THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you have all your contingencies covered. If it does turn out to be too ambitious, you won't do irreparable damage. Hope it's really good....you might nod off anyway. :)
 
We loaded up my big cushion, my little cushion, my leg lifter, pain pills, water and ice gel pak and headed to the movies! Wasn't sure it was a good idea, but boy, was it ever! So lovely to get out of the house, take a little ride in the car, and do some problems solving on Keeping Deb Comfy While Not At Home. We sat me up in the handicapped section with lots of room in front of the seat. I sat on my big cushion, turned the walker on its side and put the small cushion on it to elevate my leg, and slapped my ice pak on. Comfy! Fortunately no crowds at the cinema. Getting in and out of the car was SO much easier than Tuesday, what with just that much more strength and flexibility from the PT. I bet I'll want to get out again mid-week, now that I see how do-able it is. Now, chillaxin' in the chillcliner! By the way, if you like scifi, Prometheus is big loud fun!
 
What fun! and it does make you feel like you're a normal human being to do something "regular" people are doing. Glad it turned out to be such a good idea for you and that you enjoyed it. Take care, keep us posted. we care.
 
Hey guys, I have a question about whether I should do something or if it's just plain crazy. This would fall into the category of "too much, too soon?"

Before my surgery date, I signed up for a class which takes place next Saturday and Sunday all day. This would be one day after my staples get removed.

The class would require me sitting upright (tho I'm pretty sure I could use a cushion) for 7 hours the first day and 6 hours the second. The work would be pretty intensive -- I do lampwork beadmaking (although I let it drop off a lot this past few months as it was difficult to sit for long periods of time.) First day, make a big batch of beads; the second day, the beads would be assembled with wire into a work of wearable art.

I'm getting along really well walking around with my walker, but I have to admit, sitting upright is not so comfortable for me. I've been rapidly feeling a whole lot better day by day, so it could be that by the time Saturday comes around, I'll be a whole lot more comfy in the sitting position. Putting off the decision is not an option, as I can get my $$ fee is I give them a couple days to fill my spot in the class (which will likely not be a problem, as the artist teaching the class is pretty well-known).

What's the worst that can happen at the two week stage? I really don't want a serious setback, esp. since my sister is coming to visit me for a few days on Sunday, and I'd love to be up to doing some walking around town with her. If I get an onset of inflammation or out of control pain. My pain pills do not make me feel woozy or anything but I would hesitate to take more than the prescribed amount.

I've probably answered my own question here, and I can even anticipate what y'all will mostly say. Still, I'd love to take the class, and am curious about any input, esp from anyone who tried something similar at two weeks post-surgery.
 
Deb,
I wanted to think carefully before I replied. Two weeks post surgery I went to PT outside the house, then went to Whole Foods to shop as my friend who stayed with me was leaving the next day and I wanted to shop for myself while he was still here to carry and put away. We were out for about 5 hours.
For me, it was a very tough day. I found that I had to play catch up in terms of pain level. I did not leave the house again until day 18, when i drove myself to the drug store for meds.
However, everyone's situation is different. I found that I was tired out just by taking care of myself and my dog and dealing with my multiple stairs on my own.
Only you can decide, but those 2 days sound very long to me, even without very recent surgery, plus having a visitor arriving just after. A full plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
I suggest reading Jo's progression of activity for THR in the library. Sorry I don't know how to provide a direct link.
I think that my recovery would have been easier if I had followed it more closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Here is my take--if you have already paid for the course, then go and spend a couple hours in the am. talk to the professor and explain your problem. Then, if you are up to it, go back for one hour or so in the pm. You won't learn as much or do as much, but it will give you an opportunity to see the techniques. The second day, I think you will have to spend in bed with your leg up. Get the prof to call you before show and tell. If you are up for it. go to see what the others have made. It will give you ideas. take a camera and enjoy a little of something--you simply cannot do two full days at two weeks--you will fall asleep at your desk!! K
 
Are you still taking pain meds? I would be very concerned about the safety of using the torch while on narcotics. You may feel okay, but your reflexes aren't quite there.

Is there anyway you could postpone the class and take it another time? I took a class that was very similar to what you are describing when I was about ten weeks post-op and it went really well. It would have been too much for me at two weeks though and I had a really easy recovery.

I hate to say not to do it, but I really think it would set back your recovery. By three months, you will be so much further along. Can you plan something really cool then instead?
 
Wow, great feedback! I recently took a look at Jo's week by week recovery outline, and this would definitely be outside it. Unfortunately, the class is about 35 miles away, so just coming and going is not an option. Plus, if I can't really do the stuff involved, it's a big waste of money (class is NOT cheap). And yeah, the "torch on narcotics" did run through my head, too. The same class probably will not be offered, as the artist lives in Michigan; but there will probably be something comparable in the next six months. I don't really think it's worth the risks that you all have reminded me of. Thanks, and any one else wants to throw in their nickle, go ahead!
 
Well, here's an opinion! Bull's Eye in Portland offers fantastic classes all the time. Plan a vacation in Oregon in a couple of months to do some glass and celebrate your recovery. Is that crazy? Because it's what I did. :)

Bull's Eye runs their semi-annual sale in August BTW. The glass is 30 to 50% off.
 
At two weeks, I was still taking vicodin at night and tramadol during the day. My main activity was PT, and I needed a good restorative nap afterward. What about you? Are you still needing one or multiple naps during the day? How do you feel after PT....does it tucker you out? Also, two full days of that kind of sitting means little opportunity for icing and elevation. If you don't mind losing the cost of the class, you can try it....but don't overpush yourself. When you get tired, you need to opt out for a while, much like Kelly said. Will this class be offered again in the forseeable future? I understand the draw of specialized instruction from guest artists. Very hard to give up. Is there anywhere at the place you take the class where you can escape to lie down for a while, ice, elevate? Tricky decision....I predict you are going to go. We want to know every little detail about how it goes for you. Could it set you back? Yes. Is it worth it....your decision.

Jo is going to come by and throw up her hands in exasperation! :)

Sharon
 
Alex, it's one of my dream trips! I've been working with glass for a few years now, and have so much left to learn. In fact, I'm missing a big glass bead gathering in Seattle in July because of this surgery. But yes! Fantastic! Are you stilll doing glass art?
 
Hahaha! I know, Sharon, I'm being "one of those people" whom *I* roll my eyes at: what the heck are they thinking??? I'm lucky to live in a area that has a fair number of glass classes, it's just that this artist is quite special. Between the drive there and back two days in a row, and having to take icing/elevating breaks...I'm in fact thinking I might go the cautious route. I CAN be an overachiever, for sure, but this is too important. I'm still on oxycodone and oxycontin, and while I'm up and moving a fair amount and my PT does not knock me out, still: I think circumspection is called for, and I do want quality time with my sister. Thanks!
 
Deb, I make it to bullseye a few times per year. I do mostly fusing (so soft glass), some beads, enamel, but that was a while ago. I had to give it all up because of my hip. I don't have my own studio and the place I use is not handicap accessible. I got back into it in a big way when I was three months post-op. Went to Portland. Bought tons of glass. Shininess happened!
 
Deb, if you can't go back and forth, and the drive is 35 miles? I would not go. When you are walking around your house, you start to feel better--but you are underestimating the effort to go out. Just for fun, tomorrow pretend it is class day. Get up early, sower and be ready to leave the house by 8---see what I mean?

There will be other classes and other times. Now is the time to put your feet up and rest. I am also an artist and I did not even get into my studio which is the lower level of our house for almost three weeks. Kelly
 
Wise and sound advice, Kelly. My glass studio is on the lower level of our house, too, and I was thinking about heading down to make a few beads this weekend if I don't go to the class. Just have to figure out what to sit on! But I love the problem-solving challenges presented by my situation, frankly, its made me use my brain in a whole different way, and I'm a lot more in touch with my body than I've been for a while.
 
Had my second PT visit today, and it is clear how far I've come, and how far I have to go, and how much patience is going to be required :-)
She took a look at what I'm doing (bringing knee up, leg lifts to the side and back, a few other moves) and helped me refine them. She gave me just one additional move, shifting my weight from leg to leg. I had hoped to get off the walker, but she said it's too soon to use a cane, and I know she's right. We tried substituting crutches (not underarm ones) for the walker, but I felt like I have more independence and a stronger gait using the walker. Plus, I can stop and do stuff without having to "put" anything anywhere. We did the stairs, which is fine, and I thought I might be able to use the walker to go up the street for a little walk, but the pavement is too funky and it ended up sort of hurtin because the walker is not heavy-duty enough. All in all it was a wonderful visit. I'll just be diligent about my exercises and getting up and about as much as possible, doing laps with the walker, and continuing to ice and elevate. She complimented my good sense in knowing that there is a certain pace to all of this and trying my best to stay within it, while pushing myself just enough.

PS I canceled my spot in the flamework class. There will be plenty of fun things to spend that money on in the future.
 
I think you made a wise choice about the class. There will be plenty of time for that later. You are making such great progress so early in recovery. I'd hate to see you have a setback now, when you're doing so well. If you can stay patient a while longer, I bet you'll be back to doing as much glass as you want very soon. Definitely by bullseyes big sale in August. :wink:
 
Deb, a minor disappointment in the schema of things that need doing in the the next two months!! You are doing well, and this is just the time to not overdo---I overdid at this stage and spent a night in bed with so much pain, I could not believe it was just from too much. I was in agony--I ate percosets like candy. I went the next day to my OS and told him something was wrong--but, it was the pain from doing too much. Careful now will save you from that experience. K
 
I have a question for y'all. My pain management has been oxycontin and oxycodone (Big and Baby, I call them). I've been fairly religious about Big, taking one at 8 am and one at 8 pm on the nose. I find I only need to take about 4 Babies a day (one at a time), mostly to keep in front of pain rather than because I'm in pain. Therefore, at almost two weeks post-surgery, I am about to run out of Big, and have a whole of Babies left (scrip was to take up to 8x a day). My pain level in general has been amazingly low, but I think it's because I've been in front of it.

So yeah, these are major drugs. I have mixed feelings about asking for a refill of Big; esp. since I have so many Babies left. However, I also know that my PT is going to start getting more intense; I'm not sure, though, that Big will be the optimal drug - may be more powerful than I need, which might be an anti-inflammatory perhaps paired with a Baby.

After reading a few accounts of intense pain past 2 weeks post-op, I almost feel like I'd like to have little store of Bigs, just in case. I've never had any addiction issues, so I feel okay having them in the house and not taking them unless I need them.

I plan to talk to talk to visiting nurse AND surgeon's office about this, but you are my peeps, and I'd like your feedback.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom