TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Wow... Sounds like we are all having a good week! Don't over do! That is my mantra... Do not over do!
Glad you had such a nice dinner. It is nice someone gets it!:cocktail: What kind of puppy?:puppysmooze:
 
My knee is wrinkled!! I am excited since I think it means the swelling is going down. Yay! Never so happy to see wrinkles in my life.
Joy, my sister has an Aussie puppy about 4mo. old. She is so smart and eager to please. She wore out my little guy- he pretty much slept for 24 hours! I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would do.
 
Randi - I appreciated your travails with pooping and the rest of your progress. My husband was so on me to move. Our formula - the Smooth Move tea (it is delicious and with all the other drugs we have to take, herbals are a nice change of pace), a daily Colace (stool softener), and as needed a bedtime Ducolax for women. It seems to work for the most part. So glad to hear your progress is going well!
 
I love Smooth Move tea! Also 500 mg of Magnesium at bedtime helps. I've pretty much resolved this issue but like everything else it's a "moving " target.
 
Wierd thing. I have been doing very well, getting stronger with minimal swelling , icing and elevating, doing my PT exercises but really taking it easy. Anyway today, my knee puffed up and got very painful and I really can't figure out why. I did one set of PT exercises, about 4 minutes on the bike and a 15 minute outing. I did sleep on my side for quite a while last night with a pillow tween my knees. I've always been a side sleeper so this has been really hard. So maybe I twisted it or something. It is really more swollen than its been for a while. Does this kind of thing just happen? Any ideas? I'm not worried, I just wish to avoid the activity that set it off. I'll tell you one thing, I don't think I'm going to resume my schedule this week: French class, marimba, meditation group, getting a haircut soon (!). It's easy to feel pretty successful laying up on the couch and around the house but I can't stand for more than 10-15 minutes and I don't think I could sit for more than 45 minutes. So I've had a set back, even while being a model patient! Any thoughts are appreciated.
 
Randi,

You will find that there are great, I am so excited moments, and then there are what did I do to myself moments! You are still in the early stages of recovery, so swelling will pop up from time to time. Take pain meds on schedule. Your body will start forgetting them naturally and then you will know you are ready. After 4 surgeries on the knees, I've become somewhat of an expert! :rotfl:
 
Hi Randi, sorry youve had a set back. Seems to be between 4 and 6 weeks we all have problems. Hopefully they will settle down soon as you dont seem to be doing anything wrong. Ive been on a four hour round trip to see my daughter today and my knee has swollen out with all the sitting down. Even model patients have set backs and youre just going to have to sit it out and let it pass. Forget all those activities. Relex and heal and the swelling will go down.
 
I am a dog lover---I would love to see the pic---but it is not showing up. Please review the instructions on how to post a picture so that we can all enjoy the pics of the pups!
 
I'll try this later. I'm laid up with my iPad and can't size the pics, etc. I'll have to go to my regular computer. I couldn't make it work on iPad.
 
It is easier to do on your regular computer! I am always traveling around with my iPad and I will take pictures and download them to my computer! :)
 
Tossed and turned all night , just couldn't get comfortable. I'm spoiled as I've been sleeping reasonably well. Even though I'm not doing much I did try to sit for a 1 1/2 hour board meeting in the afternoon yesterday. Very uncomfortable. In the morning I got a massage and even though my massage practioner is very good I think maybe it is too soon since my bodY was cranky later. I'm also finding that I'm feeling better :yay: but I really can't do much yet without overdoing. This overdoing is not the same as overdoing as I would normally think of it. It's mini-micro overdoing and it's back to the extra wide window seat for me. So here I sit, pain pill on board, leg up, ice, mmm, life is good.
 
Eeeeeyah! I am hurting! I was sore to begin with and then I went to PT! She was gentle and spent half the time with electrical stim, ice and some massage. Then I did some deceptively innocent exercises and after I got home the knee puffed up and I could barely walk to the bathroom! :yikes: on top of it all my sweetie had to go to Seattle for several days and I am all alone. :sad: don't worry, in my small town help is just a phone call away. For now my leg is elevated, with ice and two pain pills instead of one. :groan:
 
:console2:Awww.... it's the inocent exercises that get you for sure. Sounds like we are both on the couch with extra meds... :groan: As Scarlet said.... 'Tomorrow will be another day!' :flwrysmile:
 
I am not talking about mild discomfort. This is like the first week! I have to use the walker and barely weight the leg at all. Whine, I almost started the infamous crying, then didn't but the night is still young. Well my leg is up so I just need to wait it out. I even thought maybe there were loose bone chips in there but I'm guessing probably not. I hope it will be better tomorrow.
 
It looks like we are all in the same boat right now. I went to work for 4 hours, to lunch with my mom and grandmother, then to PT for 1 1/2 hrs, then to the drug store and then to the grocery store. I am beat! Got home and put the groceries away and then laid on the couch with the leg up and got on here to read about everyone's day. I will be in this position until bedtime tonight! I sure hope I can sleep tonight.
 
Randi, you are doing what you should be doing. One never knows how our knees will react. Just keep on icing and elevating and pill popping.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom