THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the dosage? I had 10 mg oxycontin and 5 mg oxycodone, with a similar schedule to yours. I preferred oxycodone for PT because it seemed to work more quickly. Oxycontin is extended release, so it didn't seem to work as well when I wanted relief right now. It's the same active ingredient in both, you know.

Anyway, like you, I had a prescription for a limited amount if oxycontin and a lot (80 tablets maybe) of oxycodone. I switched to just oxycodone at two weeks post-op and was completely off narcotics two weeks later. I started out with 4 of the 5 mg ocycodone per day instead of 2 of the 10 mg oxycontin, so I was really taking the same amount. Then I decreased from there.

That was just my experience though and your nurse and surgeon will be able to make an informed recommendation for you.
 
I'd say go for the refill. You are still early in recovery and if this combination is working for you, why mess with success!
 
Ah Deb, I was sure you were going to be the rebel among us. :) I'm almost disappointed! But truly glad caution overrode your enthusiasm this go-round.

You will be trading in the walker for a cane in no time. And once you have a nice steady and even gait, the cane will be history too. It is a thrill to walk again with a long, strong stride and have nothing hurt.

Where in Michigan is your artist? Come here to take a workshop, and we'll get together for coffee. :)

Sharon
 
Alex, yes, I forgot to give the dosages: 10mg Big, 5mg Baby, same as you. I know they are the same, that's why I call them Big and Baby. IIt sounds like you did what I'm thinking about doing, just taking Baby in place of Big and as needed. Hmmm. I'm very curious about what my docs office will say. Jamie, I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to have some Big on hand, yeah. I feel so good right now, it's hard to imagine that I could go to a painful place -- I also have been known to push myself physically, and once I get in the pool, my perspective might not be what it should.
 
Heheheh... I am here reading your last post Deb and thinking it sounds as though you are having such fun with Big and Baby... sorry hon to make light of a serious topic such as pain med management, but your description made me chuckle and laughter has been a bit light on in my life for the past week... Thanks babe :tada:
 
Deb, that was my OS's PA's recommendation to make it easier to decrease my pain meds. The big disadvantage with oxycodone was that I needed to wake up in the middle of the night to take a pill. For pain meds that are not extended release, I found it important to stay on a schedule even at night. It was worth it though, since I felt like oxycontin was more than I needed. It didn't last that long anyway.
 
Hi All! I was just tottling along with my walker to the bathroom. I glanced over and saw my brace crutch that I use to go up and down stairs. It looked so...inviting. I turned to it, took it in my hand, and proceeded on to the bathroom, leaving my walker forlorn and empty in the hall.

I did not get permission from the PTist to do this the other day (Tuesday). She told me, and I agree, that it's too soon to transition to a cane. We tried two crutches, but I felt too restricted using two. We didn't try just one.

But boy howdy, I've been (carefully) exploring using the one crutch, and by gollly, it feels reallly right. I feel a little naked without my "cage" around me, and maybe a little vulnerable. But I'm not doing outlandish things, and have my precautions firmly in mind, steadying myself when standing and sitting, etc.

I called the PTist to let her know I did this, and that I would be on alert if it felt like too much, too soon. But I feel like it is the right thing right now to move forward and make myself an active participant in my recovery and strengthening.

Off to do afternoon sets of PT -- and feeling pretty durn good! I want to thank Dysplasia for the inspiration!!
 
Did 1/2 day with brace. Think I'll take it 1/2 day at a time and go back to my walker for the evening. Feel a tiny little twingey and my knee feels a little more worked than normal. Tomorrow, back at it!
 
Wow Deb, that is fantastic, please be careful, still early days... well done though :)
 
Tonight I am experimenting with one Baby and a 500mg OTC tylenol. Bigs are at hand in case of breakthrough pain! I've only got two Bigs left, so this seems like the time to see how I do without them.
 
Good luck tonight Deb, hope you get a good nights sleep.
 
Tomorrow is 2 weeks since my surgery, and the visiting nurse is coming to remove the staples from my incision. Will it hurt, or just creep me out :-)?

I feel pretty good about my progress. It is amazing what the human body can adapt to. And might I say: I am full of respect for the medica community that has made this surgery in general the sucess that it is, has been, and will be for people suffering from hip problems of all kinds. I feel so luck to be alive in this time! And I'm really grateful to have found a home in this forum. What a bunch of kind and sharing folks you are!
 
My reaction to my experiment is sort of "meh." While I wouldn't say I felt "pain" per se, and I actually slept pretty well, upon awakening I felt -- unease. I'm going to see the visiting nurse today for staple removal, and will get her bead on it. I've got a lot of oxycodone left, but my gut tells me to ask my surgeon's office to call in a refill for the oxycontin. It would just make me feel so much more secure.
 
Okay, well that question got answered! My doc does NOT refill Big, but will refill Baby or switch me over to a different pain killer if necessary. And I'm good with that! I just may be popping more pills than I've been accustomed, and will need to be aware of "staying in front of the pain."
 
Not too early at all! I used a walker for 2 days. From thereafter it was two crutches until I got home. After one week I ditched on crutch and only used one, even abandoning that in week 3! But I used two crutches when outside just for the extra confidence. No-one told me to, I just felt ready to so I did! In other words, I listened to the knee! I suggest you do the same!
 
Turned out my body wants me on one crutch part of the day, and the walker the rest. Now that I know what my pain mgmt route will be, I'll be more on top of it, because I DO feel some pain and a bit of tiredness after going about for 15 or 20 minutes with the crutch. Anyway, I'm feeling like I'm making progress, which is important to me!
 
Congrats Deb! Good that you tried and found out what was right for you! I was on a walker for 10 days and then to a cane, just tried it out myself around the house. Continued best wished on your recovery! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom