Guest viewing is limited

TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

I'm getting really tired of this-it just goes on and on and is so painful. Oh! Excuse me, I wasn't talking about the TKR , I meant the American election!! :scary: Luckily, we will be relieved of that particular suffering soon.
I have been following the BS mantra and am doing quite well, I think . But I did have a problem with the icing. Last night I fell asleep with the ice machine thingy on and woke up about an hour and a half later, my leg so purple and frozen I thought I might have injured it and my body so cold it took hours to warm up. I didn't injure it but today I started feeling super chilled again using a gel pack. I am icing less since. I do notice my body's temperature regulation is a bit off. Any thoughts?
 
I think it is the drugs... I find it is worse when nearing a meal time. If I ice too long there is a different type of pain... cold metal maybe?
You think you are sick of the election coverage:headbang: It isn't even my country!!!!! lol
Sure glad I don't live on the east coast!
 
Oh,I sure hope you are putting a tea towel or something on your knee UNDER the ice cuff!!! Never put the ice cuff, or ice packs directly on the skin!!
 
Congrats, rlwintin! I seem to remember covering up with a blanket (in the summer) while icing. :scratch:
 
Hi Randi...I have felt the coldness all over too, even though I had a towel between my knee and the ice pack. I always cover with a fleece blanket when I ice my knee and it helps alot.
 
I definitely put something over my skin but I think you're right about piling on the blankets. Also I think I'll forgo the machine at night. Super unpleasant.
 
The last thing I do at night is to iceand elevate and then remove it to sleep... definitely more comfortable for sleep. I slept the past 2 nights without the leg elevated and was more comfortable for the night.
 
Another great day of lolling around and I don't mind a bit. A shower here, an exercise there, maybe a nap- I am really so grateful to this forum for helping me understand that it's a good thing not to push it. Otherwise I would probably be feeling guilty like I should be doing the dishes or something. As a result I can report that pain is manageable and swelling is fairly minimal too, about like it was before the TKR. One thing that is sinking in today is about how slooow this recovery is going to be. My dad used to say, " Slow and easy wins the race." Good advice that is really coming in handy now.
 
Sounds like you are doing great Randi!!!!
 
Great report out! Sounds like you are taking it easy and improving along the way! :)
 
Randi you sound like your doing great...i found the senokot worked amazing also....also i keep a booklet with the times i took my meds etc..i found earlier on i would forget when i took it and be afraid to take one because i didnt remember how long ago so yes keeping it written down helped alot....i had mine on Oct 1...i have been going out and about a bit since week 3 but i do find if i over do it like today my knee swells and i get uncomfy for sure...but a sitdown in recliner chair withleg up takes that away....it is frustrating though i find...i like to be active and i cant as i still get tired and i find i can only sleep a couple hours at a time...but imnot in a heck of alot of pain thank god...anyway you take care and relax and enjoy that window for sure...:SUNsmile:
 
I'm thinking that I might like to speed this thing up a bit. :dancy: Well, I know I can't really do that but I am getting impatient. The progress seems glacial. And now you're going to tell me it's early days! Well I did go from the walker to my trekking poles which will help with balance, I think, and regular walking. My quad is very weak so I have a ways to go on that. ROM is good so I can't complain about that. I am just getting a little cabin fever, I think. But I sure as heck don't want to go anywhere! Well, maybe I'll walk up to the corner and back. Thanks for letting me complain on this slow boat to China.
 
Wow Randi you are doing super! You are just two weeks out! I know it feels so slow to me too, at 3 weeks but your Dad is right! :yay:
 
Randi your doing amazing....im at 5 weeks now and getting around ok but still hurt some days better then others im cutting down on pain meds but still have issues sleeping comfortably in my bed i can for about 4 hours then i have to go back to recliner chair but thats an improvment..for 2 weeks out your amazing...way to go but dont over do it it doesnt help....
 
Randi just go part way to the corner the first time. I did that and it set me back. You can go all the way to the corner if half way doesn't hurt.
 
Slow and steady wins the race..... Glad you are doing so well... I know what you mean.... 3 1/2 weeks living in bed is wearing a little thin....:groan:But then I get to talk to you guys and I feel a bit better cause I am not alone. I find I have to concentrate on walking without limping... it will be nice when I don't have to concentrate so much.:dancy:
 
Randi, I also am active and got impatient early on. Now is the time to do some of those things you did not have time to do!! Put photos in an album, learn to knit, watch Jane Austen's videos, get NetFlicks, read lots of books, play the piano- invite some friends to take you to lunch. My ski group came and got me, then took me to lunch for almost five weeks. Invite some friends over to talk to you and to stop at the grocery store if you need anything. Write letters---well, you get my drift. This is NOT the time to do too much and make your knee swell. Kelly
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom