TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Rob was all over me until I asked the Dr (GP) about using his 'Dr Ho' to help my knee and the exercises.... Dr said maybe later in recovery.... is electrical stimulation the same sort of thing? I was wondering about that with all that metal going into the bone?:shrug:
 
Randi sure sorry you are having severe pain and the swelling. Could the 1 1/2 hour board meeting have started the swelling? I know what you mean about micro-over-doing it. Nothing like when we used to "over-do" it! Just stepping off a curb, trying to do it the normal way instead of the up with the good,down with the bad, was a doozie today. Those tiny little things that tweek our knees.
How is your RIGHT knee holding up?
I agree with Debbie and you should keep resting, elevating and icing. My flare ups require a couple days of nothing..with the exception of PT and stretching. You still did the bike and walking when you were already having an increase in pain and swelling. I hope you can keep yourself down for a couple days to let yourself heal! No dancing either!
Is the Aussie an australian shepherd? Sounds lovely! I'm going to look up the breed.
Take good care and keep us posted please! xoxoxox
 
Hi Randi, Just catching up with everyones progress. Its weird with our time difference. I really hope you are feeling better by the time you read this. Its awful having a setback just when we think we are getting somewhere. Seems to be this is the way our knee recovery goes. Mine feels worse since the cold weather arrived. Both knees. What a struggle making that first journey to the bathroom each morning. Please take care and rest and ice. Will be in my thoughts and hope to read a more hopeful post from you later.
 
I'm resting and icing today but at least I can walk! I'm much better but still sore and swollen. As my sister would say, "I'm not at my peak of fitness." So far, I am still in bed having made one foray into the bathroom. I need to move my operation down to the living room and my extra wide window seat. Wish me luck!
 
I am guessing you have relocated to your window seat by now.... Glad you are a bit better today.:console2: Rob was upset that my leg was so puffy last night.... Don't know what he expects after Wed in Van....:shrug: it is right down this am so I will rest more because there is a volunteer appreciation luncheon at the legion tomorrow and my work christmas party for dinner and the evening.... :dancy: I won't be dancing for sure... I will be the one with my leg up on the chair(both events).... I never could pass up a free meal... :heehee:I'm off to get another coffee... :mcoffee: Then I need to find clothes for us tomorrow or Rob will try to go to the golf course dinner in his greasy work jeams and his tattered old yellowed T-shirt that reads I've fallen and I can't reach my beer!!! :groan:Mom gave it to him and she passed 11 years ago.
 
A much better day. I got back to walking with the cane and even made a bank deposit, altho that was a stretch. I am feeling pretty wiped out and was glad to hear that 4-6 weeks can be a rough patch. I was riding high and now someone has let he air out of the balloon. I know you are all waiting with baited breath so I will go to my computer later and try to send some dog pics.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
Ah! yes, ladies, recovery is a long road full of twists and turns and ups and downs. You have to keep your eye on the long view. Today you feel great, tomorrow everything hurts, today you have energy, tomorrow you can hardly move you're so exhausted, night before last you sleep like a baby, last night you tossed and turned and couldn't get comfortable. And so it goes.


For most of us, getting better is a slow process. Our knees have been severely traumatized internally. They look great on the outside---but it's what we can't see on the inside that has a long way to go to get back to "normal". Recovery has to be looked at by weeks and months not hours and days, and that is very difficult for most of us to do. But we WILL all get there--later rather than sooner--but we WILL get there!

[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
Let's do our best to accentuate the positives of our recoveries.
 
Bottomshollow- are you trying to keep us from complaining? I usually don't but when things are different (ie: not being able to put weight on my leg) I come here for reassurance that this is normal. Of course I would love to figure out what triggers those set backs so I could avoid it, but it seems there's no rhyme nor reason, other than not overdoing. I can live with that.
 
Complaining is perfectly okay! I just want you to realize that these set backs just happen--but they pass---don't want any of you to get too caught up in the negative. Explanations would be wonderful--but often there seems to be none we can put our finger on. You are so early in recovery, Randi, that these things are pretty commonplace---just don't want them to get you down---cause it really does get better.
 
I'm glad when I find out these things are normal with the knee. Overall, I've had a dang good recovery, manageable pain, good ROM, minimal swelling. I've taken care of my partner with TKR and a family-less friend, so this is our 4th TKR recovery in this house! they didn't seem to have at this kind of setback but then, it's just theoretical when it's someone else. Anyway, one night of elevating and icing and another day similar and I'm back on track. I'm a meditator and I find that very helpful in not getting too distressed.
 
After learning how to resize an image I'm ready to post a picture of my little Rosey, the best recovery pal a girl could have!
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
 
And my sisters miniature Aussie, that I mentioned. She's about 3 1/2 months, should weigh about 30-35 pounds and is a full Australian Shepherd. She is a good recovery buddy too but kind of bouncy.
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
 
Agreed. He's my boy. (We named him after Rosey Greer.)
PS. He's not supposed to be in the garden!
 
Glad your feeling better Randi and glad we have each other on this site to complain to or encourage when things arent going too well. Your little dogs are lovely. We only have a cat who scarpers when she sees me with crutches or cane. Dosent like them at all so not much help from her towards my recovery. Going to GP later to sort out my meds. Hopefully a good result. Will let you know later.:flwrysmile:
 
I had a pretty good day. Mostly resting with my leg up :sleep: , napping, and visiting with a friend. I had two activities that I normally do, my French class and a discussion group and I decided to stay home. Sitting was just so uncomfortable last week and I am a little wary after last week's truly bad setback. I'm not exaggerating , it felt like the first days after the surgery. I think it was from trying out a flight of stairs, up and down, " the normal way", my PTs idea. Then I read in here that that's an activity for 16 weeks or so! So I'm not exactly bored but I feel too good to lay around but too crummy to do anything. And tired. Tomorrow I get a haircut and mini-foil to cover (some of) the gray. That should perk me up.
Oh, good news! This may be controversial to some of you but here in Washington the legislature passed and the voters approved a bill granting marriage rights to same sex couples, so on Sunday I am getting married to my partner of 29 years! We're really happy about that. I know you Canadians have been way ahead of us on this one (and on a lot of other things too). So happy times. I will be careful and follow Joy's example of only dancing with my butt in the chair! :happydance:
 
CONGRATULATIONS Randi thats brilliant news and I hope you have a lovely day Sunday. Make sure its dancing on the chair and not the tables. Lovely news to hear. Youve cheered me up:yay::egypdance::cheers:
 
:ok: Congradulations to you and Lindsey! :cheers: It is sad you had to wait 29 years.:headbang: Chair dancing is a good thing.... you don't have to go home early!:heehee:
I love your pics of your baby, Rosey, and I won't tell that he was in the garden.:heehee: Your sisters pup is sweet too..... Jazz had a play date today when a friend dropped by with her American pitty (pit bull). Roxy and Jazz are the same age and tired them selves out, it was awesome!
For the last 2 weeks I have been doing the short flight of stairs to the basement once every day or two, very slowly as these are the muscles I had stopped using a few months before surgery because I could not step up straight on anymore, too painful. I only do them if I am feeling up to it and every few days it seems to be a bit easier. I think Pat (Robynhood) is awesome doing stairs from day one... I didn't have to until I was ready... about week 3-4.
Oh.... you will feel much better after you get your hair done... It is a real spirit lifter!:yahoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom