yaaay im getting somewhere now and then the next day youre so tired and you think O no Im not. Yesterday I was soooo tired I could barely speak and having visitors didnt help. Just wanted them to go. Its very confusing sometimes isnt it. Because Im going late night shopping with the family tonight I know I will have to do very little today. Before my op every single person who I told I was having the op October 13th each and every one said O at least you will be ok for Christmas and fully recovered. I think maybe I thought that too. How wrong was I. Take Care :reindeers:
 
Oh I am 3 1/2 mos out and still have issues with fatigue. I have found myself taking short little catnaps of late. Congrats on your marriage. Hopefully California will get its act together soon, and legalize it. I have a few friends who were able to get married at the time it was legal. At least they didn't void their marriages. Hugs!
 
So with all of you on the vagueries of when the fatigue fairy will hit and when she will relent. With all the papers I have to grade before I go back under the knife for my left knee Monday, it is quite frustrating. I just hope that with the 2nd knee done it won't be "double the fun; double the fatigue!!"
Randi -happy almost 1 week anniversary!!
:bells:
 
Lynn,
I am sure it's vague because not only is everyone different, it seems even every surgery is different so people who have had both done separately have different results. Not only that but it can come and go. For me (I had mine on the same day you did) I find that some days I am perfectly fine and can go all day with no problems and other days I am tired just leaving the bed. I just try to take the energy when it comes and do something productive with it and when I run out of steam then I head to the couch or bed for a rest. If you are looking to increase your energy ask you PCP for a B12 shot or start taking a vitamin with B12 in it. It will help with energy and helps the immune system.
I hope all goes well with your surgery next week! Looking forward to reading more posts from you!
 
Thanks Shelly - your words ring true. I've actually been taking Emergen-C (Immune Defense) a lot - packed with vitamins and minerals and it does give me a boost. The B12 shot striaght up sounds like a good option for after this surgery. :xmaskitty:

How is your knee doing? Seven weeks old Tuesday! :xmasdance:
 
I was doing great until the MUA Thursday. After that, I have gone a bit backwards but not terribly. I am just more sore in the muscles so it takes a bit more to move and I swell a bit more again right now. Once these muscles calm down, I am sure I will be better than before the MUA. My ROM did increase and I got to 94 yesterday even with the sore muscles. I have to say, though I am sore, I am glad I did the MUA. I sure can't believe it's been 7 weeks though. I guess part of that is because I never thought it would take so long to recover from this. At least not until I found this site. Now I know much better so I am ok with it. I just take it one day at a time, one milestone at a time.
 
Back
Top Bottom