THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Deb, just wondering if you have progressed with your thinking about the NW poles?
 
Ack! No retail stores in my little 'burg sell Nordic Walking poles, so I'll have to head to San Jose or San Francisco for them! AND my husband stole my bicycle seat a few months ago and hasn't given it back, so no biking yet. BUT a switch flipped this past weekend and I've pretty much given up my cane, except a little bit in the evenings on strenuous days. I still have some pain, for sure, because them muscles are still not 100%. PT continues and gets more challenging, which I love. Non-PT pool time has been sporadic, as I am taking pain meds at night and finding it very hard to arise at 6 AM. But all in all: an upward trajectory. I seem to be the tortoise in this race, slow and steady and heading to the finish line.
 
Deb, glad you are doing well and feeling better! Yes, sometimes hips recover fast and sometimes slower. My two hips were pretty different. Especially happy that you are able to give up the cane most of the time. That was a big step for me and confirmation that I really WAS going to be OK again.

Dorothy
 
Great news, Deb!!! Turning a corner is a cool thing! Really, he stole your bike
seat? That's just not right! :-)
 
Aloha Deb,
I ordered some poles from the Internet. I was contacted to provide my height for sizing. They should be here maybe today.

I am in a similar position in regard to healing. I still have a limp and need my cane occasionally. But progress is good.

Keep up the good work!
Nancy
 
My poles arrived yesterday so I tried them out this morning. They seem to be of high quality. I definitely walked straighter and a bit faster this morning. Now I just need someone to come train my dog to heel. :-).

Hope you can find some NW poles that will work for you.
 
trkkoa what brand did you purchase? Looking for first-hand recommendations.

A new pain arose last night in my left buttock, right above my incision site. Not sure where THIS came from, I'm not doing anything all that different, except walking exclusively without a cane.

I have grown weary of pain, I must admit. Just wondering when it will be done with, but I guess that's partly up to me and getting back in shape.
 
Hi Deb, I ordered from Amazon. The brand name is Swix. Used them once and liked then so far. Then I got on a plane and left them at home. These do not telescope or fold so I didn't want to hassle with taking them with me. I am vacationing at our cabin this week near Tahoe and am thinking about checking out a couple of the sporting goods places here to see if I can get a pair to leave.
 
Good news! Released from PT after 18 visits, now I'm on my own. I began going to water exercise about month ago, twice a week. Best of all, I rode my bike for the first time last week, and had my third ride today. So, it's only 1.3 miles from my house to my job, but it's a gentle incline the entire way, and I've got a hella heavy bike. I can tell a slight improvement in my strength already.
Unfortunately, I appear to have either biceps tendinitis (out of nowhere, not even my cane arm) or a bone spur on my rotator cuff. The same day I was released from hip PT, I started shoulder PT!!
 
Oh, another thing: totally off painkillers now except for one Aleve a day, mostly for my shoulder. Even with just Tramadol, I had a few rough nights getting to sleep, getting it out of my system. And no: the pain in my hip is not completely gone, but it no more than a 2 or 3, typically. It is so delightful to be at this stage! A month ago I was concerned that it seemed so far away! But I also know I have a long road ahead to total healing.
 
I have just read your story from start to finish. You have come such a long ways. I am a baby at post op day #5 and yesterday my Mother called to tell me I should not be taking any pain medication. Your story helped set me straight. Before I went into surgery my dentist told me that his OS told him that it takes a joint a full year to heal completely. You are a third of the way there! Take care and have a wonderful day!
 
Thanks, Catherine! You know, I hadn't actually re-read my posts, ever, so I did today after hearing from you. I am so glad to have in any way helped you out. It is HILARIOUS how folks who love us can be so clueless; I think they don't quite understand what we have gone through. Have your mom watch a video of the procedure and then tell you that you should not be on meds!! I'm going to head over to your thread (I assume you have one?) and keep up with YOU now! The biggest take-away I have is this: despite the down days, and the days when it seems like you are making a step backwards, you are ALWAYS and continuously getting better. Don't be hard on yourself, trust your body's instructions, and don't let anyone who has not been through this procedure tell you how you SHOULD be doing. With love, let them know your needs. Good luck!!
 
Eight months! And I gotta say: I am not sorry I got the surgery, but I am still having some issues with pain. I break the 90-degree rule all the time, because I know I won't have dislocation, but it does hurt. There are some days when I literally forget that I have a THR, but that is not the rule. My muscles and soft tissue are still rebounding, as I expected they would be for up to a year or more. I am biking a little, and started rowing crew again in January - I've mostly been working out on the ergometer (rowing machine), and have been out on the water twice (gosh, did I miss it!). My strength (diminished from over a year of little strenuous exercise) is slowly building; I may be in racing trim for the last races of the Spring sprint season, but for sure for the Fall head race (5k) season. I still have weight to lose, and I need to get a good, lightweight step-through bike for getting around town. Once I retire (in one month: HOOOORAY! :dancy: ), I can get to the pool for laps and aqua exercise more frequently. All in all, I knew from the outset that it would take a while to be 100%. It seemed like forever until I could walk without assistance; then another forever until I walked comfortably without a limp. Now, waiting for the pain to go away completely, and I know that is mainly up to ME, as the hip is doing what it was designed for. Looking forward to my year check up in June! :thumb:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Aloha From The Other Side
It's so good to hear from you. Sorry there's still some pain issues, but you seem to be doing very well and be quite active. Retirement in a month [Bonesmart.org] Aloha From The Other Side you will LOVE it!!!
Yes, some of us are slower than others, but we DO get there! Will be looking forward to your update in June---although you don't have to wait that long to post us.

Take care----we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Aloha From The Other Side
 
Yep, I hear you, Deb. I do just fine, but I can't get away from still needing a Celebrex at least every other day still. At the same time, I can pretty much do everything I want to do, so no complaints. Full healing can take up to two years....still early in the game. Happy upcoming retirement....it is a pleasure. :)

Sharon
 
Sharon, I have to say THANK YOU!!!!! I had a prescription for Celebrex pre-surgery and I stopped taking it because it had no effect on my arthritis pain. But wow! It's a miracle drug for this "healing" pain. I started taking it again last week, and the difference is amazing, kind of miraculous, even. Thanks for reminding me. I really didn't like taking Tramadol for pain AT ALL but it's the only thing that seemed to help. I've really been enjoying these pain-free days, and it's helped me to step up my exercise a lot.
 
LOL....I am laughing, Deb, because the day I wrote that post to you is the day I started trying to drop Celebrex once again. So now I'm 16 days drug-free, and while I have a lot of stiffness still, I am managing quite well. I did take it just one day last weekend so I could dance....and it is indeed a miracle pill. I move so freely when I take it.

BUT....it's been a long dreary winter, and I've pretty much spent it indoors doing only sedentary things. I am quite confident that as soon as I can get out walking daily...and frequently....my stiffness and muscle aching will be history.

When you get to feeling consistently good with the Celebrex, you could try going every other day for a while and see how well that manages your pain. There is light at the end of these tunnels!!

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom