THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only had 3 "ouchies" and the rest were a piece of cake. :happydance:I feel the same way about the dedicated Nurses, Doctors and hospital team who have taken such good care of me. It is truly a miracle to have a cure for our broken joints and to be healed into a new life! :yay:
 
Ok um that hurt more than I thought it would. My BP is still a little low, so I definitely felt woozy standing there while she plucked those little suckers out! The nurse was great, and very funny and encouraging. I'm glad this is done, now I can look forward to a shower on Sunday after all the little pin-pricky holes heal up. Plus, I won't miss that "pulling" feeling from the staples.

It's been a really low-energy day for me, for sure, so I'm sort of letting it be that way, reading, watched a cute little sci-fi chick flick, looking out at the ocean. I've been doing a fair number of things for myself, but I'll admit, it's great having a husband who works most of the week from home. I love having him around, and I'm trying to stay out of his hair with varying degrees of success :-) All in all: Two week milestone, I got this, baby. I'm good.
 
Hi Deb, yes, I had the little 'ouch' sensation for just one of my 39 staples and then no problem, but agree with you it was a giddy sensation standing whilst getting them taken out.

Glad that you are recognising the low energy days and just pampering yourself by resting and giving in. You have the rest of your life to be active, for now your job is to recover. How lovely that you can sit and look at the ocean.. so good for the soul. Your hubby sounds such a sweetie!

Yes, THR's are truly miracles (for most of us) and it is fantastic when you get to the point of realisation that you pretty much have all ROM back that you want and need!... yours is coming!

Sharon, did you say your staples came out on their own?
 
The big thing is to keep it under control. If for right now you would feel better to have a refill then I would do it just to fell secure. :puppysmooze:Tashia
 
Yep, the trick is to set the alarm and stay ahead of the runaway pain.
 
I felt every 1 of my staples coming out and I think I'm a whimp lol But the scar is so neat. Your 1st shower will feel like heaven and you will so brighten up and feel refreshed. How lovely to watch the ocean. I was born by the sea and miss it so much. I'm 2 and a half weeks post op and I have fluctuactions of how impressed with how mobile I'm becoming then frustrated at silly things. You sound really upbeat so keep positive and enjoy the rest(something we all forget to do)
 
Fantastic Deb, you and your body are in charge of your recovery journey :)
 
Ooooo no! One of the differences from hip no one and number two was for some ungodly reason my OS used staples this time around vrs steri strips the first time. I am five days post opp and already dreading having them removed. I feel the baby in me surfacing, not pretty.
 
Haha Dave, it was definitely my babiest moment of the whole two weeks. Had a good adventure out today, walked maybe 1/20 of a mile with the one crutch! Went on a very short museum visit (one gallery only), then out for very welcome sushi dinner. So much fun to get out and it's a beautiful day here. I think it was just enough, not too much, as I don't seem to be suffering...yet!
 
Was very happy to go for a bit of an outing today with new hip and one brace. I won't say I didn't get pooped after about 2.5 blocks! Then a little turn around a museum gallery, then dinner. I knew I had done just enough! Now: rest! Ice! Elevate!
 
The good news is that the Babies seem to be doing the trick, and I've healed enough that my pain med needs are def. decreasing. I don't plan to deny myself, though, I've seen waaaay too many people here get lectured for trying to be all heroic!
 
Fantastic Deb...glad the babies worked... you are well on your recovery path... slow and steady will win the race with hips.
 
Wow! So impressed! You are just a week ahead of me in surgery and can't imagine giving my walker up! It sounds like you are very sensible about your limitations and sensitive to what you can do and need. Well done and to your continued strength and recovery!
 
You are doing very well Deb, and listening to your body and limitations with energy and stamina.. great!
 
Dave, only the removal of the first one is an 'ouch' moment... and then you are so busy concentrating on that sensation when the nurse will say - all done...

You will be fine :) DaveL;
 
Another milestone last night. I transitioned from sleeping in my recliner to sleeping in bed. I had NO trouble getting into bed (what a difference a week makes). Propped knees up w a big pillow and put a smaller pillow under my heels (how I hate the sensation of my heels on the mattress top). Had to sleep on my back all night, which was not great for my back, but I got a surprisingly good night's sleep. I must admit the recliner feels like a more natural sleeping position if one must sleep on one's back. That gentle curve is so comfy. OTOH I love sleeping with my mate. I may experiment back and forth. Once I can comfortably sleep on my side (i.e., no pain and no danger of breaking restrictions), I'll be full time in bed, for sure.
 
deb, sorry you were hurt when they removed the staples. I didn't have that experience at all. Just felt a bit of a tug and that was it.

Try putting a pillow under your knees to ease the pressure on your back. If you try to sleep on your side be sure and use a pillow between your legs. You don't want that leg to drop forward onto the bed - breaks your restrictions.
 
Thx Jaycey. I did use a big fat pillow under my knees to relieve my back. I will avoid sleeping on my side until it does not hurt! I tried it with a big pillow so as not to cross my feet, but found no comfort in it.
 
Hi Deb, sounds like you are doing brilliantly, being able to sit and look out at the ocean sounds like heaven, I would be happy to do that all day :)

When I began to sleep in my unoperated side I used a thinnish pillow and used it lengthways from my knees to my ankles. I found this to be much more comfy than having it just between my knees.

Keep up the good work, you are coming along great

Take care

Ann
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom