THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A couple bumps in the road: going home tomorrow

Ahhhh adaflorida, if twere true I were in my bed. It turned out my bed is not very good for me right now. Going from flat to sitting up and getting out of it several times a night proved to be too much for me and my partner. (I'm drinking A LOT of water to get my blood numbers up faster.) I have an amazingly comfy recliner from which I can launch myself into my walker for the trips to the bathroom. The PT I'm doing right now is in service of getting me back in bed at night, partly.
 
Re: A couple bumps in the road: going home tomorrow

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! those recliners are the bomb after hip surgery (and knee surgery, too). I would not have made it through hip or knee recovery without mine.

I would try to stay in bed for at least 3 hours, but usually ended up in the recliner most nights because I just could not get comfortable in bed. And right you are---getting out of the recliner for those bathroom trips was much easier.

Hoping you continue to improve day by day. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Note to self One Week Later

Hi Deb, you're probably pretty nervous right now about your surgery and what goes on after. You'll be going under in about 1.5 hours and waking up about 2 hours after that. The good news: you're surgery went great!! The less-good-but-still-not-bad-news? You've got a couple of rough spots coming up, but nothing you can't handle.

The first was the post-GA nausea, which you were not expecting. Especially since it didn't kick in until the middle of the night. The nurses were great in getting you medication for it, but it took a while to kick in: like, about 12 hours! But it did get better, in time for you to really enjoy the little tea sandwiches and sweets your girlfriends brought you from High Tea on Saturday!

Good news is that the pain pump really, really works! Don't be shy about pushing that button when it goes green, girl! I might add: enjoy that urinary catheter while you got it, because when they take it out you will have a rough spot to contend with. Like, the fact that you've just had loads of IV fluids pumped into you, AND have been drinking lots of water. And every time you have to pee, it's a pretty complicated and painful maneuver. Still: keep drinking plenty of water!

I really want to tell you that the fact your surgery IV blew and they couldn't find a vein to put another one for a couple of hours, three nurses, and about 8 tries (finally, the crisis nurse struck red gold): it will make you feel pretty wretched when it is mentioned 6 hours later that THAT IV location might also be blown? It's okay to cry right then.

After, that, darling Deb, it's pretty much more of the same. The low hemoglobin is nothing that unusal, so just chill about not being able to do as much PT as you'd like, and know that your blood will rebuild in about three weeks. You went in strong, fortunately. Order food regularly, for it is very delicious! You will have a couple of truly exceptional, and even more pretty damn fabulous, nurses and aides. And your doc comes to see you every morning, and he imparts so much confidence and robustness, you'll just be carried along with it.

Best of all, Deb? When you go home, after figuring out a few details on the fly, you will get stronger hour by hour, with the help of the best helpmeet ever. All the other gaps will be filled in by a competent staff of visiting nurses, PTs, and OTs.

Enjoy your recovery! It may just go as well as you hoped it would; but be very careful and don't forget your precautions!

Love,
Deb
 
Re: Note to self One Week Later

OOOh, and Deb, how could I forget but mention: all those hours you spent on BoneSmart forums? Totally NOT a waste of time! Having the amount of knowledge you had going into this thing made a HUGE difference. Ice! Elevate! Medicate! Best. Knowledgebase. Ever!!
 
Re: Note to self One Week Later

:thumb:

Deb, you're doing just fine, hon. I have merged your three recovery threads into this original one so that we can keep all your updates in one place. Please continue to post here when you let us know your progress or when you have questions or concerns.

Hope recovery goes well for you!!!
 
Deb, your notes one week later are very encouraging. My friends told me to keep a diary and I didn't, but wish I did! Your recliner sounds delicious (so is your avatar, it's making me hungry!); I was so uncomfortable in bed and didn't have a second choice. Note to self if there has to be a next time. Looking forward to hearing how your doing today :). Tracy
 
Hi Debs Great to hear you are back home mind and take things easy exercise in small doses and you will get there.
 
Hi Again, I wrote a poetical little "letter to myself" with an account of my surgery, hospital time, and first week of recovery, but I guess it banned for some reason. Anyway, I'll try again and make it less personal. BTW I am doing fantastically! So much that I've read here has come to pass this past week! How wonderful to be at least theoretically prepared for many of the changes I've been through!
 
oh hey, Sharon! The Lovenox is as nothing!! I've done all the shots but the very first one myself. Big fat MEH! I sorta want to slap (gently) the girl in the video I saw on youtube for making it look like such a big deal. Then again I have a dear friend who suffers from deep vein thrombosis, he HATES needles, and it is a big deal for him even after two years. So....I thank my ancestors my nonqueasy nature!
 
Congratulations on your success with the Lovenox ! The thought is definitely worse than actually doing it. Make sure to not inject in the same spot, it will sting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Oh!! Now I see that my posts were combined into one big recovery thread! I'm so glad! I thought it was nixed by an admin for some reason! I loved writing it so much, that I started crying when I read it back to my husband. Then again, the oxy(s) tend to make me a little emotional.
 
Great to hear you are doing so well! Yippeee!! It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About the emotions, I remember it well. It's not only the meds, it's the whole process too. This is a big deal for your body and mind.
BTW, those cookies are making me hungry!

Dorothy'
 
Deb, as a former English teacher, who often used letter-writing in unusual ways to get my students writing with a stronger voice (and to avoid copying passages out of the encyclopedia!), I loved it when your wrote your letter to yourself. I'm glad you realized your threads had just been merged and it wasn't lost or censored in any way!!

Sharon
 
Hi Again, I wrote a poetical little "letter to myself" with an account of my surgery, hospital time, and first week of recovery, but I guess it banned for some reason. Anyway, I'll try again and make it less personal. BTW I am doing fantastically! So much that I've read here has come to pass this past week! How wonderful to be at least theoretically prepared for many of the changes I've been through!

Deb......your "Letter To Self" wasn't banned at all. It was just combined into your original recovery thread as we like to keep each person's recovery story all in one place. It's HERE in this thread and it was very enjoyable to read!
 
Yes, thank you Jamie! In the confusion of the change over to your really SO much better new interface, it appeared that it got taken down. It didn't make any sense to me, so I overreacted, I think because writing it was so theraputic. All is well! Love you guys.
 
Well, we honestly could NEVER think of doing away with something so heartfelt as your letter to yourself!:thumb:
 
sounds like you r dong great. I just got a keyboard for my ipad---I could not take it any longer!! Kelly
 
OK hope this is not too crazy, but planning to go out tomorrow noon to see "Prometheus." My partner went to the midnight show opening day, which happened to be the night before my surgery (with my blessing!). We are making the lists for making sure I'm comfy (pillow to sit=upon, extra cushion for my walker to act as a foot rest/elevator, ice pack). I'm getting along really well, but I'm wondering: will I be one of those people who you shake your head at and say "That's way too ambitious for PSD9"? Esp when she gets back and posts "I don't know what I was thinking!" Or should I just go for it? It is true, only I know how I feel. And if we have to leave, we can do so. The thing I dread most is getting into and out of the car, but only because it was so hard after release: we had, tho, failed to bring supporting pillows. Anyway, as you can see, I'm awake and overthinking, hooray!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom