Guest viewing is limited

THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
:giggle: You're so right Deb, no medals on here for trying to be a hero, just a proper ticking off for going in too hard.
 
Annie, did you get my pm? There should be a little red alert (1) in the top right hand corner.
 
Hey Deb, if you don't mind, explain the aloha reference in your thread title.One of my life's obsessions is anything pertaining to the islands.
 
:) Okay, you "staples babies".... here is a solution for you. Take your meds 30 mins before you know your nurse is going to take them out. I had no issue with them (maybe I have a high tolerance for pain?); they felt itchy more than anything, and my nurse described to me that I would notice when they were ready to come out (like a Butterball Turkey internal thermometer); the skin outside of the staple gets a little pinkish meaning "done." Mine were taken out two weeks to the day post op. All 28 of them. No issue, and boy it felt good to have them out! Focus on everything else that is more important to this invasive surgery and recovery....and how great your life is going to be in such a short time.

God bless Bonesmart!
 
Annie, did you get my pm? There should be a little red alert (1) in the top right hand corner.


Thanks for pointing that out Jo, I hadn't noticed, have replied.x.
 
Haha! Yah I don't even remember the prickly little pain now, it's so nice to have the staples out. Tonite is my last Lovenox injection so hooray on that! I really am feeling overwhelmingly positive about everything. But sometimes, ya know, ya wanna whine for a minute without getting scolded for it. I'm fully aware of what a really easy time I'm having in my recovery compared to some other folk's experiences!
 
Oh and Dave, just aloha as on hello, nothing more than that. Except that as I am here on the other side of surgery, I'm also making my way to full recovery and saying aloha as in farewell. At least until the other hip goes :-)
 
It's been two weeks to the day since I came home from the hospital. I can hardly believe it. Today's milestone: first shower! And a 1/10 mile walk along the ocean. I probably could've taken a shower sooner after the staples were removed, but was a little paranoid about infection, so strictly followed what the nurse told me to do. I am getting around great. No more walker, even in the evenings. I hope to transition to cane in the next few days. I'm up and around the house a lot, taking generous breaks in my recliner, and sticking w my original PT but doing two extra sets and 5 more reps. Gonna give driving a go on Friday (so glad I now have an automatic). PT told me no swimming or aqua classes until the incision is 100% healed, so maybe next week sometime. I feel like I'm right where I should be: only taking maybe 1 to 2 5mg oxycodone during the day, 2 at night. how miraculous to walk around with no hip pain! I'm still so buzzed about it!
 
I should mention I started using onE brace-style crutch last week, until I would feel fatigued, then using the walker the rest of the day. Now the crutch feels absolutely fine all day.
 
Walker is Permanently Parked. One brace all the time. Will go for cane in the next days, at least part time. Have not even tried yet.
 
Great feeling when you park the walker! Congratulations! You are on your way, just keep listening to your body and what feels right. Remember, you are the best guide to know when you can move to the next step:)
Dee
 
Oh! I just read your thread and you sound like you are making a fantastic recovery! That is wonderful that you have the ocean to lull you asleep, an understanding partner and are already on one crutch! It sounded scary getting the staples out!!
Yes, isn't it just some amazing miracle to have the pain gone? This makes me giddy everytime I walk across the room.
Wishing you continued success in your recovery! Warmest wishes.
 
Hahaha! Foiled by Real Life! Got up for my 3 AM pee, grabbed my brace, and pitched right over!! Fortunately caught myself so no harm done but to my pride. HAD to post for anyone who felt vaguely jealous of my rate of recovery. Looks like Ms. Walker only wants to be semi-retired. I'll keep her on the night shift!
 
Heh, just a little humbled. Woke for my 3 AM pee, started to proceed with brace, pitched over into night stand! Guess I'll keep Ms Walker on the night shift payroll :-)
 
This week has two milestones so far: first full on showers (oh my gosh, has anything ever felt more luxurious?), and sleeping well and comfortably in my own bed. True, I was propped up and supported by pillows like a Pasha, but still! Me, my husband and the cat were all well pleased.
 
OK so you Brits of a certain age will love this: my "recovery" junk food viewing is Gerry & Sylvia Anderson's Space: 1999. I just love everything of theirs, especially "UFO" and of course "Thunderbirds." Having a great time!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom